Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There is nothing more crushing...

• 12-07-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Astala

than trying on a pair of jeans in your size and finding that they don't fit(in both senses of the word;)) ! I went into River Island and got black high-waisted jeans. Now, I'm a size 8 and so I got the Regular size 8. I tried them on at home and they were so tight. However, then I noticed that it said EUR 34 which is a size 6, is it not? But it says UK 8 on the same tag. I thought that EUR 36 is a size 8.

I am all confussed!! Does anybody find that River Island jeans tend to be on the tighter side of things?:)

Please tell me you do, even if you have to tell a fib!:):):)

I want to have a hot chocolate and not feel like crap after it!!:):):):):(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

As far as I know euro size 34 is 6 (except in Germany I think and italians are euro+4).

I think River Island sizing is pretty average I think but it also depends on the model of jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

:/

But sizes can vary all the time. Two styles of jeans in RI in the same size could fit totally differently. Who cares what size you are anyway once it fits!

I can be anywhere between a 6 and 10. I never rely on a size printed on a tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

34 is a size 8.

Astala, I wouldn't take it so seriously though, jeans vary in fit a lot even in the same shop. You should really try them on before you buy them.

Naomi00 wrote: »
    34 is a size 8.

Astala, I wouldn't take it so seriously though, jeans vary in fit a lot even in the same shop. You should really try them on before you buy them.
    34 is size 8 in Germany and Skandinavia. What is known as "European" size is used in France, Spain... and it is 36. If the clothes have listed eu size is usually 36, 34 would be listed under "D". Italian would be German +6 and "European"+4.

The list is here:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_sizes#section_4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Jeans sizes vary wildly, even from different jean styles in the same shop! Don't get hung up on size labels OP. Try taking your measurements at home and go by that. Some stores have measurements on their clothes along with the size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerrz

Don't take it personally ! Size 34 is an 8 but those high waisted jeans in RI are a tiny fit. I would take a 6/8 in their jeans depending on the amount of stretch in them but noticed there is just no give in the high waisted ones.

Enjoy the hot chocolate :)

I'm not letting this go. Size 8 is not and never was European size 34. It's sometimes marked as F or Spanish but it is still size 36. When Germans become main fashion power then I will concede that their sizing should count as norm for European sizes but untill then it is adapted to system used in France, Spain or Portugal.

analucija wrote: »
    34 is size 8 in Germany and Skandinavia. What is known as "European" size is used in France, Spain... and it is 36. If the clothes have listed eu size is usually 36, 34 would be listed under "D". Italian would be German +6 and "European"+4.

The list is here:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_sizes#section_4

The European sizes on clothes in Ireland are often the German ones. According to River Island's chart their 34 is an 8. I know this is quite confusing as there's so many different ones.

analucija wrote: »
    I'm not letting this go. Size 8 is not and never was European size 34. It's sometimes marked as F or Spanish but it is still size 36. When Germans become main fashion power then I will concede that their sizing should count as norm for European sizes but untill then it is adapted to system used in France, Spain or Portugal.

http://www.riverisland.com/Online/women/jeans/skinny-jeans/dark-wash-amelie-super-skinny-jeans-616654

It depends on the shop, I wear size a 8 and my clothes from H&M etc are a 34. River Island use these sizes too. I don't know why it's such a big deal though, especially with jeans the sizes vary a lot and the whole 'vanity sizing' thing makes it worse to know what the actual size is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

there's nothing more crushing then hearing someone who's a size 8 worry about whether or not they should have a hot chocolate :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

one thing about river island is you always have to size up..so dont be dissapointed thinking youve gained a few..

Naomi00 wrote: »
    http://www.riverisland.com/Online/women/jeans/skinny-jeans/dark-wash-amelie-super-skinny-jeans-616654

It depends on the shop, I wear size a 8 and my clothes from H&M etc are a 34. River Island use these sizes too. I don't know why it's such a big deal though, especially with jeans the sizes vary a lot and the whole 'vanity sizing' thing makes it worse to know what the actual size is.

I dislike it when brands start making up their own range just because of vanity sizing. I still remember when even German brands like Betty Barclay would use European sizes. I havent bought anything there for a while so i don't know. Cheaper brands especially seem to be more inclined to use more flattering sizing and then you go into some designer shop and discover that you can hardly pull size 40 trousers over your arse even though you are generally size 10. :D

Edit: I checked, whatever German more expensive clothes I have, they are sized the same as French and most of the cheaper stuff like St. Oliver and H&M (I know they are not German) would be a size smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Astala

there's nothing more crushing then hearing someone who's a size 8 worry about whether or not they should have a hot chocolate :(

Oh no! Please don't think that! You have no idea what other junk I eat in the day so I feel guilty come evening time when all I want to do is attack the Options Hot choc!! I have cupcakes and scones-basically I have a sweet tooth:p
    one thing about river island is you always have to size up..so dont be dissapointed thinking youve gained a few..

Well thank you Christmas 2012:) I hope you'll be kind to me weight-wise this Christmas:pac:

Thank you so much, ladies!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

Dont worry too much, i reckon if you were to go back and try on a size 8 in a diff style jeans it would fit ok

I recently bout 2 dresses from Awear same size and even same style (shift dresses for work) now they were both Awear brand, one fitted me perfect and the other was too big, when I put them up against each other the one that was big was 2 inches wider on the waist and hips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I don't think I've ever bought a pair of jeans from RI (me hips! :pac:) but my tiny size 6 OH has pairs that are a 10. Like others said every brand has different variations across every style. Maddening but such is life. Also none of that fake hot chocolate! You want 3 huge tblsps of Cadburys hot chocolate for the cup and 1 for your mouth:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eva1810

Does anyone know where I can buy skinny jeans with a zip up the back? thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Sizing is crazy. I have a pair of size 8 shorts that are quite tight but I'm usually a 4 and the jeans I'm wearing at the moment are 6 and about 2 inches too loose at the waist. A few days ago I bought 3 dresses in the same size and the same shop (all size 6). One fits perfectly, the second one is so loose that it slides off and it'll have to be taken in, and the third one is so tight around my chest that I can just about close the zip. Sizes are just so random, don't worry about the jeans being tight. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Just buy what fits you, not what size you think you should be.

I tried on size 10 jeans in Topshop that were too long, so I tried the 10 in a shorter leg. Lo and behold, the ten in the shorter leg were too small in the waist. And if I went to River Island, I'd need a 12 in their jeans.

Shops all vary their sizing. It's really annoying as it seems like there's no standard 10 or whatever, but it's nothing to do with your size changing (unless you know you've lost/gained weight). Just buy what fits you and don't worry about the number on the tag - nobody sees it anyway :pac:

• Who buys jeans without trying them on? Jeans vary wildly in size from shop to shop and even from style to style in the same shop. It's not that hard to take a few pairs in and see which one fits the best. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Astala

Who buys jeans without trying them on? Jeans vary wildly in size from shop to shop and even from style to style in the same shop. It's not that hard to take a few pairs in and see which one fits the best. :confused:

I do, especially when I'm rushing. Thanks for your 'advice' anyway.

Thanks ladies! I went to Topshop instead, as RI size 10 was too big so there was no in-between! It was a blessing in disguise because Topshop was much better quality. Thank you all so much:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

Who buys jeans without trying them on? Jeans vary wildly in size from shop to shop and even from style to style in the same shop. It's not that hard to take a few pairs in and see which one fits the best. :confused:

Emphatic +1!
    Madness buying jeans without trying them on. Why would you be rushing? They're not exactly a fallout shelter essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

After 13 years working in clothing, i ignore sizes and shop with my measuring tape. Esp if i have no time to try it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Eva1810 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can buy skinny jeans with a zip up the back? thanks!

They have them in Vero Moda if there's one near you

Advertisement