Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Comments

Where do the likes to The Rage get their stock?

It's got to be one off sales off of adverts, eBay and the like. Nobody is selling that stuff wholesale anymore surely?

That would certainly explain the price premium on most of their stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You'd probably be able to get a used 360 controller on Adverts or the like, might need a charge pack but would do the trick.
    I'd love to pick up one of the special edition controllers with the adjustable dpad.
    There's no functional difference between those and "regular" d-pads - they both shîte.
    ZombieU seems to have a real Red Steel bang off of it, great just because there's nothing else worth playing.
    No console exclusives, non Ninty IPs, worth getting at all :(
    Bayonetta 2 out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

krudler wrote: »

zsnes seems to have a meltdown when I try mapping the keys but snes9x works gangbusters. have an n64 emulator as well, feels like sacrilege playing Mario 64 with a ps3 pad :pac:

Hi I'm new to macs & emus, but I've a Mac mini with zsnes & I'm having trouble with controllers. I have xbox360 but with wireless pads.
    If I bought the USB charger & plugged them into mac, would that work?
    Or is there any wireless pads that mac iOS lion will pick up?

(I bought a gioteck vx1 today, iOS kept asking for passcode, Gioteck said it might be 0000, it wasn't)

Any advice appreciated.
    Jim

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hi I'm new to macs & emus, but I've a Mac mini with zsnes & I'm having trouble with controllers. I have xbox360 but with wireless pads.
    If I bought the USB charger & plugged them into mac, would that work?
    Or is there any wireless pads that mac iOS lion will pick up?

(I bought a gioteck vx1 today, iOS kept asking for passcode, Gioteck said it might be 0000, it wasn't)

Any advice appreciated.
    Jim

Im fairly sure you need a wired 360 controller for Mac - the play and charge kit is only a charger as opposed to a wired extension alas. Even if you are wired, it can take ages of messing around with different versions of drivers. If you do go that route, try this as it got my 360 fightstick working: http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

PS3 controller is your best bet from my experience, although some games like it better than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

MackDaddi wrote: »

It's got to be one off sales off of adverts, eBay and the like. Nobody is selling that stuff wholesale anymore surely?

That would certainly explain the price premium on most of their stuff.

That's what I was thinking but given their volume and seemingly regular supply I wouldnt have thought flea bay et al would provide enough stock at profitable prices to make it worth their while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd say they are buying job lots rather than regular auctions. That way they maximise the savings at the stock end and then hit us poor schmucks at the retail end.
    Otherwise you'd need someone trawling the British private small ads papers online for similar collections, then have them delivered directly to the shop.
    They do appear to get batches of single format items in one go suggesting job lots.
    It's worth pointing out that they have less stock than you think, I reckon I have far more in my collection as do a lot of the members here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Yeah, that sounds more likely cidey.

I have them liked on facebook so was just using their updates as a reference for the stock they get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I would imagine they're searching for job lots in the UK. It's a hell of a lot easier to get this kind of stuff over there than here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm sure there's newspaper headline in there, "Fenian plot to strip Great Britain of her precious retro gaming treasure, Prime Minister to make a statement, military action against RAGE considered"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out that they have less stock than you think, I reckon I have far more in my collection as do a lot of the members here.

Folks here are collectors not sellers though, and have been at it a lot longer. :)

On a separate note, just spotted this comparison video between that NeoGeo-X yoke and the original AES. O1s1n hopefully you didn't pull the trigger on it, it looks and sounds very poor.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Nope I didn't. And really glad I didn't at that. The more I hear about it the more awful it sounds.

Sad to see SNK allow their name be attached to such a shoddy product :(

Master of the Universe

This place is awful quiet lately, what gives?

Everyone still trying to download that WiiU update? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Where do the likes to The Rage get their stock?

Dropped in a few days before Xmas, wherever they get it they certainly know how to charge for it, bare in mind I only really bother with SNES/NES these days, I have heard their non console games are very reasonable

Any of the seasoned pirates on here know if the Sega Saturn needs to be modded to play CDRs? Specifically the white Jap model, incase that makes any difference. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Yes you need to chip it to read CDRs. Model 2 Saturn is a handy enough job - almost plug'n'play :) Model 1 is a bit tougher as the chip itself needs to be modified to fit.

o1s1n wrote: »

Is the WiiU usable at all with out the update or is it just online stuff is narfed.

For all the PSPs faults, at least the updates were on UMD as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »

I'm too hungover and or drunk to post over the Christmas period.

Had a go of my little cousins ps vita that Santa brought. Was really surprised at how light it is and feels very comfortable to hold. He got the call of duty version which comes with a dlc code to download blops. It took them 2 days to download it. I don't know whether that was down to a bad wifi connection or the servers being overloaded in Christmas or something on Sonys part but that's fairly shocking!

Yes you need to chip it to read CDRs. Model 2 Saturn is a handy enough job - almost plug'n'play :) Model 1 is a bit tougher as the chip itself needs to be modified to fit.

Cheers. I was just looking to test out Battle Garegga without forking out the high price. Will leave it so.

o1s1n: You ever get that Virtua stick of yours working?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Spent the day doing pixel art for my first game project. It's pretty tough work but I learnt new things, most of all the importance of making sure all the tiles fit nicely together!

Here's a tilesheet I made, it's a sheet of 32x32 tiles I'm using to build the ground in the level, tell me if it's **** or not!

234156.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Cheers. I was just looking to test out Battle Garegga without forking out the high price. Will leave it so.

o1s1n: You ever get that Virtua stick of yours working?

consolegoods has saturn model v1 and v2 chips in stock. both are plug and play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It has aged horribly etc etc

Seriously though, is that designed from scratch like? Looks nice so far, seems like a good template for a platformer

consolegoods has saturn model v1 and v2 chips in stock. both are plug and play.

Typical Paypal/US/Draconian nonsense:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Removal of the "Sega Saturn Modchip Board V2 (mod chip)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Although we are holding stock of these, we have been asked by Paypal to remove them from our calaloge and not accept Paypal payments for this item in future. This is due to Paypal's policy on mod chips

Btw, has the design of the mod chip changed, meaning you don't need to solder to 5v & the cdrom logic board anymore?
    [/FONT][/FONT]

On some boards you might get away with out soldering to the cdrom controller. I think the 64 pin cdrom boards are still need to be soldered to for best effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it's all my own work. Haven't done anything artistic since secondary school so hoping it wouldn't look crap. It will be for a platformer, it's only meant to be a one level demo for college but I want to add a boss in there :) I'll be adding more to the game soon but I have my building base for the stage so I'll animate my sprite and then I can work on getting her control nicely.

Is the WiiU usable at all with out the update or is it just online stuff is narfed.

The games are usable but the online functionality is built in from the opening screen and with the connection as ropey as it is.....
    I got my machine updated, and got myself a Nintendo ID thingy as well as linked it to my Club Ninty account, but when I run Netflix from the frontend I get an update that took an age to get downloaded and then it quits with an error!

I should have a Lan adapter soon and, while not as speedy as the wifi which isn't speedy at all, at least it'll be consistent.

Looking at the WiiU shop is pitiful as well, lots of 5 stars for games that are getting 70 on Metacritic, so I won't be digging deep just yet.

• Advertisement

On some boards you might get away with out soldering to the cdrom controller. I think the 64 pin cdrom boards are still need to be soldered to for best effect.

I've never heard of a plug & play Saturn modchip...they all need to be connected to 5v & the logic board as far as I knew so there must be something new with these ones
    I should have a Lan adapter soon and, while not as speedy as the wifi which isn't speedy at all, at least it'll be consistent.

Your lan connection won't be as fast as your wifi...are you sure about that??

Soldering the 5v is optional (and best practice) but shoving the wire into the PSU connector with a match is adequate enough for some :)

Yeah, all the forums are saying that, in tests, the Lan is showing up to be slower than the Wifi connection, that the system is not yet optimised for a physical connection at all.
    That said, at least the usb-Lan option is consistent and has seemed more reliable than the wifi one, which is very poor.
    To give you an example of the latter, my Wii and 3DS have no problem linking with the home wireless network and downloading whatever, on the otherhand, the WiiU has been nothing but heartbreak, initially refusing to connect to the internet via the network until a further antenna was added and then refusing to update, later updated, it's refusing to update various apps and, when I try to watch one of the promo videos on the WiiU store, it is nothing but Buffer City!

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Any of the seasoned pirates on here know if the Sega Saturn needs to be modded to play CDRs? Specifically the white Jap model, incase that makes any difference.

Its fine for two to three button shmups...which is most. But Radiant Silvergun is missing certain weapons because one button wont work properly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Does anyone here play Command & Conquer?

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Typical Paypal/US/Draconian nonsense:

Btw, has the design of the mod chip changed, meaning you don't need to solder to 5v & the cdrom logic board anymore?
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

I'm pretty sure he will accept payment for them if you send him an email, just in a cheeky way ;)

Anyone played BLOPS 2? I know CoD gets a lot of slagging but it's a fun mindless way to spend a few hours at christmas. I usually don't mind them but BLOPS 2 has seriously disappointed me. The story is nonsense of the highest order with character I don't care about and blend into one, a foul mouthed commander that almost gives the new DMC demo a run for it's money in terms of embarrassing dialogue and some really silly design decisions. There's one mission when you play a machete wielding maniac that is absolute face palming nonsense of the highest order.

They tried to shake things up with new Strike missions that give you a RTS view of the game and you can jump into any unit at any time. These would be fine except for one thing, the AI of your team mates is terrible. Instead of ordering units around you have to jump between them since you can't trust them to do anything other than die horribly. The best thing that can be said of them is that they are optional.

Then there's the return of the zombie mode which is usually good fun to play with my brother except they have managed to ruin that to. They tried to improve zombie mode by making it needlessly complicated. You now have objectives to complete in some missions and it just makes the whole thing a confusing mess. However that's not the worst part. For some reason they decided to put fire absolutely everywhere in these missions. It's an absolute joke, you can't walk anywhere without accidentally stepping through fire or worse falling into a fire pit and dying. It's more annoying than deadly but it's such a bad design decision that it's baffling it made it through QA.

As for other games I'm playing I've started Farcry 2 again. What an under rated game. It's so much fun and I love how much destruction and chaos explosives cause in the game. Atmosphere is top notch and it hasn't been too repetitive yet. Also started Spec Ops the Line which so far has been quite good. I'm a bit burnt out on RPGs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

Anyone know what's the general opinion on code of princess? Seems like it's coming over.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/28/code-of-princess-rated-for-germany/
    It's probably download only since the developer is listed as the publisher.
    It looks interesting but I've read mixed opinions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've heard awful things about it from a few places, middling reports from others. And can't say the prevalent artwork of excessively proportioned females is an encouraging marketing decision...

Probably one of those games that will break even just because its a JRPG from Atlus, though, regardless of merits / demerits.

Heard good things from people I'd trust. My friend is sending it to me and he says it's pretty much the spiritual successor to Guardian Heroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've heard awful things about it from a few places, middling reports from others. And can't say the prevalent artwork of excessively proportioned females is an encouraging marketing decision...

Probably one of those games that will break even just because its a JRPG from Atlus, though, regardless of merits / demerits.
    Oh, an Atlus game?

Call me when it releases.
    In 2014. :rolleyes:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Oh, an Atlus game?

Call me when it releases.
    In 2014. :rolleyes:

The Persona 4 Arena situation is beyond farcicial at this point. They can keep Code of Princess - which has been pretty harshly received by many of the more reliable sources out there - if they just get P4A out. Although TBH Atlus (or Zen United, although by the sounds of it they're half responsible, half victim) only shot themselves in the foot when it comes to sales due to the delay. The game will arrive with a whimper if and when it does show up in Europe.

**** region locking.

Zen United have a history of being an awful publisher with a lot of delayed games. They blame it on the region coding programming despite the fact that only a single variable needs to be changed in the code to disable it or set the region. They're a joke, I'd say it's more them looking for capital to get enough copies out there.

+1 about Far Cry 2, a brilliant game only slightly spoiled by the re population of the various rebel checkpoints as soon as you turn your back after clearing them out!
    If not for that it would have been an incredible game, instead it feels a bit cheap, using up ammo and gun health and then asking you to do it all again, but the story, the landscape, the sense of place that only a few games share, greats like Dark Souls or Luigis Mansion, a great game, must play it again.

Yeah Far Cry 2 is a fascinating game, and has ambition to spare. It does alas eventually get dragged down by the constant respawning enemies and mechanics that were so refreshing for the first few hours. But it's a really intriguing setting, and it's a game where you actually feel like there's a constant fight for survival. So many games developers are so anxious to make you an overpowered killing machine that they sometimes forget how much more interesting it can be to make you vulnerable.

I have the third game to start, but no Clint Hocking :(

• Advertisement

Yeah, all the forums are saying that, in tests, the Lan is showing up to be slower than the Wifi connection, that the system is not yet optimised for a physical connection at all.

I can't say I've had similar results. The wired connection is far faster on my network anyway. Had the update done in less than an hour, versus the wireless which was at about 20% after two hours & then subsequently failed. Havn't had a single issue using the Wii lan adapter

I'm sure there's a daily mail newspaper headline in there, "Fenian plot to strip Great Britain of her precious retro gaming treasure...

Fixed that for ya ;)
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyone played BLOPS 2? I know CoD gets a lot of slagging but it's a fun mindless way to spend a few hours at christmas. I usually don't mind them but BLOPS 2 has seriously disappointed me....

I have it but haven't started it yet. Christmas vouchers were burning a hole in my pocket so I grabbed it a few days ago. Don't think I would have paid cash for it otherwise though. The series has become more and more bland, generic, and irrelevant in the last few years, like it was a victim of it's own success. It went from something new and exciting with modern warfare and world at war to an uninspiring, once annual November cash cow focused on the irritating multiplayer competitive mode to the detriment of story and all the other aspects of it. I'll probably play it for a while, think "meh", and then trade/sell it like I did the last couple.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They tried to shake things up with new Strike missions that give you a RTS view of the game and you can jump into any unit at any time. These would be fine except for one thing, the AI of your team mates is terrible....

The AI in COD has always been a bit "get behind the darkies" though hasn't it? (that was a south park reference BTW, not me being a racist!). You can't ever rely on your AI buddies, you're on your own, they're basically cannon fodder/bullet shields, and the enemy AI always seem to ignore them most of the time and send 90% of their ammo your way.

It went from something new and exciting with modern warfare and world at war to an uninspiring, once annual November cash cow focused on the irritating multiplayer competitive mode to the detriment of story and all the other aspects of it.

Well I wouldn't be that kind on World atWar. thought it was terrible especially compared to the two WW2 CoD games before it on PC. Even the disappointing CoD 2 was far better.
    The AI in COD has always been a bit "get behind the darkies" though hasn't it? (that was a south park reference BTW, not me being a racist!). You can't ever rely on your AI buddies, you're on your own, they're basically cannon fodder/bullet shields, and the enemy AI always seem to ignore them most of the time and send 90% of their ammo your way.

Yes it's always been pretty bad but the problems with these missions is that you need to be in 3 or 4 places at once which is impossible so have to rely on the AI which is abaolutely terrible. It just doesn't work. Also all these levels suffer from respawning enemy syndrome.

Are we forgetting perennial 2nd placers Treyarch made this one?
    Are y'all expecting a lot from the gunw@nk genre?
    When was the last time we had a truly great one?
    Well...
    Spec Ops The Line is probably it, as far as consoles are concerned.

The Crysis and Far Cry series are probably some of the best first person titles, aside from the superb Metroid Prime games.
    But then, there's Half Life 2 and sequels plus the Portal games as well...
    So, real world war games are a bust.

Doing sprite sheets for my main character all day today. At least I got them all out of the way. I can start working on the controls tomorrow and maybe even atesting some enemies tomorrow if I have time and aren't sick of pixel art by then.

Here's a sample:

234278.png

Cool, like Siberia but in 8bit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Put me in it! I can just throw empty vodka bottles as my attack :P

Put me in it! I can just throw empty vodka bottles as my attack :P

Drunken hobbits might just fit the setting. I'll see what I can do. I do need an enemy like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Hmmm...isn't pixel art just a way for indie developers to be lazy with their work?

*flees*

• Advertisement

Hmm...
    Hmv in Sligo had their WiiU games discounted, no such discount in Swords :(
    Very disappointed, hoped to pick something up...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement