Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to my build.

Options
  • 12-07-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

TL;DR at the bottom

Hi, I am currently considering an upgrade to my build. I would like to upgrade some core components. My PC's most intense usage is that of gaming.

I have a quad core CPU @2.8GHz, and so I've no wish to upgrade that (I assume this isn't bottle necking me, or anywhere near it - I can OC it if necessary, it idles around 30 degrees). I would like to upgrade my GPU. It is a PALIT GTX 460 768mb. It is a good card, and I would SLI if that were possible (just so I could it to use) but my mono does not officially support SLI :( I could potentially sell it for maybe 60 euro or something. Should I just get a new card altogether? Or a mobo that supports SLI, so that I can just buy another 460?

Also, my PC actually makes quite a bit of fan noise. Is this due to the case, some fan, or some combination of the aforementioned? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Here is my current build:

4GB-Kit GEIL Value PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 CL9

AMD Phenom II X4 925 Box, Sockel AM3

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, alle Sockel

MSI 770-G45, AM3

NZXT Gamma Tower pure black, ohne Netzteil

Palit GTX460 768MB, PCI-Express

Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W

Xilence Power Gehäuselüfter 12cm

Also, is it worth getting maybe 6GB of RAM? TBH, I'm finding my 4 is only really tasked when I'm lazily/unnecessarily multitasking (not bothering to close games while doing something else).

Any suggestions? My budget, I suppose, is around €300.

TL;DR

300 budget, want more FPS in games, quieter computer. More RAM?

Thanks!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Bump as it's already on the second page.

Bump. :)

Bump. :( Tá sé ar an dara leathanach cheana féin. It's already on the second page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Gumbi wrote: »
    Bump. :( Tá sé ar an dara leathanach cheana féin. It's already on the second page.
    Just to get you on your way but have you checed out the fan settings in the bios? you should be able to set them to only kick up the rpm at a certain temperature limit.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Just to get you on your way but have you checed out the fan settings in the bios? you should be able to set them to only kick up the rpm at a certain temperature limit.
    Well my GPU is auto-set. It idles at 40% (minimum it can go), and kicks up to 60ish% when playing a game. It's a very cool card that idles at 33ish degrees., and peaks at just under 70, which AFAIK, is good.

Might it be my CPU's fan (as you can see, it's not a stock fan in using).

But really, although I can clearly tell when my GPU kickstarts under load, the noise of my PC is noticeable immediately upon booting. It's by no means deafening, but it would certainly be nice to have a quiet computer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You may find that if the machine is a few years old it needs a good clean out and some of the fans replaced. I'd certainly look at getting a decent cooler for your CPU and pushing it a bit if you're not going to upgrade.

Shove in a good AMD graphics card and check the reviews and unboxings for the quietest ones. Look at the 7850 imo for what you're doing.

If its still to noisy you're either very sensitive or you have a chassis fan problem you'll need to investigate.

Of course you could just spend your €300 on some Bose noise canceling headphones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

First off I'd say, that you need to decide priorities. Generally you choose performance or quietness, unless you go high budget and both. That isnt to say you cant go middle of the road, but just you need to make up your own mind if you want to shave a few dB or get another 10FPS in BF3.

BTW, what res is your monitor?

Regarding noise, lets try track down the source:
    First load up prime95 and run it, In PlaceFFTs, 4 Workers(4Cores), ten mins, try and get a good idea what that sounds like in your head(unless you have a dB meter handy).
    Second run a Furmark burn in for 10 mins, see how loud that gets.
    Switch between the two if you need to, then report back to us on which you think is worse.

Oh, and just in case you havent realised, the fans go 100% on boot for like 2 seconds, so thats meant to be noisy as f@ck.

Next, the more efficiently you move air through the case, the slower the fans can run, thus less noise. Monotype linked a great guide recently, have a search for that. If you can take a photo(good light pls) of the case, side off, and use paint to mark in the fans, size and direction(its marked on the rim) that might allow the pros here to point you.

RE Performance:

What are you playing. You've a better spec than my machine(by a good bit), and I get away with a fair amount of the current games market. That said, I havent tried BF3 or Crysis2 on her :(

How well maintained is your system, XP or Win7? How old is the install? How much ram do you use idle from boot? If you disable filtering you should be able to do well on most things I'd wager. Its x16 AA that'll kill your rates big time.

You may find that if the machine is a few years old it needs a good clean out and some of the fans replaced. I'd certainly look at getting a decent cooler for your CPU and pushing it a bit if you're not going to upgrade.

Shove in a good AMD graphics card and check the reviews and unboxings for the quietest ones. Look at the 7850 imo for what you're doing.

If its still to noisy you're either very sensitive or you have a chassis fan problem you'll need to investigate.

Of course you could just spend your €300 on some Bose noise canceling headphones :D
    I don't think I'm being sensitive. So the case is likely not the problem? Would you recommend getting a new card altogether?

Is it worth OCing my CPU? Will it give me some extra FPS? Or will a good GPU still be the bottleneck?

The chassis fan I'm using is one I bought seperate from the case for something like €2.50.

Thanks, I know it's awkward sorting out a subjective problem like sound ^^.

It could be any moving part best thing is to open the case and stick you ears to it ;)

I don't know much about AMD CPUs - I used to always use them but Intel has really over taken them. If its a quad core it should be okay in the short term. If you're not going to upgrade it then OCing it is the only option really.

Windows 7, on an M4 Crucial SSD 128GB. about 1 - 1.2 GB on boot (fairly clean I think). I Have a 22inch Samsung 1920 x 1080 (I play all games at this resolution).

I'm not getting bad FPS in games, I generally max them, leaving out AA ofc. But I'd like to have a smoother Crysis experience (both one and two), and I expect Rome: Total War 2 will be resource intensive. I'd like to have 60 FPS nearly all the time in Skyrim too ;) it's pretty ok, I mac it and probably average 45ish, but the texture pack dug more into that.

I'll see what I can do about running benchmarks, I don't have access to my PC right now :(

The install of Windows is coming up to a year old now, so relatively fresh.

I've heard my friend's computer (i7 and GTX 260 - worse card but way better CPU) and it's much quieter).

Is it more likely to be my GPU than my CPU fan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Firstly I would not go with sli with an amd cpu. 2 things I would do, pick up a gtx 570 or HD6970 and get a decent air cooler and overclock the crap out of your cpu.

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    Firstly I would not go with sli with an amd cpu. 2 things I would do, pick up a gtx 570 or HD6970 and get a decent air cooler and overclock the crap out of your cpu.
    A better cooler than the one already have? Would that cost much?

Just so I can be clear, why would you recommend heavily OCing my CPU? Surely it's not even close to bottle necking me?

Thoughts on RAM btw?

Just so I can be clear, why would you recommend heavily OCing my CPU? Surely it's not even close to bottle necking me?

Thoughts on RAM btw?

Actually I would not bother buying a new cooler, just oc that cpu as best you can, you should get maybe 3.6ghz or something and spend your €300 all on the gpu.
    AMD cpu and gaming generall not the best, so I would push the mhz as far as possible. AMD cpu for sli is a big no no, terrible in multi gpu.
    I would spend all my cash on a new gpu, you don't really need more ram.
    If you shop around you might get a nice HD7950 for about the €300. That would be pretty sweet if gaming is your main thing.

Thoughts on RAM btw?

Actually I would not bother buying a new cooler, just oc that cpu as best you can, you should get maybe 3.6ghz or something and spend your €300 all on the gpu.
    AMD cpu and gaming generall not the best, so I would push the mhz as far as possible. AMD cpu for sli is a big no no, terrible in multi gpu.
    I would spend all my cash on a new gpu, you don't really need more ram.
    If you shop around you might get a nice HD7950 for about the €300. That would be pretty sweet if gaming is your main thing.
    Those were y general initial opinions. I would like to have the fan/noise issue sorted though.

I will get some cable ties, I think. There are so many thick, unused power cables coming from the PSU :/.

Do you really think a game will take advantage of the 3 and a half GHz if I OC it? I'll definitely do it if so.

Yes it will it may also help to get your RAM up to its top speed as well.

Yes it will it may also help to get your RAM up to its top speed as well.
    What do you mean? Upgrade it? Or OC it?

The biggest performance difference for gaming, which is your main use, is the GPU.
    The cpu is not great so the overclock will help the new gpu push out those extra fps.
    Your ram is not very fast but I doubt you will notice any difference by upgrading it.

This round you can get away with an oc on the cpu and new gpu.

Upgrade after this one I would buy a total new machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

7870 is better than both of those.

Thanks. I didn't realise the CPU was that limiting. :/ I guess I'll have to really OC it :)

7870 is better than both of those.

Read later posts, thanks

• Advertisement

Random browsing brought this up. Seems like an excellent offer. So tempting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/cr/B004FA8NOQ/ref=aw_d_cr_computers?qid=1342196936&sr=8-6

Will my mobo affect what CPU I can use?

Edit: It was 65 pounds a min ago. Must have been a mistake, now it's back up to 200 ^^

Advertisement