Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Terranigma is one of the games I'm looking for. The worst thing is I had it in my hands a while ago and gave it to my friend in the US for helping me out when I was over there last year. Oh well.

I got that from an Aussie seller. It pops up on eBay.com a few times as well and can go for a bit lower than normal.
    I know a user on here got a boxed copy for a sub €100 price, which is ggood.
    I only played it for a hour or so and never really got into it.

Could you not of giving that person Rise of Robots or summit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

http://i.imgur.com/Aj1Ss0B.gif

So tempted to attach this properly but I'll leave it as a link.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Just so you should know, Shadow Warrior is currently available on Steam for free, so why don't you go and check that out, eh?

gaah , only just bought it on Gog on sunday..doh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The guys who made the excellent Critter Crunch and Sword & Sorcery EP have a neat looking 2D shooter coming out based on 'ghosts' and replays, actually:

It's been done before on a smaller scale (that Winterbottom game from a few years back among others), but this one will hopefully dial it up to 11!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Managed to sneak home yesterday evening and rescue about 3 bags worth of games.

Mostly PS2 and Gamecube era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Excellent news for Techno and I, Parcel Motel has come to Arklow! Get in. Right outside Tescos. :cool:

Great news! I'm just two weeks late to the party!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Got a cheap 360 yesterday. Still don't like it as much as PSN, but I'l wait till I get some more games for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DinoRex wrote: »
    Managed to sneak home yesterday evening and rescue about 3 bags worth of games.

Mostly PS2 and Gamecube era.

Rescue? What happened?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Rescue? What happened?

Oh I'm just not terribly welcome at home, so I don't have much access to the bulk of my old collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

DinoRex wrote: »
    Oh I'm just not terribly welcome at home, so I don't have much access to the bulk of my old collection.

You could always make something like that Xbox 360 Gaming Pod?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I just watched the first two episodes of this. I've gotta say, I'm quite entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

deathrider wrote: »
    I just watched the first two episodes of this. I've gotta say, I'm quite entertained.

So, you weren't around whenever it aired on TCC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Love that series so much.
    The Adventures series is really weird (good for the odd giggle though)
    And ive a soft spot for Sonic X :o

So, you weren't around whenever it aired on TCC?

I don't remember this one from back in the day at all. I remember The Den used to play a the other Sonic cartoon... the strange one with the chicken and the drill dude. I don't remember seeing this one here though, but it's quite cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I never actually remember sonic being on tv. Perhaps I was too young :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That show was always about the theme songs. Actually don't really remember anything else about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I never actually remember sonic being on tv. Perhaps I was too young :(
    I do and not much older than you, can't remember what channel it was for sure but I remember it changed into Trouble and was heartbroken because that day was meant to be a continued episode, was bawling my eyes out.
    (checking wiki it might have been TCC I'm thinking of)

Sera wrote: »
    I do and not much older than you, can't remember what channel it was for sure but I remember it changed into Trouble and was heartbroken because that day was meant to be a continued episode, was bawling my eyes out.
    (checking wiki it might have been TCC I'm thinking of)
    Awww, yeah, that was dickish of them to actually change over to having Trouble air all the time, replacing TCC. Heh. I even remember when it was still called The Children's Channel.

Speaking of TCC, anyone else remember Oscar's Orchestra? And the Earthworm Jim cartoon?

Awww, yeah, that was dickish of them to actually change over to having Trouble air all the time, replacing TCC. Heh. I even remember when it was still called The Children's Channel.
    My heart actually broke, they did it with Fox Kids as well I think it was just after it turned into Jetix? (not sure too lazy to look). It had the Donkey Kong cartoon and .. Metabots?
    Speaking of TCC, anyone else remember Oscar's Orchestra? And the Earthworm Jim cartoon?
    Most people would remember EWJ, my cousin's house had it on all the time so I was delighted. Haven't thought about OO in ages, wasn't mad about it but remember it

• Advertisement

Definitely remember earthworm Jim. Always watched it. I mainly watched nickelodeon as a kid though.

Definitely remember earthworm Jim. Always watched it. I mainly watched nickelodeon as a kid though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

That show was always about the theme songs. Actually don't really remember anything else about it.

alot of the TV shows from the 80's or 90's were nearly more memorable for their theme song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" just out on iPad for those with the hardware and an interest :)

Just under 2gigs and 9 Euro.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-wars-knights-old-republic/id611436052?mt=8

xstarwarsjpgpagespeedic.jpg

My heart actually broke, they did it with Fox Kids as well I think it was just after it turned into Jetix? (not sure too lazy to look). It had the Donkey Kong cartoon and .. Metabots?
    Ehhh, Jetix wasn't much different from Fox Kids. Fox sold it to Disney, if I recall. I think it became Disney XD, now. Also, I don't recall the Donkey Kong cartoon to be any good. I remember enjoying Medabots, though.

Continuing on from channels of our childhood, remember when Cartoon Network launched CNX...only to rebrand it to Toonami about a year later?

The memories! For years I couldn't recall that city of gold one and I loved it when I was wee.

Best tunes ever from 80s and early 90s
    Mask (the one that was pushing toys not the green faced loon one)
    Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
    Visionaries
    Lonestar- where the horse he rode on also had bipedal abilities and a blunderbuss type weapon
    Centurions
    X-Men
    Freakazoid
    Defenders of the Earth
    Dragonball Z- the show where the spun out maybe 10 episodes of material into like 60!
    Doug
    Real Monsters
    Courage Cowardly Dog
    Ghostbusters- the show where I would drop whatever I was doing and run home to watch.
    Batman the animated series buts Nolan and Bale's stuff to shame.

The joys of having younger siblings means you always had an excuse to watch crap cartoons but also having to watch the real kid stuff. Thank god they both liked Tom and Jerry.

Anyone remember waking up before tele and having to wait for the test card to **** off!
    Rte 1 and 2, bbc for a while on a crappy little tv eating biscuits for breakfast and hoping your Dad wouldn't wake up.
    Sorry or the nostalgia but I'm getting all misty eyed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to enjoy Battle of the Planets, Robotech and Ulysses.
    But we had far more ancient fare, so we got Huckleberry Hound, Secret Squirrel, Inch High Private Eye, Great Grape Ape, Hong Kong Phooey, Top Cat and standards like Tom & Jerry and Bugs.
    But the Goofy shorts about him as an everyman are pure genius, very cool.

And if you haven't seen the various Roger Rabbit shorts you really should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Jesus did I hate Dogtanian back in the day.

Watching that clip has actually made my angry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ehhh, Jetix wasn't much different from Fox Kids. Fox sold it to Disney, if I recall. I think it became Disney XD, now. Also, I don't recall the Donkey Kong cartoon to be any good. I remember enjoying Medabots, though.

Continuing on from channels of our childhood, remember when Cartoon Network launched CNX...only to rebrand it to Toonami about a year later?

Yeah i remember CNX, they tried, or did?, break the world record for continues TV watching when they launched.

Was a cool channel.

I loved cartoons from when I was growing up! Basically all of them! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    The memories! For years I couldn't recall that city of gold one and I loved it when I was wee.
    Dragonball Z- the show where the spun out maybe 10 episodes of material into like 60!

That show has been re-edited and is now on one of the Sky Kids channels as Dragon Ball Kai. It has condensed a lot of the material into smaller chunks by removing all of the padding. Sounds like a great idea on paper... but the voices and music are different and some of the dialogue has been changed.
    Heartbreaking stuff.

That show has been re-edited and is now on one of the Sky Kids channels as Dragon Ball Kai. It has condensed a lot of the material into smaller chunks by removing all of the padding. Sounds like a great idea on paper... but the voices and music are different and some of the dialogue has been changed.
    Heartbreaking stuff.

Yeah terrible stuff. I recently watched a fair chunk of the show again recently and it took ages to find the one I use to watch. There's a few different dubs and versions of it. I like the one where Vegeta sounds like a bolll@x not a little whiny pip.
    The plot is basically- big bad shows up and Goku narrowly defeats him but finds out a super strong guy is coming, cue training and 'comedy' routines, Goku is delayed so the others fight get defeated and Goku saves the day. Rinse and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Yeah terrible stuff. I recently watched a fair chunk of the show again recently and it took ages to find the one I use to watch. There's a few different dubs and versions of it. I like the one where Vegeta sounds like a bolll@x not a little whiny pip.
    The plot is basically- big bad shows up and Goku narrowly defeats him but finds out a super strong guy is coming, cue training and 'comedy' routines, Goku is delayed so the others fight get defeated and Goku saves the day. Rinse and repeat.

I read a few of the mangas and they're quite enjoyable in that format, partly because you end up reading the text with the voices you're used to hearing:)

I have a few VHS tapes from afew years ago (damn I just realsied that "afew" means +10 in this instance). I never thought VHS tapes would be worth holding onto but for the moment I'll be keeping them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Looks like someone wants to find a few million E.T. landfill carts:

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/southeast/alamogordo-approves-atari-excavation

A brand new Dragonball Z animated movie just came out in Japan recently too.

Goku fights a bunny rabbit apparently... http://www.dragonball2013.com/

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I used to enjoy Battle of the Planets, Robotech and Ulysses.
    But we had far more ancient fare, so we got Huckleberry Hound, Secret Squirrel, Inch High Private Eye, Great Grape Ape, Hong Kong Phooey, Top Cat and standards like Tom & Jerry and Bugs.
    But the Goofy shorts about him as an everyman are pure genius, very cool.

And if you haven't seen the various Roger Rabbit shorts you really should.

The Roger Rabbit shorts all all available in HD now on the Bluray release of the movie. You should really give it a watch, but short #3 is a bit too sharp for the eyes since it looks like they coloured it digitally instead of photographing it with cels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Apparently there might be a Mickey Mouse/Roger Rabbit feature on the way, called The Stooge.
    http://www.movieweb.com/news/the-stooge-concept-art-teases-3-roger-rabbit-shorts-with-mickey-mouse-and-donald-duck

Some lovely art there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Underground gamer shutdown it seems... for now at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Underground gamer shutdown it seems... for now at least.

Ohh for feck sake I'll never get my Hyperspin cab set up properly at this stage.

Anybody got Hyperspin preconfigured that they wouldn't mind me taking a copy?

Hyperspin preconfigured, doesn't really come that way.
    I got an image of Hyperspin, with everything there and when I transferred it to my hdd everything still had to be set up, it was a pain in the nethers to be sure.
    Other front ends are considerably easier to setup and worth considering, even though they aren't as attractive straight off the bat.
    Mala is a good one, very configurable and it won't cause premature baldness as you won't be tearing your hair out.
    It is easy to set up and can be used with custom art and rotatable menus, so you can have Tate and Horizontal modes too.

Hyperspin is great if you're willing to put time and considerable effort into it. And you can do so much with it, but it is a bit of a beast.
    With the scripting system they have for it combined with the easy ability to call external program/apps/utils is pretty darn awesome :)

I even wrote a couple of small C# programs to do a few background tasks when certain emu's are loaded and it just works great and helped improve my C# programming as I was only learning the language at the time.

In short, you'll take some or lots of knowledge away after you've setup Hyperspin from scratch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    In short, you'll take some or lots of knowledge away after you've setup Hyperspin from scratch :)

True, but it is a double edged sword. For a while after you've finished setting it all up, you're an expert at HS. But, due to the overwhelming fear of screwing it up, you never mess with it again, meaning you forget it all over time. Much like I have :(

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    True, but it is a double edged sword. For a while after you've finished setting it all up, you're an expert at HS. But, due to the overwhelming fear of screwing it up, you never mess with it again, meaning you forget it all over time. Much like I have :(

Nah, I'm always tinkering with it (better emulators, artwork, my own creations) :)
    But I've a mirror image of it that I update before any changes, just in case.

I have to agree with what was said earlier- Those cartoons had great theme tunes. I've had this Sonic one stuck in my head all day. Although Pokémon was a different time, it still sported a phenomenally catchy title track. I remember love the one from Pole Position back in the day too.

Anyone mention Gargoyles yet?

I love Bugs Bunny / Tom and Jerry they're top of my list. Favourite episodes for Bugs is the big red monster... is the Dracula one different episode ? (abracapocas) and the opera ones! (I was mad into Peter and the Wolf as a kid)
    favourite T&J's are the kitchen freezing over, Tom as baby, the beach one Jerry turns the pier into a woman's face, I know there's another but can't think.

My sister used to be mental for Gargoyles!

deathrider wrote: »
    My sister used to be mental for Gargoyles!
    Must have been for Goliath's sultry voice.

Speaking of which, I used to have a figure of Goliath.

Now this is real retro discussion.

My secret shame back in the day was watching Gummi Bears, by Disney, it honestly was because of the way it was put together, nice classical cinematic animation style, great choice acting and great music. Compared to the contemporary Smurfs it was far superior.

Tiny Toons and Batman Animated , both my WB, made grown ups watching cartoons cool again, and in the cinema The Little Mermaid was a reawakening of western popular animation around the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My secret shame back in the day was watching Gummi Bears, by Disney, it honestly was because of the way it was put together, nice classical cinematic animation style, great choice acting and great music. Compared to the contemporary Smurfs it was far superior.

Tiny Toons and Batman Animated , both my WB, made grown ups watching cartoons cool again, and in the cinema The Little Mermaid was a reawakening of western popular animation around the same time.

And it had a cracking theme tune. I love the 90's WB cartoons, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Taz-Mania, Freakazoid, Pinky & The Brain etc etc. and Batman The Animated Series was wasted on kids, one of the best portrayals of Batman you'll ever watch. the art deco art style was brilliant.

Animaniacs was demented for a kids show, so many great movie references that would fly straight over the heads of kids, the Goodfeathers pigeons and jokes about Orson Welles in a kids cartoon? you'd never see it today. Random fact, the guy who plays Wakko is the voice of Ironhide in the Tranformers movies, and Crash Bandicoot :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

This was posted on FB recently.

No idea where to put it but I thought you lot would appreciate it...

I love Bugs Bunny / Tom and Jerry they're top of my list. Favourite episodes for Bugs is the big red monster... is the Dracula one different episode ? (abracapocas) and the opera ones! (I was mad into Peter and the Wolf as a kid)
    favourite T&J's are the kitchen freezing over, Tom as baby, the beach one Jerry turns the pier into a woman's face, I know there's another but can't think.

I love the kitchen one but my favourite at the moment is the one where Jerry whistles for help and Tom gives him chung gums filled with glue.

• Advertisement

This is probably one of my most favourite cartoons of all time,
    "Stop, Look and Hasten!", a Road Runner feature.
    Please, give it 7 minutes of your time, the pay off with the pop up wall is priceless!
    Stop Look and Hasten!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement