Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

pdbhp wrote: »
    That new Theatrythm Final Fantasy is out soon aswell, supposedly it is like Elite Beat Agents but RPG which should be a good thing?

Been out here a couple of weeks now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I actually really enjoyed the demo for Theatrhythm, but alas funds are limited so will have to wait 'til it's a bit cheaper. I do admittedly have a weakness for portable rhythm games, but it works surprisingly well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I just got pilotwings and street fighter, from Steve thanking you and those bags are great btw as I saw you were looking for opinions on them the other day if it is the same ones you were talking about couldn't display with them I think though, for the 3ds the other day so I'm sorted for my fix for a bit.
    Kinda bored of street fighter on it though and finding the button layout to be awkward when trying to use the shoulder buttons for the hard hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Street Fighter IV is more of a tech demo as to what the 3DS can do. It's impressive to see - but that's about it really. Couldn't see myself playing it for very long.

Pilot Wings was short, but good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I just got pilotwings and street fighter, from Steve thanking you and those bags are great btw as I saw you were looking for opinions on them the other day if it is the same ones you were talking about couldn't display with them I think though, for the 3ds the other day so I'm sorted for my fix for a bit.
    Kinda bored of street fighter on it though and finding the button layout to be awkward when trying to use the shoulder buttons for the hard hits.

Nah, they were just regular baggies I think. I didn't have these new poly bags when I sent out your stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

pdbhp wrote: »
    Anybody play Project Zero 2 on Wii yet? saw it yesterday in HMV, it's a port of a 10 year old PS2 title though which made me hold off on buying it.
    Don't even go for the new HD remake, as Retr0 said
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The ghosts are nowhere near as scary and there's new control additions that kill the tension. You are better off getting the cheaper and apparently better PS2 or Xbox release.
    IMO I'd stick to the PS2 version if you could, even the trailer for the remake has spoilers and one of the lads gave me a run down of the controls he said it was awful and there's bits added in so it's kinda different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I wasnt home for a week and I absolutely hate using laptops for posting in forums and stuff so i just didnt bother. I have a funny story though

I was walking through town yesterday when I spotted a A1 Sharon condition MD controller in the box in a charity window. Ok I'll pop in tomorrow and pick that up.....but no! I was told by the women behind the counter that that wont go on sale till Saturday morning then it will be priced and available

I didnt realise I was dealing with an auction house.....could have sworn it was a charity shop in Waterford

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I wasnt home for a week and I absolutely hate using laptops for posting in forums and stuff so i just didnt bother. I have a funny story though

I was walking through town yesterday when I spotted a A1 Sharon condition MD controller in the box in a charity window. Ok I'll pop in tomorrow and pick that up.....but no! I was told by the women behind the counter that that wont go on sale till Saturday morning then it will be priced and available

I didnt realise I was dealing with an auction house.....could have sworn it was a charity shop in Waterford

Lol wtf, was there some admin reason for that? Shouldn't have it in the window if there was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Lol wtf, was there some admin reason for that? Shouldn't have it in the window if there was.

Oh now listen all the charity shops have very strict rules about items in windows, usually they have a sign saying they won't be on sale till the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Oh now listen all the charity shops have very strict rules about items in windows, usually they have a sign saying they won't be on sale till the next week.

I don't get that.

Are charity shops trying to generate hype? That's some Craggy Island farce right there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

a5y wrote: »
    I don't get that.

Are charity shops trying to generate hype? That's some Craggy Island farce right there.

Yeah I've no idea if he/she was being serious or not, surely not? I'm not an expert on the inner workings of Charity shops but I would have thought it a bad idea to tell someone to come back another day to buy something - I certainly wouldn't come back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I saw a NES-001 and a few discoloured games selling for 90 euro in the window of one of those dodgy cash converting places in Galway over the weekend! Don't know if the first Nintendo DS ever made is worth that much...

I don't get that.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Yeah I've no idea if he/she was being serious or not, surely not? I'm not an expert on the inner workings of Charity shops but I would have thought it a bad idea to tell someone to come back another day to buy something - I certainly wouldn't come back.

I don't really know why but it is the case in all of them and they take it pretty seriously. I suppose they just want to be able to keep all the "good" stuff in the window for people to see and to not have to keep redoing the window day after day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well in any case if someone came in and said "I want to buy that controller in the window, how much is it?" I wouldn't say, ah come back in a week. You'd think they would just take the money and be happy with putting stuff into the cash register.

Really does confuse me. Unless they have one person that prices all the stuff for them, either or its a big pile of willy

• Advertisement

Well in any case if someone came in and said "I want to buy that controller in the window, how much is it?" I wouldn't say, ah come back in a week. You'd think they would just take the money and be happy with putting stuff into the cash register.

Really does confuse me. Unless they have one person that prices all the stuff for them, either or its a big pile of willy

well you have to remember that most of these shops are run by older ladies who aren't necessarily concerned with maximizing profits but rather fair play for everyone who wants to buy that controller and also being able to keep a windo display going for as long as possible, because after all if you don't come back next week, someone else probably will.

Besides most of the people Volunteering in those shops only do it so they can have first dibs on the stuff that comes in.:D

I came across this thread when looking for a bit of info on import duty and VAT.
    Might be useful to others.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

.but no! I was told by the women behind the counter that that wont go on sale till Saturday morning then it will be priced and available

That's actually really common among charity shops, it happened me before with a Doraemon plush, come back in 4 weeks, I had gone back in about 6 weeks later and found it anyway.

Our shop stopped doing it since we just replace the item from our "window selection" downstairs and am often asked when do the items on the window go on sale. Enable Ireland and LAW both do that afaik.

IMO it's ridiculous! you should be delighted someone wants to buy something especially during this economic climate, anytime I told someone come in tomorrow or next week they don't. Here's a good example, a woman wanted a TV that came into the shop, she put down a deposit of €25 and paid €25 the next week, it's been there for 2 months, fully paid for. You should only be worried about your window display if you got constant stock like in a normal shop, some weeks you get in ****e have to recycle most of the stuff that comes in. Window displays should be for the expensive items so they don't get robbed.

Sera wrote: »
    That's actually really common among charity shops, it happened me before with a Doraemon plush, come back in 4 weeks, I had gone back in about 6 weeks later and found it anyway.

:confused:

That's so nuts I think squirrels were involved.

I need a bit of help from the retro brain trust.

What is this cable used for? It plugs into the serial i/o port on the back of the Playstation 1 but it's actual purpose is a mystery to me.
    Maybe some sort of cable for a cheat device?

dsc1829b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Fun fact of the day:

Capcom and Bethesda outsource their tech-support to the same call-centre in Bangalore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Last night I discovered my laptop has 2 GPUs in it.

For the past year I've only been using the integrated intel video card.... I have the AMD HD6630m card running now... suddenly all the crap I had trouble running works!

Steve SI wrote: »

What is this cable used for? It plugs into the serial i/o port on the back of the Playstation 1 but it's actual purpose is a mystery to me.

dsc1829b.jpg

Which model of the PlayStation? The original grey one or the redesigned smaller white "PSone" that has the purpose built screen? And does it use the same port as the PS to PS link cable?

Which model of the PlayStation? The original grey one or the redesigned smaller white "PSone" that has the purpose built screen? And does it use the same port as the PS to PS link cable?

It's the original Playstation, not sure if the PSOne has the port.
    Plugs into the Serial I/O port like in the below image.
    MNesc1KgHDvlCF5K.medium

Our shop stopped doing it since we just replace the item from our "window selection" downstairs and am often asked when do the items on the window go on sale. Enable Ireland and LAW both do that afaik.

IMO it's ridiculous! you should be delighted someone wants to buy something especially during this economic climate, anytime I told someone come in tomorrow or next week they don't. Here's a good example, a woman wanted a TV that came into the shop, she put down a deposit of €25 and paid €25 the next week, it's been there for 2 months, fully paid for. You should only be worried about your window display if you got constant stock like in a normal shop, some weeks you get in ****e have to recycle most of the stuff that comes in. Window displays should be for the expensive items so they don't get robbed.

Which Charity shop do you work in?

I use to go into Charity shops hoping to find stuff, all I ever found was a first edition Terry Pratchett book, now I just keep all my monies for myself!*

*all for myself!

Hmm. There isn't a long list of stuff that use that port.

• Can't be the the KOEI print adapter, since that uses an non-detachable cable.
    • Isn't the most commonly used PS to PS cable, obviously.
    • Isn't for the PSY Q Dev cart. That uses the PS to PS cable.
    • Doesn't seem like it could be for a floppy drive because the only photos of em I can find have them connect to the Memory card slot.
    My guess is its for linking to a PC comms card. Bottom left here. Similar to a Saturn DataLink. The connection on the card does look a bit like what you have too, and the port used makes sense if the same port can output and receive game data between PSs.

Duke Nukem reads from 50 Shades of Grey:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I know it's been posted lots of times, but it's so funny!

Metal Gear theme ftw!

I have been a very quiet boy lately but I arrive back today with a Network+ POWER UP!

And now I'm free to enter warm lovely world of retro again!

I haz even made a [CAM] H33T AXXO L@@K L@@K!!! recording of a gameplay of a race in Driver Parallel Lines today.

Its good to be back!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have a cart that goes in the back on the PS1 called the emulator z. Supposedly it will run a variety of roms like master system roms and the like. I tested it and it's a load of rubbish. It also doesn't bypass copyright protection.

You can however explore the file system on the CD's and play videos from some games like FFVII.

So useless in other words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

DinoRex wrote: »
    Duke Nukem reads from 50 Shades of Grey:

Brilliant! :D

BTW this is my first time hearing about Wreck It Ralph, Looking forward to it!

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Which Charity shop do you work in?

I use to go into Charity shops hoping to find stuff, all I ever found was a first edition Terry Pratchett book, now I just keep all my monies for myself!*
    Cancer Society, sure I PM'd you about the Sega Gen inside there, can keep an eye out for some if you want, sure I saw one there a few weeks ago but was definitely bought
    The amount of Maeve Binchy we have is unreal

Cancer Society, sure I PM'd you about the Sega Gen inside there, can keep an eye out for some if you want, sure I saw one there a few weeks ago but was definitely bought
    The amount of Maeve Binchy we have is unreal

Oh yeah the sega, forgot that. If you wouldn't mind be great, any fantasy/sci-fi hardbacks really. Nothing based on tv series or games though, hate that crap.
    I actually think I got that pratchett book from there last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

dsc1829b.jpg
    It's unlikley but it's the same as an EGA connector...
    They may have intended on connecting a PS1 to an old monitor? (even old by those days standards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hello Kitty strikes again
    hellokittystreetfighter.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭RNB

Does anyone know what this is? I believe it's a Famicom NTSC-j title?

65962961.jpg

RNB wrote: »
    Does anyone know what this is? I believe it's a Famicom NTSC-j title?

65962961.jpg

ActRaiser on the SNES.

actraisersnes.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭RNB

ActRaiser on the SNES.

actraisersnes.jpg

Awesome. Thanks Steve :-)

ENHANCE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

A mate of mine is making this if you lot fancy helping out. :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/178064966/vampire-cities-an-rpg-in-the-real-world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

My 3rd-party Dreamcast memory-card just seized-up and deleted my entire catalogue of saved-games. Lovely stuff.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    My 3rd-party Dreamcast memory-card just seized-up and deleted my entire catalogue of saved-games. Lovely stuff.

You have my condolences.

Managed to give all 77 C64 games I got the other day a good clean this evening (cases and tapes). Some had a thin layer of what looked like mould on the cases but a quick wipe with some window cleaner/natural vinegar cleaner mix and then some Febreze sorted them out. The tapes themselves seemed clean and mould free but I cleaned them anyway.

Nothing makes it into my main collection until its been cleaned and decontaminated :)

dsc1831b.jpg

Now, the testing to see what works and what doesn't begins.
    Again, some great games in this batch and I hope the ones I really wanted are working. All the soccer games can burn in hell for all I care.
    "Thunder Blade" and "Parallax", you're up first.

The most exciting part of the Steam sale is wondering what those little guys are building up in their tree fort in the background.

• Advertisement

insertcoinclothing are making bag replicas of Dreamcasts and Mega Drives, they also have the coolest Jet Set Radio Beat tee and Gum tee, but they're so expensive! put 3 tees in the basket and with shipping was close to €100 ||(¬ n¬)

DinoRex wrote: »
    The most exciting part of the Steam sale is wondering what those little guys are building up in their tree fort in the background.

Actually going back and looking at the previous backgrounds it looks like that evil black cat has gotten into the Freindship Fort and is up to no good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

CKyRD.jpg

An Post, bunch of idiots!! :mad::mad:
    You arrange to be home to take delivery of 2 packages and pay the duty fee's and the show up with the smallest box and of course want full payment for both.
    Why are people so crap at their jobs?

On a brighter note, I have to have this :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement