Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girl got stuck with needle in limerick,is heroin a bigger problem now?

• 12-07-2012 5:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

A city councillor says an incident where a young girl got stuck with a used needle is further evidence of the prominence of heroin on our streets.
    Councillor Maurice Quinlivan's comments come as 9 year old Holly Sheehy's family await test results to see if she has caught any infection from the needle that stuck into her finger after she fell from her scooter in a laneway near her home in King's Island.
    It has been confirmed the needle was used to inject heroin.
    Councillor Quinlivan says there are other areas where discarded needles could pose a similar threat.
    Irene Sheehy says it could be six months before she knows if her daughter Holly has been infected by the dirty needle.
    In the meantime the 9 year old is on a cocktail of prescribed medication.

Is heroin in major cities now a bigger problem,do you notice it when you walk the streets?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Seeing as Limerick will be the City of Culture next 2014, this is not too good.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0710/1224319721480.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Heroin might be a problem.

One discarded needle doesn't equal an epidemic though.

Poor girl. She must be going through hell with Pep meds. Poor family. I can't imagine having something like a potential hiv diagnoses hanging over your little girl's head.

Wish her all the best and negative test results in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Biggins wrote: »
    Seeing as Limerick will be the City of Culture next year, this is not too good.

You're right. It would have been grand otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Is heroin in major cities now a bigger problem,do you notice it when you walk the streets?

Yesterday, I saw pigeons shooting up. I pray to Joeeeeeeee somebody does something to save us all, before the junked up Swazi house mafia come and eat us all in our beds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Yesterday, I saw pigeons shooting up. I pray to Joeeeeeeee somebody does something to save us all, before the junked up Swazi house mafia come and eat us all in our beds.

Hey im not saying ring joe about it or anything,but i think its a valid question,as anytime i walk the streets they are literally everywhere,on every street corner begging,ive seen a few aggressive ones but mainly they are tanked up on a cocktail of drink and stimulant drugs,if the gards dont move them on i believe things will only get worse.

In 2014 they will introduce consumption rooms,there will be public rooms made available where the druggies can shoot up in a safe and clean enviornment and dispose of their needles safely,i think that will make a huge difference..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

In 2014 they will introduce consumption rooms,there will be public rooms made available where the druggies can shoot up in a safe and clean enviornment and dispose of their needles safely,i think that will make a huge difference..

I heard that ten years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If only we had a Limerick forum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

It's a problem all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Probably a cannabis needle.
    Those things are deadly......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If only we had a Limerick forum...

how come when something happens in Dublin its ok to post it on AH then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Diapason wrote: »
    You're right. It would have been grand otherwise.

Keep it fresh Diapason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Sure, there are needles lying around other European cities too. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Is heroin in major cities now a bigger problem, do you notice it when you walk the streets?

To answer the question:
    Yes, its a problem everywhere, cities, towns and villages all over Ireland.
    I've seen it in all categories.

...And yes, if you look hard enough, you will sadly see it in the streets or evidence of it.

I think though it is more widespread,i remember even in the 90's as a young one,it wasnt half as bad as it is now,heroin seems to be catching every young generation and some late comers too..today when i was in town i just saw it literally on every street corner bar one or two..its really getting bad i think..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

But I thought drug prohibition was preventing things like this happening??

nope it seems to be doing very little so far,i think no real progress will be made until the drug users have somewhere to be other than hanging around hassling people,once they have consumption rooms they have somewhere to hang out,its a drug outreach programme thats going to start in '14

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smacman

Uriel. wrote: »
    Heroin might be a problem.

Poor girl. She must be going through hell with Pep meds. Poor family. I can't imagine having something like a potential hiv diagnoses hanging over your little girl's head.

Wish her all the best and negative test results in a few months

Hear hear - the poor family - I couldn't imagine how terrified they are...

there have been other incidents involving loose needles in public areas,it isnt the first the public have come into contact with hypodermic needles used for shooting up herion..Downplaying it doenst make the problem just magically dissapear,i think people have a right to discuss it,and ask is it a bigger problem - personally i think it is a bigger problem,i see junkies everywhere on my travels,a higher concentration in cities,people being hassled,so yes it is a problem..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

there have been other incidents involving loose needles in public areas,it isnt the first the public have come into contact with hypodermic needles used for shooting up herion..Downplaying it doenst make the problem just magically dissapear,i think people have a right to discuss it,and ask is it a bigger problem - personally i think it is a bigger problem,i see junkies everywhere on my travels,a higher concentration in cities,people being hassled,so yes it is a problem..

You see junkies under the bed, around ever corner and creeping about the attic, judging by the amount of threads and posts concerned with the crime/drug epidemic washing the streets of Dublin etc away.

There's been waves of drug use in Ireland over the years, just like emigration. It happens in the bad times and the good. Needle crime has been with us for at least 20 years, I certainly remember it from my 20s - people getting mugged and bus drivers being attacked.

The problem is, when you ask people to discuss things - they rightly point out you have form for scaremongering (and exaggeration and fabrication). You can't keep trotting out that the problem is being downplayed - it's not but it's not the Daily Mail/Evening Herald hysteria you espouse.

Just because its reported by those papers,doesnt make it sensationalistic,it is a fact it is reported,it happens,and you know what,if they are caught lying or even misrepresenting facts they could be sued..

• Advertisement

Just because its reported by those papers,doesnt make it sensationalistic,it is a fact it is reported,it happens,and you know what,if they are caught lying or even misrepresenting facts they could be sued..

You were caught lying elsewhere about Sharia Law in London. I know sensationalism and irresponsible scaremongering when I see it.

I used to work for a section of the media where we were actively encouraged to "big up" violent crime, needle muggings (and crimes committed by immigrants). It was despicable but fairly much the norm, I'm pretty sure any other folk here who work or have worked in the Dublin media all know how it used to go. Make it sexy and scary because that sells!

The fact is, you are obsessed with street crime and that's why you see it everywhere on your travels. I suggest you take a step back a bit and stop looking for all the negativity you can find, otherwise you'll be a very unhappy person indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

old hippy wrote: »
    You were caught lying elsewhere about Sharia Law in London. I know sensationalism and irresponsible scaremongering when I see it.

I used to work for a section of the media where we were actively encouraged to "big up" violent crime, needle muggings (and crimes committed by immigrants). It was despicable but fairly much the norm, I'm pretty sure any other folk here who work or have worked in the Dublin media all know how it used to go. Make it sexy and scary because that sells!

The fact is, you are obsessed with street crime and that's why you see it everywhere on your travels. I suggest you take a step back a bit and stop looking for all the negativity you can find, otherwise you'll be a very unhappy person indeed.

Yep, like the other day when the OP was posting that a person had died of stab wounds at the phoenix park concert last saturday evening.

You need to chill 2012, look for the nice things that you see every day, not the dull things :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

once they have consumption rooms they have somewhere to hang out

Yup, then we won't have to see them got addicted and kill themselves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

latest news is it was a knitting needle, some say she was seen turning green.

You were caught lying elsewhere about Sharia Law in London.

now youre saying im lying - whos using sensationalist lies and throwing around blatant outright lies and wild accusations now???

here are some links below about sharia law in the uk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16522447

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2019547/Anjem-Choudary-Islamic-extremists-set-Sharia-law-zones-UK-cities.html

www.islamic-sharia.org/
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3718799/London-suburb-put-under-Sharia-law.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8686504/Sharia-a-law-unto-itself.html

now ..lets get back on topic,if youre going to accuse me and insult me i would rather you didnt post on this thread as you have nothing positive to contribute..

now youre saying im lying - whos using sensationalist lies and throwing around blatant outright lies and wild accusations now???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2019547/Anjem-Choudary-Islamic-extremists-set-Sharia-law-zones-UK-cities.html

www.islamic-sharia.org/
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3718799/London-suburb-put-under-Sharia-law.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8686504/Sharia-a-law-unto-itself.html

now ..lets get back on topic,if youre going to accuse me and insult me i would rather you didnt post on this thread as you have nothing positive to contribute..

We were on topic, I simply pointed out your form for fabrication and exaggeration. On the other thread you claimed Sharia Law was in operation in London. This is a blatant lie. A bunch of extremists have put up posters saying silly things. Bit like people putting up murals on both "sides" in the 6 counties, claiming all sorts of things.

Perhaps, instead of calling for people not to post because they tackle you bizarre exaggerations and fabrications, you could dialogue instead of running away when caught out?

The drug problem, esp needles, has been with us for a long, long, time. It is not everywhere, as you claim. You swallow the hype and sensationalism and regurgitate it because you are frightened.This is not a wild accusation, this is from careful reading of your posts and sorting the nonsensical claims from the truth.

On the other thread you claimed Sharia Law was in operation in London. This is a blatant lie.

Re read what i just posted heres your answer to your accusation about me being a liar..I wont have you posting on this thread calling me a liar..Kindly cease your posting here its not welcome.Only facts and positive contributions to the topic of heroin are welcomed not your attacks on me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...UK-cities.html

www.islamic-sharia.org/
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...haria-law.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...to-itself.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Yes, obviously Limerick is now the heroin capital of the world.

This would never happen on O'Connell Street, Talbot Street, Marlborough Street or even Westmoreland Street in Dublin. :eek:

Re read what i just posted heres your answer to your accusation about me being a liar..I wont have you posting on this thread calling me a liar..Kindly cease your posting here its not welcome.Only facts and positive contributions to the topic of heroin are welcomed not your attacks on me.

As I said, I was pointing out that your posts are prone to exaggeration and fabrication, which is why I take your replies with a pinch of salt. It's very relevant in regards to your scaremongering on drug crime. Example being - certain things you attempt to post as fact or truth are made redundant somewhat when you are rumbled that your links are about a small group of extremists who want Sharia Law. This is very different to claiming that Sharia Law is legally operating in the British State.

I welcome postive contributions to the topic of heroin and crime levels in our cities. I've yet to read one from you but I'm not asking you to cease your posting.

And don't forget; it was yourself who brought up lying and misrepresentations - I was pointing out the irony of this.

• Advertisement

if you have nothing in the way of mature and constructive additions to discussions which respect the ethos and charter - please don't post on the thread i have added,all you have used this for thus far today is for attacks calling me a liar when those links i posted up prove otherwise..

if you have nothing in the way of mature and constructive additions to discussions which respect the ethos and charter - please don't post on the thread i have added,all you have used this for thus far today is for attacks calling me a liar when those links i posted up prove otherwise..

Er, the links disprove your claims that Sharia Law is operating legally in the UK. It is not.

Now stop embarrassing yourself, please and let's get back to the topic in hand. :(

And don't forget; it was yourself who brought up lying and misrepresentations - I was pointing out the irony of this.

you seem to have a problem with reading these linked i posted in retaliation to calling me a liar,which i am not.

im sick of having to discuss an unrelated topic to this thread.

www.islamic-sharia.org/

please re read what i have just said in relation to your attack on calling me an outright liar..

if you have nothing to add on this thread about the subject matter HEROIN then do not ................ do not reply!

end of discussion im done with you.

old hippy wrote: »
    Er, the links disprove your claims that Sharia Law is operating legally in the UK. It is not.

Now stop embarrassing yourself, please and let's get back to the topic in hand. :(

I never mentioned the LEGALITIES OF IT,i mentioned it was operating in the UK by a band of muslims..

Do you need to re read what i posted again or do you have some sort of problem?

you seem to have a problem with reading these linked i posted in retaliation to calling me a liar,which i am not.

im sick of having to discuss an unrelated topic to this thread.

please re read what i have just said in relation to your attack on calling me an outright liar..

if you have nothing to add on this thread about the subject matter HEROIN then do not ................ do not reply!

end of discussion im done with you.

Ahem. You brought up lying and misrepresentation. I pointed out the irony which seems to have put a spanner in the works. I'm more than willing to get back to the topic in hand. But you seem insistent on digging a deeper and deeper hole.

So, without further ado

"anytime i walk the streets they are literally everywhere,on every street corner"

Are they everywhere? Really? Are you sure that you are not unhealthily focussing on a sad situation that is beyond your control and it is clouding your vision?

Or do you just walk around in circles, plodding the same ground?

As I said, I was pointing out that your posts are prone to exaggeration and fabrication, which is why I take your replies with a pinch of salt.

Now you say the papers exaggerate,and then go on to call me a liar..You shouldnt bother embarassing yourself.

• Advertisement

Again i would like to add im not entertaining the sharia discussion - there is another thread for that,kindly make your way back there,if you have nothing postive to add other than going into a personal attack calling me a liar then dont bother..

I never mentioned the LEGALITIES OF IT,i mentioned it was operating in the UK by a band of muslims..

Do you need to re read what i posted again or do you have some sort of problem?

It is not operating in the UK. Full stop. A handful of extremists have done a sticker campaign (the horror, the horror!) and you claimed that there were now no alcohol and no gay zones in operation.

You were called out on it and changed the subject. At least have the good grace to admit you were wrong and stop projecting your fears and misunderstandings onto others.

All you have dont thus far is to use this thread to undermine every word i have said,i said it before and ill say it again im done with your silly lunatic argumentative rants..

It is not operating in the UK. Full stop. A handful of extremists have done a sticker campaign (the horror, the horror!) and you claimed that there were now no alcohol and no gay zones in operation.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IT DID OPERATE IN THE UK OR ARE YOU GOING TO DENY THAT TOO?

AS I SAID BEFORE - THERE IS ANOTHER THREAD TO DICUSS SHARIA!

Now you say the papers exaggerate,and then go on to call me a liar..You shouldnt bother embarassing yourself.

Hmmm. So you do just walk around in circles, plodding the same ground.

You said the papers would be sued if they exaggerated or misrepresented. I believe you swallow their sensationalism & I point out your habit for doing the same.

Let's try another avenue, shall we. Back to the topic!

• Advertisement

Lets try another avenue - get off the thread if you are going to insist on posting about sharia..

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IT DID OPERATE IN THE UK OR ARE YOU GOING TO DENY THAT TOO?

AS I SAID BEFORE - THERE IS ANOTHER THREAD TO DICUSS SHARIA!

It didn't and never has. You claimed it did and your links proved you were wrong. Back to the topic, please :D

Lets try another avenue - get off the thread if you are going to insist on posting about sharia..

I'm desparately trying to get back on topic, believe me.

it has operated in the uk - back to the discussion at hand and furthermore if you have nothing constructive to add cease your posting..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Just because you find a works doesn't equate it with heroin use. A fair mumber of young qirls use a type of horome than provkes a physicological reaction than results in a tan. Yeah you hear me a fcuking tan. And of course will have no choiveto be to give them out following an assesssment.

I have been in this game a long time, but that even made me do a double take. However, we also supply sharpes boxes and education on how to dispose if them. If you think that is bad, do you know we give out a special type of foil to smoke gear on and will be giving out crack pipes soon.

OT I know, but not every works found revolves around heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

if you have nothing in the way of mature and constructive additions to discussions which respect the ethos and charter - please don't post on the thread
    ,if you have nothing postive to add other than going into a personal attack calling me a liar then dont bother..
    it has operated in the uk - back to the discussion at hand and furthermore if you have nothing constructive to add cease your posting..

Its not your business telling people to stop posting here.

Banned

Now back on topic.

It hasn't. And if the moderator feels my posts are not constructive (insofar as hilighting hysteria and exaggerations) then he or she can say so & I shall take note.

Now, I'll post this again

You claimed

"anytime i walk the streets they are literally everywhere,on every street corner"

Are they everywhere? Really? Are you sure that you are not unhealthily focussing on a sad situation that is beyond your control and it is clouding your vision?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

You, you never addressed my point about your posts about the apparent death by stabbing that you say happened at the gig in the phoenix park saturday last, when you said that a second person was very ill and was, as you said: "next"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Odysseus wrote: »
    Just because you find a works doesn't equate it with heroin use. A fair mumber of young qirls use a type of horome than provkes a physicological reaction than results in a tan. Yeah you hear me a fcuking tan. .........

when the Aliens make contact, I'm jumping on their ship and asking for asylum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

a hazel nut in every bite thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement