Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going it alone

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Friday 28th Dec - A little bit of a few different things today. Im doing a few of the Tribesports challenges so my run was sandwiched in between a short turbo warm up and cool down. 3.59 mile run on the treadmill and 12 mins on the rowing machine followed by some strength work and stretching. Happy to be back at it after days of overindulging.

Sat 29th Dec - Tri club cycle today. 64.71 stop-starty kms. Bad luck for some of the club members- one had a bit of an asthma issue, two had punctures and one had to turn home early as had a very chesty cough and couldnt keep the pace. I found the pace tough at times and then got my second wind towards the end and flew home hitting 40kph pace for long stretches with the wind at our backs.

Suday 30th Dec - Up bright and early for a run with a friend. Wind howling, rain lashing down- we must be half cracked. Took the tough, incredibly hilly 7.5 mile route around Portroe. She is much faster than me so I spent most of the run apologising for my snail-like pace. Everyone was still in bed when I got home so I headed out to the garage to pass some time on the turbo so as not to disturb them. After 15 mins of easy spinning I hopped on the treadmill for 16 mins then decided I'd had enough and it was time to wake the house.

I just realised im 93.3kms away from gold in the bike in the SBR challenge. I'm half tempted to do a 3.5 hr turbo tomorrow just to get it :D but that would be madness as I hadnt planned anything like that for tomorrow- I have already a swim and a run pencilled in. What to do????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Okay doll....just a quick Happy New Year toast for you....
    Here's to your infectious enthusiasm and your glass half full attitude. You are an asset to this place we call the dark side. Thank you for inspiring me and making me smile. :) Happy New Year!!!

Monday 31st Dec - Last session of the year:)
    Managed to drag my arse out of bed early this morning for a swim after a very late night. I knew this one was going to be short but I was determined to go and get my 400m TT done. 15 length easy slow warm up then off I went. It wasn't fast, it wasnt pretty but 9:38 mins later I was finally done. Embarrassingly slow but actually faster than I had predicted:D Lots of room for improvement. 1000 m total for the session

4.55mile run later on with 20 mins on turbo just cos it was there beside the treadmill. Decided against the 3 hrs+ turbo session :)

I've been reading a few logs and the round ups are very interesting. I think I'll add a summary of my year too. (woohoo I get to mention my win one last time:D)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Okay doll....just a quick Happy New Year toast for you....
    Here's to your infectious enthusiasm and your glass half full attitude. You are an asset to this place we call the dark side. Thank you for inspiring me and making me smile. :) Happy New Year!!!

Awe thanks a million Dory:) You are by far the most inspiring and motivating person on here! Happy New Year to you too.

• Advertisement

Finally a review of 2012

My first year in triathlon. I have to say I loved it! Not every minute of it but overall it was a great year for me.

Highs:
    My first triathlon- North Tipp Sprint
    My first race win - Baby Mac Adventure Race :D
    My first proper adventure race - Connemara Adventure Challenge - beating my hubby in the process:D:D
    My first half marathon - sub 2 hrs in Charleville
    Getting over my huge fear of open water swimming
    Cycling to Lahinch and back with the tri club
    Doing the bike leg for a relay team in Hell of the West
    Doing the Ring of Kerry cycle with the hubby
    Discovering I love bike time trials
    And best of all achieving my goal of getting a sub 60, 10k in 2012- current PB 51:24 :D:D

Of course there were lows- dropping out of a club triathlon for my first ever DNF in a race and then dropping out of Brian Boru tri for my first DNF in an official race, falling out with some people in the club, falling off my bike a lot :) and I had a lot of personal drama for a second year in a row :(.

BUT I'm very happy to say the highs completely wipe out the lows and I'm ready for 2013 and a much happier year all round. Not sure I will achieve as much as last year but cant wait to find out...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wow. That's one heck of a list of accomplishments. Well done you!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Finally a review of 2012

My first year in triathlon. I have to say I loved it! Not every minute of it but overall it was a great year for me.

Highs:
    My first triathlon- North Tipp Sprint
    My first race win - Baby Mac Adventure Race :D
    My first proper adventure race - Connemara Adventure Challenge - beating my hubby in the process:D:D
    My first half marathon - sub 2 hrs in Charleville
    Getting over my huge fear of open water swimming
    Cycling to Lahinch and back with the tri club
    Doing the bike leg for a relay team in Hell of the West
    Doing the Ring of Kerry cycle with the hubby
    Discovering I love bike time trials
    And best of all achieving my goal of getting a sub 60, 10k in 2012- current PB 51:24 :D:D

Well done SB8, I would love to have some of those achievements this time next year. I love the way beating the hubby in the adventure race made it on the list :)

Advertisement