Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was lucky enough to play 8 player linked Daytona back in the day when I was in Florida.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What's the retro gaming scene like in Canada, anything like how the US one is depicted in Game Chasers?
    Has anyone here tried getting games when there?
    Looks like I might be there for a few months and might go mad buying nes and snes stuff. Oh and a 3do if they can be gotten cheapish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to play 8 player linked Daytona back in the day when I was in Florida.

Imagine how much wiring is involved in that. Upkeep must be a nightmare.

Amazing bit of kit though. Thats one of the main things I miss about arcades - crazy machines which you could never replicate at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

ARG! I thought this was a real arcade convention. I mean, I don't want DotA or any of that. I just want stuff like this.

Oh man, am I depraved of some arcade fun.

I thought it was going to be like game on aswell

Sera wrote: »
    It's around a few years, some of people who run were absolute noobs to a few of my close friends, so I'd never go myself

Oh please do tell,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

urbanledge wrote: »
    Oh please do tell,
    It's too long to be putting up here, if you go to one of the beers remind me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Master of the Universe

The game discs are buried in landfill in New Mexico and have been covered with cement.

:pac:

• Advertisement

They should have just nuked the site from orbit.

Master of the Universe

Funnily enough, seeing as it's in a land fill covered by cement, it's probably one of the only things which would actually withstand a nuclear attack.

Now there's the true horror of a post apocalyptic Mad Max style future, E.T - the only game left to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They should have just nuked the site from orbit.

Only way to be Midge Ure....
    Sorry,
    Only way to be sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Really enjoying Dark Souls still, now over 50 hours on my second play through.

BukgHQz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I just finished Catherine last night. It's, without a doubt, one of the most interesting games I've played in aaaaaaaaaages!

deathrider wrote: »
    I just finished Catherine last night. It's, without a doubt, one of the most interesting games I've played in aaaaaaaaaages!

love that game! which ending did ya get, the one where vincent ends up ruling the underworld is hilarious :)

• Advertisement

love that game! which ending did ya get, the one where vincent ends up ruling the underworld is hilarious :)

Haha, nope, didn't get that one. I simply got the one where
    he gets dumped and falls asleep on the table at the bar.

Haha, nope, didn't get that one. I simply got the one where
    he gets dumped and falls asleep on the table at the bar.

Worth going back to see the others some of them are just ridiculous :p, her father appears and chews out vincent, hilarious stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wow Link is going to be in the Hobbit!!!

EvangelineHobbit-thumb-630xauto-39037.png

Worth going back to see the others some of them are just ridiculous :p, her father appears and chews out vincent, hilarious stuff

I'm not sure if I'd go through the whole thing again, but I may go youtubing to view the other endings. Are the endings the only things that change?

Laughed my ass off at that ending.

• Advertisement

Really is a must play for everyone

I loved the drink facts!....Going to the bar the whole time made me want to have a cool drink beside me everytime I played it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Wow Link is going to be in the Hobbit!!!

EvangelineHobbit-thumb-630xauto-39037.png

Transgender Link by the looks of it. :p

Is part two out this year? I was pleasantly surprised by the first one considering the negative reaction from some folk. Freeman wasn't at all convincing but not terrible either.

Really is a must play for everyone

I loved the drink facts!....Going to the bar the whole time made me want to have a cool drink beside me everytime I played it

I can feel that. Fantastic game from start to finish. I'd only borrowed the copy of it that I played, I'll certainly be purchasing my own copy soon though. This needs a place in my collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've been drinking in a field all day. My youth!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I've been drinking in a field all day. My youth!
    You're lucky the farmer didn't catch you again after him catching you what you were doing to his sheep.

Whats on the menu? Dutch fine ale? Gin and Tonics? or perhaps a snifter of Devils bit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Whats on the menu? Dutch fine ale? Gin and Tonics? or perhaps a snifter of Devils bit

Ah, the classics....
    Some Lindon Village in a 3ltr brown plastic bottle, now we're talking classy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Steve SI wrote: »
    Did anyone else see the recent one where Iwata guest starred and played a bit of Balloon Fight?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Transgender Link by the looks of it. :p

Is part two out this year? I was pleasantly surprised by the first one considering the negative reaction from some folk. Freeman wasn't at all convincing but not terrible either.

Yeah out at the end of the year, with the third out at the end of 2014 (they had over ambitiously suggested summer 2014, but changed their mind a while back).

The secret Konami code has been found in Contra 4. Can't believe it took so long to find:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Should have saved my GAL GUN money for it :P

Oh dear! Some things should stay in Japan! There might be some quirky rhythm game features, but lets be honest - it's a glorified dress her up em up!

Oh dear! Some things should stay in Japan! There might be some quirky rhythm game features, but lets be honest - it's a glorified dress her up em up!

Out really isn't that difficult to see the things that, inevitably, drew Sera and Retr0 together...
    Similar tastes in music, movies, games and of dressing up as Japanese schoolgirls.
    Come cosplay time I can only imagine the fights....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Wreck it ralph on blu ray is just as glorious as the cinema :D

Well that's it! Me and PayPal/eBay are done.
    Someone just activated a €450 chargeback on me :(
    Luckily thanks to o1s1n I took all my funds out on Monday after the refund trouble I had last week.
    Can I defeat this nasty chargeback foe? Buyer got and signed for item, that was sent to their paypal address and the same one the said through eBay message.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Well that's it! Me and PayPal/eBay are done.
    Someone just activated a €450 chargeback on me :(
    Luckily thanks to o1s1n I took all my funds out on Monday after the refund trouble I had last week.
    Can I defeat this nasty chargeback foe? Buyer got and signed for item, that was sent to their paypal address and the same one the said through eBay message.

What is this?
    Some sort of scam?
    Or is it an error?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What is this?
    Some sort of scam?
    Or is it an error?

Buyer is claiming its an unauthorised payment from their card with claim back for something that was sold back in Feb.
    I mailed the person today but no response as of yet, so it's likely a scam.
    Edit: no sorry their ebay account is closed.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Buyer is claiming its an unauthorised payment from their card with claim back for something that was sold back in Feb.
    I mailed the person today but no response as of yet, so it's likely a scam.
    Edit: no sorry their ebay account is closed.
    Was the message from eBay real? If you're looking to contact PP and eB, phone seems to be a lot faster, guy I got on PP last time was very helpful.
    I don't think they could do anything anyway, it's past the 40 days to claim? and you've protected as a seller with the tracking.

Sera wrote: »
    Was the message from eBay real? If you're looking to contact PP and eB, phone seems to be a lot faster, guy I got on PP last time was very helpful.
    I don't think they could do anything anyway, it's past the 40 days to claim? and you've protected as a seller with the tracking.

It's genuine all right. It's from paypal also. I'm just going to upload the proofs of postage. It was signed for at their address as well so hopefully that should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

only thing I can think of is if the item was paid for via paypal using a stolen/cloned credit card, but something like that should have been long since picked up on, and you shouldn't really be liable for that anyway imo.

I'm crying I'm laughing so much! (;u; )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

So that new Xbox 1 game you just bought - well you don't own it and never will..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-07-microsoft-kills-game-ownership-and-expects-us-to-smile

Master of the Universe

If Sony does the same thing with the PS4, it looks like the WiiU may be the last console you can collect games for in the traditional sense.

20 years down the line we're going to be left with gaping holes in our retro libraries from this generation of games (and I'm sure every subsequent generation after that if it is a success)

So that new Xbox 1 game you just bought - well you don't own it and never will..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-07-microsoft-kills-game-ownership-and-expects-us-to-smile

To be fair you actually don't own any game you ever bought, software has to use licenses because of an archaic workaround academics came up with at the dawn of the software age with an attitude of 'ah sure they'll fix it later on'. They never did and Microsoft is making damn sure it's exploiting that software loophole where software and only software copyrighted works are handled differently from everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

To be fair you actually don't own any game you ever bought, software has to use licenses because of an archaic workaround academics came up with at the dawn of the software age with an attitude of 'ah sure they'll fix it later on'. They never did and Microsoft is making damn sure it's exploiting that software loophole where software and only software copyrighted works are handled differently from everything else.

Thats technically correct. But from a retrogaming perspective, this new system is definitely perceptually & physically different. I've a slew of Snes carts here on a shelf, in my head...I own them, they worked 20 years ago, they'll work in 20 years, they're real, you can touch them {hands off though!}

This new Xbox One way, gives the physical media the sole task of being an installation system for the game. Once installed, that disc is useless. It doesn't work on any other console. The original owner can sell the license to use that game one time only, but it'll be a license transfer, the disc is superfluous & irrelevant. This way, it's glaringly obvious that you don't own the content, you merely license it. In the past, such technicalities were not obvious, & never impacted on using nor collecting games.

Well I for one am far from happy with it. I doubt I'll pick up a Xbox One for a long time, possibly might not even get one.

Then again I really wouldn't put it past Sony to go the same route.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement