Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tree growth this summer

• 12-07-2012 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Has anyone noticed the poor growth of trees this year? To be expected I suppose given how cool it has been most of the year. I notice that Larch has been badly hit, at least for me, with an unusually high number of leaders killed by the cold spring winds, and poor growth this year with as yellowing of the needles on last year's growth. Any other observations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

Silvics wrote: »
    , and poor growth this year with as yellowing of the needles on last year's growth.

could this be aphid damage? fierce amount of aphid damage around this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Beech, birch, ash, alder and more seem to be doing okdown this end. My plena cherry was damaged again by aphids, but funnily enough my roses that are usually savaged were not got at at all. Elm, scots pine, butan pine, redwood, willows, poplar, holly all seem well too.

flowering seems to be going well here too with ash and sycamore giving a good showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

Might be aphids-some spruce getting hammered.
    No sycamore or ash seed this year-could be elevation coupled with incessant cool breezes for most of this year.

Oldtree wrote: »
    Beech, birch, ash, alder and more seem to be doing okdown this end. My plena cherry was damaged again by aphids, but funnily enough my roses that are usually savaged were not got at at all. Elm, scots pine, butan pine, redwood, willows, poplar, holly all seem well too.

flowering seems to be going well here too with ash and sycamore giving a good showing.

Yip in Mayo here as well, Its one of the best years of growth i have seen in a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

Last couple of weeks the larch seems to have made a bit of recovery with good big luxuriant growth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement