Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Does anyone actually watch TV anymore? cant remember the last time I actually watched anything on tv

I'm the same, it's more or less all downloads for me and Netflix etc. I'd watch the odd thing on actual live tv but not a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Same here. Far too high a scutter to content ratio. Plus ads? I don't do ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Does anyone actually watch TV anymore? cant remember the last time I actually watched anything on tv

Only time I watch any tv is when I travel back to Drogheda to visit the parents. My TV here in my house is, and always has been, simply used for gaming. Oddly enough, I love watching adverts when I travel over to the east side now though, as I never get to see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Where else would you be able to see Arrested Development season 4 and the latest Breaking Bad?
    Oh wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

EnterNow wrote: »
    Imagine the cost of asking Sky to r&d a new box that integrated with the one via hdmi-cec, bypasses all the Sky branding, & allowed the One to control it as per the demo. Then asking them to replace every single customers Sky box, in order to enable them to have a better One experience...then asking UPC to do the same. The One will work well in the US, not over here.

I actually don't think the box issue is massive as sky and UPC don't do the R&D on the boxes they use and they will update their boxes over time anyway. What I do think will be a massive issue is doing a deal with Sky where the One will bypass the branding etc. it would be a bit liek signing over all your customers. Sky have spent the last 20 years building its customer base and reputation as premium TV providers, I can't see them giving it up to MS.
    It won't work like that over here though, your mates are in for a surprise if they think the One will function in their living rooms as it did in the MS conference. Plus again, we have very little content that as compared with the US market.

I think once they see it and the price tag they won't be so bothered, none of them play games at all even though more than half of them have 360s
    I'm certainly not adverse to giving out about Sony, but MS has made this easy for them this time around. Plus with PS+, MS have it all to do to convince me the One is the way to go.

Agree, I'm not particularly excited about PS4 but at least at this point it is far ahead of MS in my gaming consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I usually have the Telly on as background noise if I'm on the computer or whatever but other than that I wouldn't watch anything. I used the free month of Netflix but never really watched much. I also got an Apple TV last year which has been gathering dust ever since so I definitely can't see myself using the new Xbox for tv if the features are available here.. If I buy an Xbox I want it for gaming. If I want to watch tv with a fancy interface then I'd buy a system dedicated to that like the slingbox in the states.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

deathrider wrote: »
    Only time I watch any tv is when I travel back to Drogheda to visit the parents.

I couldn't watch TV with my parents.
    The swearing and booby quotient is far too high.
    I've asked them not to watch it when I'm there but they just won't listen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I think you need to block the adult channels :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Actually, it was repeats of Minder....

"I could be so good for you...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Nah, nothing like sitting down with your mum and watching an episode of "Spartacus: Blood and Sand". :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

The awkwardness, it shall never be forgotten :0/

• Advertisement

You should probably stay away from Davinci's Demons as well, large shagging/bare bum element there as well.

But little comes close to the embarrassment of mistakenly using a tv show on videogames to promote your love of the pasttime to a friend.
    Sorrowfully the show was Gamezville..... oh dear....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

There doesn't seem to be much of that going on when the mother's watching her soaps or the Late Late Show.

deathrider wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be much of that going on when the mother's watching her soaps or the Late Late Show.

Sure, there was no sex in Ireland until the Late Late came along!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Speaking of TV... Anyone watching anime Attack on Titan? Jack and the Beanstalk by way of Game of Thrones, Spider-Man, Shadow of the Colossus and old-school 90s anime. It's ridiculous but a hell of a lot of fun. If any show was ever calling out for a big budget video game adaptation...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'm certainly not adverse to giving out about Sony, but MS has made this easy for them this time around. Plus with PS+, MS have it all to do to convince me the One is the way to go.

Afaik PS+ is being replaced by an Xbox live type subscription service. Not sure if that's a step backwards or not as I'm not really familiar with how PS+ works. Sony also mentioned the tech is in place for some form of DRM on second hand games but that they might leave it up to publishers to enforce?

The PS4 still looks the more desirable machine at the minute though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Speaking of TV... Anyone watching anime Attack on Titan? Jack and the Beanstalk by way of Game of Thrones, Spider-Man, Shadow of the Colossus and old-school 90s anime. It's ridiculous but a hell of a lot of fun. If any show was ever calling out for a big budget video game adaptation...

It's getting a videogame adaptation.

I watched, thought it was a bit vapid so didn't bother with it but hearing it's good so will give it another chance.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Afaik PS+ is being replaced by an Xbox live type subscription service. Not sure if that's a step backwards or not as I'm not really familiar with how PS+ works. Sony also mentioned the tech is in place for some form of DRM on second hand games but that they might leave it up to publishers to enforce?

If Sony can improve the dreadful download times and ease the day one massive patches I'll definitely be giving the PS4 an airing.

Who knows, the PS4 could be this coming generations PS2!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Who knows, the PS4 could be this coming generations PS2!

The 3DS has already taken that title.

Andrew76 wrote: »

PS+ is a subscription service, like XBL already. The difference is, they give you free games every month & usually a further 10% off in sales for PS+ subbed users. Since joining it there a few months back, it's easily paid for itself already. The free model, PSN {SEN nowadays?} is free multiplayer etc, but no free content or discounts etc.

I'd like to see PS+ continuing with free games etc on the PS4, it mightn't happen straight away though given how few games there will be in all likelihood for a while after launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

In something barely even video-game related, let alone retro: EA have just taken over my favourite version of Scrabble online. Two seconds into their reign, and after a few months of dev-time, the thing's failing to boot.

I guess I should prep myself for matchmaking micro-transactions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's getting a videogame adaptation.

I watched, thought it was a bit vapid so didn't bother with it but hearing it's good so will give it another chance.

The announced visual novels aren't the ideal translation of a series featuring epic, fast paced citywide battles against giants! Hopefully something a little bigger shows up.

But yeah it's hardly high art but in their defence they've already gone some pretty curious directions with characters and the narrative. Watch until episode five at least, that's the biggie so far.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    In something barely even video-game related, let alone retro: EA have just taken over my favourite version of Scrabble online. Two seconds into their reign, and after a few months of dev-time, the thing's failing to boot.

I guess I should prep myself for matchmaking micro-transactions.

They'll be charging you for extra vowels next!

To check your opponent, please purchase the checks'alot DLC pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

They'll be charging you for extra vowels next!

Srsly, wlnd't b srprsd.

There's an ad for Facebook Credit hovering over the top of the 'play' window, so something's definitely coming.
    Get Facebook Credits for Free!
    Get 30 Facebook Credits (a €2.35 value) for free just by adding your credit card or PayPal account. You can use Facebook Credits to get ahead in SCRABBLE Mattel.

This is legit the only fun reason to have a Facebook, and they've bunged it.

Jeremy Parish, forever saying things better than I'll ever say it... and calling me pompous:
    Once used games sales are locked down, what bogeyman will publishers use to blame the continuing losses caused by their own awful practices?

One of the writers from HG101 and retrogamer magazine is trying to raise money for a book chronicling japanese videogame history. He's looking for money to conduct interviews and hire an interpreter. Seems like a decent kickstarter to support:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Once used games sales are locked down, what bogeyman will publishers use to blame the continuing losses caused by their own awful practices?
    Hash Slinging Slasher?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The 3DS has already taken that title.
    really, how so?
    Ps2 had shovelware but also had a lot of decent 3rd party content..
    the 3ds..er?

Dr Bob wrote: »
    really how so?

It's been around 2 years and it's already a stupidly good console with even more on the way. Looking to be a massive seller as well.

• Advertisement

Don't MS remember how retail killed the PSPGo? This is just pure greed and goes completely against first sale doctrine. I never trade in myself but it's a sickening practice.

feck that !
    What it boils down to is..if I have to pay over a tenner for a two year+ old 2nd game (unless its some sort of superduper AAA title ), you can stick it up your jacksie.End of.

I dont trade in but I tend to look for old , second hand current at a reasonable price.(Possibly its one of the reasons I've never bothered with a lot of the marquee Wii titles last gen , they just didn't deprecate enough for me to see them as being worth a purchase...)
    PC gaming doesnt have trade ins, but at least with steam older games do drop in price to something I'd see as reasonable , most of the time.. (plus I do most of my shopping during steam sales;))

It's been around 2 years and it's already a stupidly good console with even more on the way. Looking to be a massive seller as well.
    Its kind of been off my radar, there hasnt been much out for it thats made me regret not buying one.(at least until it gets a decent castlevania game)

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Its kind of been off my radar, there hasnt been much out for it thats made me regret not buying one.(at least until it gets a decent castlevania game)

Well that ain't happening with Iga now working in the basement of Konami making mobile games while a bunch of Spaniards have taken over the series and are busy slapping the Castlevania name on games that bear very little resemblance to the series.

All I know is Shin Megami Tensei IV is coming to the system in Summer and will more than likely be the best game this year.

I've sunk over 60 hours into fire emblem at this stage, it really is that good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Donkey country returns 3D is really great. Looks beautiful, enjoying the gameplay, blah blah. Buy it :)

Conker's Bad Fur Day Director's commentary on youtube. Say what you will about the game this is fascinating stuff:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-28-conkers-bad-fur-day-creators-get-together-for-directors-commentary-over-a-decade-after-release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wouldn't click that link folks, looks to be spamming scum.

/Edit - aaaaaaaand it's gone.

Conker's Bad Fur Day Director's commentary on youtube. Say what you will about the game this is fascinating stuff:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-28-conkers-bad-fur-day-creators-get-together-for-directors-commentary-over-a-decade-after-release
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I wouldn't click that link folks, looks to be spamming scum.

:D

{ok ok, there was a spam post in between that's been deleted, but still}

Master of the Universe

:D

{ok ok, there was a spam post in between that's been deleted, but still}

Hahaha! Didn't even think of that :pac:

Retr0, you're not spamming scum, don't worry.

(You're just standard scum! :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Another quick update on the progress of my bartop arcade cab build:

I'll watch it later, being a fan of the game.
    It is certainly a damn sight better than DK64.
    But then, a swift kick in the goolies is better than DK64!
    Not to besmirch Rare to much, I loved Jet Force Gemini, Banjo,Diddy Kong Racing and the utterly superb Blast Corp, the latter needs a 3DS update now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Think you're a serious gamer? Think again!

s9zhKKC.jpg

Master of the Universe

By Josef Fritzl Creations?

I'll watch it later, being a fan of the game.
    It is certainly a damn sight better than DK64.

They actually mention the only reason DK64 needed the 4MB expansion was that the unexpanded version kept crashing and they couldn't fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

great for hiding in during The Purge.

I don't think I've ever be able to resist the urge to roll the thing down a big hill if I ever saw someone inside it.

Here's what I've been doing most of the morning:

http://www.pica-pic.com/#/nu_pogodi/

It's a site with a load of old handheld electronic games fully playable and with online highscores. I've todays 5th highest Donkey Kong Jr. score although I used to be able to max out the score at 999.

Yikes. Someone found a side quest in Final Fantasy IX that no one knew about before:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568409

I have the official strategy guide and that isn't in it.

Master of the Universe

Apparently that strategy guide is a pile of crap!

This reminds me - I have to go back to FF IX. Played loads of it, loved it, but it was put down for some reason.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Apparently that strategy guide is a pile of crap!

This reminds me - I have to go back to FF IX. Played loads of it, loved it, but it was put down for some reason.

It's grand except for one little detail, squaresoft were setting up playonline for FFXI and to try it out they had the birlliant idea of having most of the contents of the strategy guid eonly available through that website. That meant my strategy guide is full of pages printed from my PC at the time :/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement