Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

And of course none of those web links are functioning any more.

It's like a grim view of the future of games consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Today is the 20th anniversary of the release of the Super Mario Bros. movie.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9123782/the-strange-case-super-mario-bros-movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Today is the 20th anniversary of the release of the Super Mario Bros. movie.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9123782/the-strange-case-super-mario-bros-movie

Thats one of those crimes against humanity that people want to forget right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a weird movie, I heard the writers of Max Headroom wrote the script. What were they thinking?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Thats one of those crimes against humanity that people want to forget right?
    You should really try watching the movie again. It's so hilarious in its badness. Just like the Street Fighter movie.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a weird movie, I heard the writers of Max Headroom wrote the script. What were they thinking?
    I think they discussed that in the link from my last post.

New Sonic looks very good. Reminds me of Sonic Xtreme

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

New Sonic looks very good

For the love of *non denominational prophet* don't make us pull out that Sonic Cycle jpeg again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Not sure about the character design on the bad guys... got a bit of a Space Jame bang off them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

sonic lost world looks like its going to better than mario galaxy

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Just done a half an hour workout with Mel B on the Xbox. She's left me a broken man :(

But I'm going to stick to it and see if I get any results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I seriously doubt that :)

Oh_no_you_didn%27t.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

5f6059f7_8066a319-a201-4a8a-95a4-cd67f31ad11f.jpeg

There's more hope of Atavan starting a self help group than there is of a modern Sonic game being 1) actually any good, and 2) coming anywhere close to Mario Galaxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

New Sonic looks very good. Reminds me of Sonic Xtreme

aaaadafuq.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Who knows, a good Sonic game made outside the 1990's, perhaps...
    But it's be loath to judge the quality of a game based on the trailer or a cut scene, might as well chuck your taste in games in the nearest bin and become a games journo!
    Isn't Galaxy 2 better than Galaxy?
    I can relax now, once that question filled me with worry, but no more because I own them both!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just done a half an hour "workout" with Mel B on the Xbox. She's left me a broken manhood :(

But I'm going to stick it in and see if I get any results!

^^^ I'm really sorry, couldn't resist :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Who knows, a good Sonic game made outside the 1990's, perhaps...
    But it's be loath to judge the quality of a game based on the trailer or a cut scene, might as well chuck your taste in games in the nearest bin and become a games journo!
    Isn't Galaxy 2 better than Galaxy?
    I can relax now, once that question filled me with worry, but no more because I own them both!

I prefer Galaxy 2, its more of the same but everything just feels...nicer? the level design is amazing too, and the music is fooking brilliant, had a huge grin on my face when I heard the Throwback Galaxy level music.

WOOOO! That's the first time in god only knows how long that I've been excited for a Sonic game, but I have to say...what role, if any, is Eggman gonna play in this?

• Advertisement

Here's the thing though: if they haven't come even remotely close to nailing the standard, linear 3D Sonic game, how the hell are they going to manage throwing in all manner of other dimensional shenanigans (the answer is, frankly, they won't - they're almost without exception incoherent messes already).

Also, the only 'problem' with Mario Galaxy II is that lack of newness - it's like the best expansion pack ever made. But in terms of overall design, it's almost without doubt that bit more tightly honed than its predecessor. Both games, simply, are masterpieces.

Here's the thing though: if they haven't come even remotely close to nailing the standard, linear 3D Sonic game, how the hell are they going to manage throwing in all manner of other dimensional shenanigans (the answer is, frankly, they won't).

I don't know, think they may be on to something here. The problem with 3D sonic (other than a 3D engine that was broken on release in 1998) is that the developers think his speed is what makes Sonic unique and not the fact that his movement is totally inertia controlled and the old 2D games aren't even all that fast. By pulling the camera right back and at a low angle you get to see much more of where sonic is in 3D space and it looks like you will have much more control over where he goes. I think this one might actually work.

I don't know, think they may be on to something here. The problem with 3D sonic (other than a 3D engine that was broken on release in 1998) is that the developers think his speed is what makes Sonic unique and not the fact that his movement is totally inertia controlled and the old 2D games aren't even all that fast. By pulling the camera right back and at a low angle you get to see much more of where sonic is in 3D space and it looks like you will have much more control over where he goes. I think this one might actually work.

The problem is there's no hint in that trailer that they've learned that lesson, instead seeming like a straight adaptation of the incoherently, obnoxiously fast gameplay that has plagued every Sonic game of the 3D era - twirling, mind-numbing camera angles and all (assuming, of course, they're not liberally using non-player angles, but the samples there seem par for the course in modern Sonic). All it suggests they've done is add another complication to a fundamentally broken system.

Of course, it's a trailer, and who knows? But really: Sonic Team have yet to show any evidence they have even the foggiest notion of what they're doing, so well over a decade later I'm of the 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twenty times, shame on us' attitude. Much like Michael Bay probably isn't going to make a decent film at this stage, I think Sonic Team just keep flogging the deadest of horses, and emulating the masters will only potentially leave them open to further ridicule and failure. But it will still sell like gangbusters, and there's always the slim possibility of it actually all coming together somehow, so whatever.

I have to agree with the good Film mod here. Vintage Sonic for me holds massive standing gaming & nostalgia wise. I've seen nothing that even comes close to those games in a long time. The fundamentals, that actually made Sonic a successful franchise, have long since disappeared form the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So apparently my new Saturn just needed a replacement fuse on the PSU
    No problem I though, ill just nick the one from my semi working Saturn.

Cue lots of sparks... And two now dead Sega Saturn's. Just abtad frustrated. Anybody have or know of where I can get a replacement EU PSU?

Achilles wrote: »

Cue lots of sparks... And two now dead Sega Saturn's. Just abtad frustrated. Anybody have or know of where I can get a replacement EU PSU?

If the fuse was gone in the psu, the console wouldn't have turned on...it wouldn't have been an intermittent prob like you described previously. I'd say you'll have a tough job finding a psu, best off buying one that doesn't read discs or something & pillage the psu from that

EnterNow wrote: »
    If the fuse was gone in the psu, the console wouldn't have turned on...it wouldn't have been an intermittent prob like you described previously. I'd say you'll have a tough job finding a psu, best off buying one that doesn't read discs or something & pillage the psu from that

Well the PSU in my original still works all I did was swap a fuse. I reckon the PSU in the replacement I got is dodgy.

If I transplant the working PSU with replacement fuse I cant see why it wouldn't work. Any idea which fuse I need?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Started playing Sonic 1 on the Nomad recently and while I'm enjoying it, it's also quite frustrating. As you say, and EnterNow said it before, it's not about rushing through the level as I want to explore the place. But I find his slow movement hard to get used to, it's a little too heavy on the inertia side, like you're carrying a fish tank full of water when trying to stop. Maybe that's just lack of game time speaking or maybe I was spoilt by Mario's movement which always felt spot on.

Cool game nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Fishing update

Caught lots of fish then slipped on a rock this morning and have ended up with a badly sprained ankle

Bugger:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Achilles wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

EnterNow wrote: »
    There's more hope of Atavan starting a self help group than there is of a modern Sonic game being 1) actually any good, and 2) coming anywhere close to Mario Galaxy

Generation and Colours were a good crack at redeeming the brand, all told. Granted, they'd some of the borkings that've plagued Sonic since his leap to the Z-axis in '98, such as the occasional over-reliance on speed tracks, but I felt 85% satisfied with the finished products.

As for the SMG compared to Lost Worlds. I doubt it, very much, but no harm living in delusion hope.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Fishing update

Caught lots of fish then slipped on a rock this morning and have ended up with a badly sprained ankle

Bugger:mad:

Feck, stick a cold compress and drink plenty of alcohol!

Also, don't use it as an excuse of avoiding us at the Beers!
    There may be cake!

In other news I've gotten the arcade builds of Tekken 3 and Tekken tag working properly now on my test arcade cab pc build... mess that's currently on my kitchen table.

936937_10201433037890673_49906140_n.jpg

Currently unraring Hyperspin with a feckload of ROMs... looking forward to playing with that. If I have time later tonight I'll also remove Windows explorer and sort out some custom boot animations etc.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Generation and Colours were a good crack at redeeming the brand, all told. Granted, they'd some of the borkings that've plagued Sonic since his leap to the Z-axis in '98, such as the occasional over-reliance on speed tracks, but I felt 85% satisfied with the finished products.

As for the SMG compared to Lost Worlds. I doubt it, very much, but no harm living in delusion hope.

Generation was prob the best effort I've seen since the golden days of the franchise, but the controls, camera & speed killed it for me. It all feels far too much 'on rails', whereby the vintage Sonic games impressed in other far simpler ways. I did enjoy the new take on old zones, but the controls & in particular the physics are all wrong, & let it down for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Started playing Sonic 1 on the Nomad recently and while I'm enjoying it, it's also quite frustrating. As you say, and EnterNow said it before, it's not about rushing through the level as I want to explore the place. But I find his slow movement hard to get used to, it's a little too heavy on the inertia side, like you're carrying a fish tank full of water when trying to stop. Maybe that's just lack of game time speaking or maybe I was spoilt by Mario's movement which always felt spot on.

Cool game nonetheless.

I could understand how the controls in Sonic could be frustrating to someone used to playing Mario games alright - as I had the exact opposite happen to me! :D

Was so used to dealing with Sonic's inertia that when I started playing Mario games he felt like he was too responsive.

I guess the designers were trying to achieve different things in both games. Sonic is about exploration but it is also about speed. The inertia adds to that. Probably makes it feel like you're running faster than you actually are.

On the other hand, Mario is far more about timed jumps - so you need that level of response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

"LOAD"
    yjmyjuyjhuyhyhr.jpg

http://vimeo.com/66599774#

Worth a look

Grr, I've had my first experience of asking international sellers to ship to Ireland, them saying yeah sure and then when I go to snipe I'm informed that the seller woun't ship to Ireland :(

Master of the Universe

Grr, I've had my first experience of asking international sellers to ship to Ireland, them saying yeah sure and then when I go to snipe I'm informed that the seller woun't ship to Ireland :(

:( DAMN! I hate when that happens.

It's usually a good idea just to throw down a bid after they said they changed it to make sure. Even just a tiny test bid.

Was it a UK auction?

To be safe, whenever I snipe UK auctions I always change my default address to my UK Parcel Motel one - even if they said they've changed it. Can never be too safe when sniping! :D

It was a german and an aussie auction.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ah crap :(

Only way around that is to go into your ebay address settings and add Germany or Australia as you country. Then change back after the auction ends :D

Pain in the arse though.

If only I had of known that :/ Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ah Germany and Australia, the place to get over priced pal stuff is cheap.

Pity aussie shipping is so high.

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ah Germany and Australia, the place to get over priced pal stuff is cheap.

Yep! Loads of my rarer PAL Megadrive stuff came from Australia. Until everyone else copped on :(

Pity I'm late to the party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Still can get a few deals though. Last year I got megaman x2, terranigma and mario party 3 for peanuts in comparison to what they can go for.

Terranigma is one of the games I'm looking for. The worst thing is I had it in my hands a while ago and gave it to my friend in the US for helping me out when I was over there last year. Oh well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    "LOAD"
    yjmyjuyjhuyhyhr.jpg

http://vimeo.com/66599774#

Worth a look

Very cool. Tape counter never moved that fast when loading though.

Just so you should know, Shadow Warrior is currently available on Steam for free, so why don't you go and check that out, eh?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Very cool. Tape counter never moved that fast when loading though.

It only moved slower when you were looking at it. Going to make a cup of tea exponentially improved loading speeds.

Taking magic mushrooms to look at the coloured load lines on the other hand was not recommended.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement