Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Court Hotel - Job Bridge Job

• 12-07-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Tullamore Court hotel are looking for the following according to the fas website

The intern will gain practical experience in general office admin duties, filing, word, excel and PowerPoint, Supporting managers - looking after their emails/calls, Booking meeting rooms for management meetings. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: on the job training and you will be working alongside managers in this busy four star hotel. On completion the intern will have attained skills in time management, general office duties and working in busy environment where the job roll can be quite diverse.

For this you will get €50 a week. The Tullamore Court can afford to pay some one for this job - They will charge you €200 to rent a room for a meeting from them
    Please email annemc@tullamorecourthotel.ie and tell them to pay there staff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

Why not complain to department for social affairs who set up the scheme? So do you plan to single out every business that avails of the scheme or just this one because you have some gripe with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

If someone can get the experience and prove themselves to the hotel then that person may get a full time job there.

I am sure the experience they will get will go a long way and may be the start that someone is looking for.

I am sure many have applied in the hope of getting this position,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I personally think it's a good idea. We have such a high rate of unemployment at the minute. It will give someone a chance to earn some extra money and increase their employability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

Steven81 wrote: »
    If someone can get the experience and prove themselves to the hotel then that person may get a full time job there.

I am sure the experience they will get will go a long way and may be the start that someone is looking for.

I am sure many have applied in the hope of getting this position,

They won't be given a full time job. Once they're finished they will give the 50 quid to some other poor sod for the next 6 months. That's the way it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

They won't be given a full time job. Once they're finished they will give the 50 quid to some other poor sod for the next 6 months. That's the way it works.

Wrong, read the guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

okiss wrote: »
    Tullamore Court hotel are looking for the following according to the fas website

The intern will gain practical experience in general office admin duties, filing, word, excel and PowerPoint, Supporting managers - looking after their emails/calls, Booking meeting rooms for management meetings. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: on the job training and you will be working alongside managers in this busy four star hotel. On completion the intern will have attained skills in time management, general office duties and working in busy environment where the job roll can be quite diverse.

For this you will get €50 a week. The Tullamore Court can afford to pay some one for this job - They will charge you €200 to rent a room for a meeting from them
    Please email annemc@tullamorecourthotel.ie and tell them to pay there staff

Absolute disgrace and i doubt very much this hotel is so busy its managers can check their emails.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

okiss wrote: »
    For this you will get €50 a week. The Tullamore Court can afford to pay some one for this job -

I think you might be wrong here, I think you get more than €50 a week on JobBridge.

Wrong you cant give the same job to another.
    Dempo1 wrote: »
    Absolute disgrace and i doubt very much this hotel is so busy its managers can check their emails.

It is very obvious from this statement you have never worked in hotel management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

bigjohn66 wrote: »
    I think you might be wrong here, I think you get more than €50 a week on JobBridge.

Nope, it is an extra 50 euro. I still think it's a good idea, the person is getting great experience and it's something to put on their CV, if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Dathi Horizon

Increasing employability even tho there aint no jobs in the first place? this scheme has been abused left right and center for cheap labour. Tho if you work hard and put in the effort with the court hotel, i cant see them not giving the intern a job after. You have to think of it like a trial.

It is very obvious from this statement you have never worked in hotel management.

It is in fact my 27 years working in Hotels and senior management that led to my precise comment. The Hotel industry is in the toilet at the moment, indeed the word hospitality rarely comes into the equation. There are a number of reasons for this, the recession, over development, to many hotels etc but sadly with the onset of numerous hotels now in receivership and with only one focus (reducing debt), service and standards are the least priority of these so called management companies now running hotels. Case in point and not to far away from Tullamore, Portlaoise now has three hotels being run by one management company, where do you think competition is here or perhaps the slightest interest in standards.

As for this offensive Jobs Bridge nonsense, its an absolute disgrace. It offers lucky applicants the offer of training, experience Blaa, Blaa, Blaa for an additional 50 euro a week. Given not a single hotel in Ireland and I might add the very hotel advertising this position has either let staff go, reduced wages or reduced hours, I wondered why not either re employ someone who was let go or perhaps offer additional hours to those employee's who lost hours.

Finally, I can tell you i did not have the luxury of having some answer my phone or respond to emails and I can tell you this Hotel can hardly claim to be the busiest Hotel in the midland and I can say without fear of contradiction the poor successful applicant will find themselves waiting tables, working in bars and expected to do UN social hours all for the princely sum of 50 euro a week, god help them if they have transportation costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't be naive. You don't think they will just change the job title, give it a slightly different job description and re-advertise it?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

I stayed in this hotel a year or two back and to say the least I drink heineken all the time and ordered a couple of pints in the hotel bar. The glasses are not branded and the beer tastes watered down, dreadful place, wouldnt go there again. I could imagine how hotels might try to save money.

This scheme sounds like another way of doing just that.

LizT wrote: »
    Nope, it is an extra 50 euro. I still think it's a good idea, the person is getting great experience and it's something to put on their CV, if nothing else.

So than I am right. The OP said “For this you will get €50 a week.”. It is not for €50 a week, it is €50 above what you are already getting for sitting at home doing nothing, which could give you more take home than someone full time employed after charges. I am sick of people wanting handouts for doing nothing. I would make people work in some shape or form for their dole.

Don't be naive. You don't think they will just change the job title, give it a slightly different job description and re-advertise it?

I am being naïve at all as I have experience of what happens. The company I work for have used JobBridge to get a new member of staff as in the beginning we could not afford to pay a fulltime wage. Now that person has a full time job paying them a wage and taking another person off the dole.

From experience JobBridge have strict rules and they are enforced.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It is in fact my 27 years working in Hotels and senior management that led to my precise comment. The Hotel industry is in the toilet at the moment, indeed the word hospitality rarely comes into the equation. There are a number of reasons for this, the recession, over development, to many hotels etc but sadly with the onset of numerous hotels now in receivership and with only one focus (reducing debt), service and standards are the least priority of these so called management companies now running hotels. Case in point and not to far away from Tullamore, Portlaoise now has three hotels being run by one management company, where do you think competition is here or perhaps the slightest interest in standards.

As for this offensive Jobs Bridge nonsense, its an absolute disgrace. It offers lucky applicants the offer of training, experience Blaa, Blaa, Blaa for an additional 50 euro a week. Given not a single hotel in Ireland and I might add the very hotel advertising this position has either let staff go, reduced wages or reduced hours, I wondered why not either re employ someone who was let go or perhaps offer additional hours to those employee's who lost hours.

Finally, I can tell you i did not have the luxury of having some answer my phone or respond to emails and I can tell you this Hotel can hardly claim to be the busiest Hotel in the midland and I can say without fear of contradiction the poor successful applicant will find themselves waiting tables, working in bars and expected to do UN social hours all for the princely sum of 50 euro a week, god help them if they have transportation costs.

I am not going to get into a slagging match with you on this matter except to say your idea of the hotel industry and mine are different, unless of course you have a personal grudge against this hotel. I started as a 16 year old on the floor collection glass’s, studying, working my way up and going from a 2 star hotel to being general manager of a top 5 star hotel.

I know the industry as well or better than most and if people even in these times are willing to work hard it can be a very rewarding business. Would it not be better to encourage people to get off their ass, not be a burden to the state rather than run down an opportunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

I am not going to get into a slagging match with you on this matter except to say your idea of the hotel industry and mine are different, unless of course you have a personal grudge against this hotel. I started as a 16 year old on the floor collection glass’s, studying, working my way up and going from a 2 star hotel to being general manager of a top 5 star hotel.

I know the industry as well or better than most and if people even in these times are willing to work hard it can be a very rewarding business. Would it not be better to encourage people to get off their ass, not be a burden to the state rather than run down an opportunity?

My problem with these job bridge schemes is that it is totally rules out a person from changing jobs!
    What about the person that has been working in another job and wants to seek a change? They are been discriminated against as every job now seems to want people on these internship schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

Im just finishing a 6 month jobbridge placement. Ive a business degree and struggled to find work when i moved home from Scotland. I decided to try something different to what i was doing and used the jobbridge to get into a job. Ive been offered full time work and they are paying for QFA exams for me. Well worth doing!:D

I certainly do not have any grudge against this Hotel which I happen to think was a fine Hotel in it's hay day, indeed I was offered and declined a senior position at this hotel 8 years ago, I will say however it's standards have dropped somewhat over the years.

Like yourself i started at the very bottom, washing Pots and recall fondly my first ever weekly wage at 47 punts for an average 60 hour week in Dublin.

My specific problem with this particular Jobs advert is knowing as I do that this Hotel like many others has reduced staff, reduced hours and reduced pay (10% was agreed across the board with staff two years ago), I asked the reasonable question, why is this hotel not offering additional hours to existing staff. Knowing the industry as I do, i also wondered about the practicalities of the Job being offered, on the surface it would appear they are looking for an admin assistant for its management team and yet we know full well most managers do not have or could afford such luxuries in the current climate. And finally, i do believe this Jobs Bridge initiative is blatant exploitation and in the main offering applications no realistic long term prospects. If the role was more specific, aimed at an apprenticeship, a career perhaps I would not be so cynical but sadly there are many Bars, Restaurants and now hotels looking to this Jobsbridge carry on to avail of cheap labor. As an aside, I wondered if the lucky applicants not living near specific placements are to get to these placements, 50 euro a week would barely cover the transportation costs to complete these placements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

In 2007, bar staff had to come in for a few days free of charge to learn the Tullamore Court systems even though the guy I knew had worked in top tourist bars in Paris and was as expert as could be.

Yet he had to train for free? Gimme a break. Like most hotels, the Tullamore Court was pennypinching in the good times too and used to let table staff off home midway through the day if it slacked off (like the life of a merchandiser). And expect them back later. For scraps of hours. Meanwhile charging through the nose.

Oh and yes, I should qualify my statements. I worked in the hospitality industry too. In destination spas and in upmarket wedding hotels. As a sales and marketing manager. And I DETEST the mockery that is JObsbridge.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    In 2007, bar staff had to come in for a few days free of charge to learn the Tullamore Court systems even though the guy I knew had worked in top tourist bars in Paris and was as expert as could be.

Yet he had to train for free? Gimme a break. Like most hotels, the Tullamore Court was pennypinching in the good times too and used to let table staff off home midway through the day if it slacked off (like the life of a merchandiser). And expect them back later. For scraps of hours. Meanwhile charging through the nose.

Oh and yes, I should qualify my statements. I worked in the hospitality industry too. In destination spas and in upmarket wedding hotels. As a sales and marketing manager. And I DETEST the mockery that is JObsbridge.

Well said and Mockery best describes this Jobsbridge Nonsense. A better approach for a back to work scheme is a guaranteed placement time and a realistic allowance so as to enable people to actually take up these positions, the roles should also be apprentice based rather than the incoherent positions being offered which only further increases the likelihood of exploitation. I recall recently a well known and not particularly well regarded establishment in Birr actually advertised for a Bar Manager, yes Manager on a Jobsbridge position, the lucky candidate would be mentored, work an average of 50 hours a week and gain valuable experience in the position. So basically they were looking for a Manager with obvious experience for 50 euro a week. Not withstanding the fact this advert was in breach of employment law and the maximum 48 hour week, for good measure those wonderful people at FAS permitted it to be posted on its website. Go figure!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement