Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anyone playing Gunman Clive on the 3DS? It's only 2 euro, definitely pick it up. Looks really lovely and plays like an 8 bit Sunset Riders.

Actually, hints of Megaman to this one too.

Just powered up & updated yee olde 3DS there to have a look. Well worth a punt at €1.99 man cheers.

Just seen I have Minish Cap & a load of other games still unwrapped on the main screen. Score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Just powered up & updated yee olde 3DS there to have a look. Well worth a punt at €1.99 man cheers.

Just seen I have Minish Cap & a load of other games still unwrapped on the main screen. Score!

It's such a cool little game! I'm well impressed with the art style of it. €1.99 is crazy cheep when compared with the usual price of 3DS online store games.

Just powered up one of the girlfriends Christmas gifts, a 64Gb Blackberry Playbook. There's red stuck pixel to the right/middle of the screen. I'm really REALLY pissed off. It stands out like you wouldnt believe on a black screen. But once the unit powers up properly, you can't see it.

Not sure what to do. Think I'll wait until Christmas and see what the missus thinks. Still, really annoying to start it with 'here's your Christmas present! like it? Well there's a problem with the screen. You'll see it as soon as you press the on button :mad:'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Oh... contest where if you win you get to meet SWERY:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I have a famicom so yis are all homos!!! Also I'm in work at 7.45 this will be fun.

Apart from just buying a Pokemon 3ds XL for the craic while drunk I also earlier just spent €17 on body spray in holliser and €30 on a top. I'm ****ing minted!!!!

I also applied for a credit card the other day. Oh dear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Went to see The Hobbit last night on the mini Imax on Parnell St, not good...
    The first hour was migraine inducing but, akin to the good folk of The Emperor's New Clothes, no one complained for an hour fearing that there was nothing wrong with the screen but rather we just didn't get 3d at 48fps.
    Turns out something was amiss and an hour in they paused the movie, apologised and restarted the previous minute and a half, everything now snapping into the correct perspective.
    Even so, didn't enjoy 48fps at all, did make it all feel like a tv show and, coupled with some lousy sfx, a syfy tv show at that.
    Might see it again in the new year at a more sedate 24fps, in 2d!
    But Gollum was incredible, I can see them going all Lucas on the Lord of the Rings films and bring their representation of Gollum up to the same standard.
    The insistence on messing with the original story was done with uneven results, it was good to get some background to the rise of dark forces but messing with the encounter with trolls was unspeakable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Listening to Sunday Miscellany on Rte radio 1 at the moment

And people thought Vogon poetry was bad:mad:

WARNING RE: "EBAY"

If you buy stuff on line, check out the seller carefully.
    Be careful what you purchase on eBay.

A friend spent $50 on a penis enlarger.
    Bastards sent him a magnifying glass.

Instructions said, "Do not use in direct sunlight."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The first hour was migraine inducing but, akin to the good folk of The Emperor's New Clothes, no one complained for an hour fearing that there was nothing wrong with the screen but rather we just didn't get 3d at 48fps.
    Turns out something was amiss and an hour in they paused the movie, apologised and restarted the previous minute and a half, everything now snapping into the correct perspective.
    Even so, didn't enjoy 48fps at all, did make it all feel like a tv show and, coupled with some lousy sfx, a syfy tv show at that.
    But Gollum was incredible, I can see them going all Lucas on the Lord of the Rings films and bring their representation of Gollum up to the same standard.
    The insistence on messing with the original story was done with uneven results, it was good to get some background to the rise of dark forces but messing with the encounter with trolls was unspeakable.
    I'd rather they just update Gollum's model in Fellowship. And I guess change the bit where Bilbo finds the ring for consistency, but just for the Extended Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well I watched Prometheus last night. Paper thin story line, some dodgy acting but all in all I really enjoyed it.
    Had a few beers and adult cigarettes so that probably helped.

• Advertisement

In start contrast, myself & the little fella watched Big Trouble in Little China last night...now thats how action/adventure movies should be made. Classic stuff :cool:

Proper family Christmas movie Big Trouble in Little China along with Die Hard.

pdbhp wrote: »
    Proper family Christmas movie Big Trouble in Little China along with Die Hard.

Definitely, so many ritual Xmas films to get through...so little time. Uncle Buck is up next then Planes, Trains & Automobiles...vintage John Candy :cool:

I love Uncle Buck, I must watch it with with the little fella sometime over the holidays.
    Gonna watch twins later with the good ould Govenator himself. That'll festive me up a bit.

Also a must watch is the brilliant Bad Santa..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Someone I fundamentally agree with concerning a blockbuster on the arcade & retro forum?

What is this festive sorcery!?

I've yet to see 48fps in the flesh, does it change the look of a film that much yeah? I thought is would be analogous to when 100Hz tv's came out, & everything just looked 'smoother' no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Decided to get some retro gaming in over xmas, and unbeknownst to me until now, ps3 joypads work with macs! no drivers or nothing just plug n play with the usb cable or over bluetooth. Couldnt find my old usb pc gamepad so did some googling, yay for snes and megadrive goodness.

krudler wrote: »
    Decided to get some retro gaming in over xmas, and unbeknownst to me until now, ps3 joypads work with macs! no drivers or nothing just plug n play with the usb cable or over bluetooth. Couldnt find my old usb pc gamepad so did some googling, yay for snes and megadrive goodness.

welcometothepartypal.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yup, works indeed. You might need to download a key mapper though for a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yup, works indeed. You might need to download a key mapper though for a lot of stuff.

zsnes seems to have a meltdown when I try mapping the keys but snes9x works gangbusters. have an n64 emulator as well, feels like sacrilege playing Mario 64 with a ps3 pad :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

krudler wrote: »
    zsnes seems to have a meltdown when I try mapping the keys but snes9x works gangbusters. have an n64 emulator as well, feels like sacrilege playing Mario 64 with a ps3 pad :pac:

I was playing it with a 360 pad a while ago. It was like rewiring my brain O_o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Still, all seemingly better alternatives than what Nintendo offered in Mario 64 DS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playing anything on a N64 emulator seems like sacrilege to me. Vaseline blur and crazy texture blurring for the win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

The girlfriendo got me Pokemon Emerald and Ruby on GBA for xmas, but it appears that the battery is flat in both cartd. Is there a way of replacing th batts, or has she been ripped off?

• Advertisement

deathrider wrote: »
    The girlfriendo got me Pokemon Emerald and Ruby on GBA for xmas, but it appears that the battery is flat in both cartd. Is there a way of replacing th batts, or has she been ripped off?

You can indeed replace the battery. You can do it with or without soldering. I done it to my pokemon gold so I'd imagine its much the same process for a GBA cart.

Can it be saved at all? As Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald utilize flash memory to save, and the battery's only used for the clock and time-based events, it should still save even if the battery's dead. If it's legit, that is.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Can it be saved at all? As Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald utilize flash memory to save, and the battery's only used for the clock and time-based events, it should still save even if the battery's dead. If it's legit, that is.

Emerald takes a while, attempting to save, then gives me message sayin failed. It then spends about a minute trying yo figure out what went wrong (and showing a picture of a clock), before telling that tge battery's dead, and how that could be the problem. Ruby's just freezing up during the save screen.

I'd wager that they're bootlegs. Sorry man, that sucks all sorts of ****e. Bollocks to whomever sold pirates as legit, but especially around this time of year, when it's inclined to sting that bit more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah look, they might be fine yet, wait til the batteries are changed, then we'll decide if you were had or not.

• Advertisement

Ah look, they might be fine yet, wait til the batteries are changed, then we'll decide if you were had or not.

See here:
    Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Can it be saved at all? As Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald utilize flash memory to save

If its flash memory to save, good luck replacing that as its likely built into an IC or something. I remember while doing o1s1n's cart batteries & came across Sonic 3 - queue no battery on the pcb and some confuddlement from me. Turns out Sonic 3 saves its data in an FRAM chip & once its lost its ability to store data...you have to replace the whole chip

This doesn't sound too promising. Feckin' disaster if they sre bootlegs. If so though, they are very convining in appearance. Dhe scored Sapphire and Leafgreen for herself too, presumably from the same dude. Sapphire seems to be working fine for her though.

Gba carts are so often boots,even the common stuff, on eBay.
    I got caught once, bought 3 games from one Japanese seller, he was delisted from the site before I had a chance to give feedback, and of the games one was banjaxed.

Gba carts are so often boots,even the common stuff, on eBay.
    I got caught once, bought 3 games from one Japanese seller, he was delisted from the site before I had a chance to give feedback, and of the games one was banjaxed.

Is there any telltale signs that give away the fact that a bootleg is indeed a bootleg?

Is there any telltale signs that give away the fact that a bootleg is indeed a bootleg?

Just flip the cart and look up the end, if you see 'Nintendo' printed on the board through the crack, it's most likely legit. Also, check the item number on the back of the cart, if it reads something like 'Model No. AGB-002', it's likelier that it's legit, unless the 'leggers were extremely thorough.

Cheers, man, I'll check that when I get the chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I only ever buy GBA games and DS games off sellers I trust. There's far too many bootlegs out there and even still I always check if they are real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

One of the top posts on Reddit right now:
    I'm so ****ing angry right now. I've been telling my parents since the beginning of the year, all I want for Christmas is the Wii U. I don't want a stupid comic book or action figure, those are all outdated, meaningless toys. I go to check under the tree to see if there's any large package for me. Nope, nothing. I thought, "hey, they probably hid it in the closet!" Checked there, nothing. Today, enough was enough. I flat out asked them, "Mom. Dad. Did you get a Wii U for me for christmas? Because I don't see it and I don't want to get up on Christmas morning, pretended to be excited for Santa to bring me a gift and have my dreams crushed, only for two ***** to tell me that Santa is too busy giving toys to needy ****ers in Iraq."
    Its ****ing crap, you know. My room is spotless, I clean it every weekend and pick up all the toys when I'm done playing. My grades are perfect. All I ask for in return to my hardships is one stinkin' gift and instead, I get end up getting hurt and crying.
    The same thing happened last year. I wanted a 3DS and instead they told me "son, you're 35 years old. Please, get a job."
    Man, parents.

I find the sign of a boot Gba cart is an ill fitted shell. Also I saw a quality control sticker from whatever Chinese factory churned them out, which is an oxymoron in itself, quality control in a Chinese factory indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone else working today? Or am I the only sad chump who got roped into it?

There's nothing which makes you say 'why me' more than being the only person on the bus to work in the morning :D

• Advertisement

Are you the bus driver? If not, at least there's someone who can empathize. Mind you, I could count the number of empathetic driver I've met on one hand, whilst making a closed fist, but hey, considering the time of year that's in it, he might be pissed, and be a bit chattier than usual. It's something, I suppose.

There's nothing which makes you say 'why me' more than being the only person on the bus to work in the morning :D

I took the opportunity to take a weeks leave over the Christmas, but everyone else is at the coal face, working away.
    I was going to take 2 weeks but decided the week at New Years would be a waste, so back to work I'll go.
    The place I'm working in is fully staffed over the complete holidays so there's plenty of folks who are going to be working very hard and under a lot of pressure.
    I was that soldier for some 15 years, so don't feel too lousy leaving them behind.

I was just thinking. While, it's not that revelatory that in the original Red and Blue, the game's coding had the player's default name set to Ninten, and the rival's to Sony. If it'd stayed in for the actual game, that'd mean the protagonist from the original Mother and Pokemon could be the same guy. Which'd be another way, amongst many, in which the two franchises overlap.

I'm going to save some meme-monkey the effort here.

Themoreyouknow.jpg

Nope! I've been in work since 9.30 this morning. Thankfully managed to get Stephens day off. ****ing sales......

I just want to go home and start lashing into the presses full of booze :(

Think we're fairly well stocked this year. 2 litres of vodka, litre and a half of Morgan's, 8 cans, 60 bottles of beer, a bottle of martini, 5 bottles of wine and a bottle of sake for good measure.

Im looking forward to the good old 'Atheist Hour'; when everyone else in the house goes to mass and I spend the time playing Christmas NiGHts into Dreams instead. That's the real meaning of Christmas :p

If the Christian god was a benevolent god he wouldn't have had me dragged to mass halfway through Star Wars every Christmas day without fail.

If it was half way through the Phantom Menace you'd have proof of a merciful god right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

One more day until what people in the year 3000 call Xmas.

• Advertisement

If it was half way through the Phantom Menace you'd have proof of a merciful god right there!

It was mostly Empire Strikes Back. The one that I managed to watch to the end eventually was Return of the Jedi. I actually never seen the first two films all the way through until I was 14 because of this. He also never answered my prayers for a super nintendo which made me the miserable, bitter person I am today :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement