Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reference check - choice of referees

Options
  • 12-07-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was left go from my last job at the end of my probationary period
    Without getting into too much detail things just didn't work out. My role was misrepresented and myself and the employer had different expectations of what I was supposed to be working on.

Anyway, I asked them at the time how they would convey my leaving to both my colleagues and any future prospective employers
    With my colleagues I don't think they said much at all just that I was leaving
    In relation to prospective new employers they said they would say it was a mismatch of roles.

I've completed a phone interview today and am going for a face to face interview tomorrow with a new company. The work that I did at this last company is not massively relevant to the job I'm going for. The prospective company have asked for 2 referees.. Would it look terribly suss if the 2 I provide do not include someone from that last company ?

I've emailed my old boss asking if it's ok to use them as a referee and she has said yes but I'm not mad keen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would not use the last place you worked for as a reference. You could have a new employer asking a lot of questions about you and they might not like what they here from your ex boss. I had a friend of mine in a similar position a few years ago. They worked hard, had a few problems but nothing major. Towards the end of the contract the boss brought them into an office and told them how useless they were & if they were asked for a reference they would say this. My friend heard after this several people left and the boss had some real problems then. My friend said it could not happen to a nicer person.
    I would ring he other places you worked after tomorrows interview and ask could you give there names for a reference.
    Try and speak to a person you got on well with in the other places and say something like Hello Mary this /// here. I worked with you ///. I have a job interview with ////. They are looking for /// and I was wondering could I give you name as a reference?
    I would tell your interviewer that you will ring them with the referees names as you need to would like to contact them first.
    Also your referees will know who is contacting them and why. They may mention something to your new boss which will help you get the job.
    Good luck with the in interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Thanks .sound advice there. Apart from anything else I wasn't in the last job very long so even if they weren't negative they wouldn't be able to give a comprehensive reference really.

Advertisement