Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you safely eat Crabs ?

Options
  • 12-07-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi All,

Just wondering if you had to , is it safe to eat crabs from the sea - you know the small ones that usually eat my bait when trying to catch fish!
    They are usually small and i just through them away.

could be a possible source of protein if things got bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

good question, and if you can how do you prepare them?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

As far as I know you can eat all crabs in Irish waters, just eat what looks like white meet. Put them in the freezer for 10 mins to put them asleep then boil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Yes. With crabs you want to keep them alive or freeze them before eating, if they die id leave them. Boul em up good and they will be nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Dead crabs release a toxin so better to stick to boiling live ones. On a general note BIM have signs up around the coast in certain areas where its best not to gather shellfish. Plenty of free food along our coasts when you know what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

Shell creatures usually contain parasites so you have to cook them for long enough to kill the parasites and destroy their eggs. Some species of crabs are poisonous but its rare, I doubt you'd find any of them in Ireland. I'd be more worried about mercury content in crabs here.
    Plenty of free food along our coasts when you know what your looking for.
    Can you elaborate on that a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

BogMonkey wrote: »
    Shell creatures usually contain parasites so you have to cook them for long enough to kill the parasites and destroy their eggs. Some species of crabs are poisonous but its rare, I doubt you'd find any of them in Ireland. I'd be more worried about mercury content in crabs here.

I suspect that wouldn't worry many people unless they consume large amounts of crab meat for an extended period.
    BogMonkey wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on that a bit.

Winkles, mussles, seaweed, crabs, samphire etc Seaweed is also a source of Iodine, I remember watching a TG4 documentary that mentioned the thriving Iodine industry in the West of Ireland in WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

bonniebede wrote: »
    good question, and if you can how do you prepare them?

This is about the best video I've seen on this :):
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/1eLBU3OwRGQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Winkles, mussles, seaweed, crabs
    Cockles too, you can dig them up off the strands. Another idea is to use the shellfish to catch bigger fish.

Advertisement