Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting two routers

Options
  • 12-07-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, so I'm not even really sure how to go about asking this question.

I recently purchased a D-Link router for its ability to filter IPs and websites. The problem is, that the wireless connectivity on it sucks big time. Even after buying a couple of high gain antennas, I can still only reach a 40% signal strength over most of my home.

The router I had before the D-Link is a generic Eircom one (Netopia 2247NWG). The wireless worked much better using this one but it lacks functionality in other areas.

Is it possible for me to connect the two routers so that the Netopia one acts as a wireless access point, and the D-Link as the main home router where I could block sites etc?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Yes, follow this: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233 and hook them up with an ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Thanks Zab, I've done that and it seems to be working okay apart from a few hangups. The wireless signal is still pretty weak though at 60% so I'm guessing that's to do with interference more than anything else. Still better than it was before so it's all good =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

You can try different channels and see if that gets you anywhere. If they're right beside each other then you should disable the radio on the first one.

Advertisement