Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bugs,worms or beetles have you eaten?

Options
  • 12-07-2012 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

When i was in Thailand i eat fried grasshoppers and Beetles from a road side stall.
    The grasshoppers were fine but the beetles were horrible,especially chewing on the hard outer shells.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Are you not supposed to peel off the outer shell of the beetles?

I've never intentionally eaten a critter, though I would if I were hungry with no obvious food on the horizon and no question about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I know a fella that is a firm believer in the natural justice school of bushcraft. He carries around a glass mason jar filled one third of the way with water, and anything that bites him goes straight into it, along with anything unfortunate enough to be within arms reach.

At the end of the day, the contents are boiled up and consumed, with whatever veg is laying about, and a stock cube if he thought to bring one along. Its not exactly haute cuisine but I guess protein is protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

there was an elderly woman living near me who was a vegetarian, but accidentally ate some fruit infected with drosophila, often called fruit flies, I think it must have been pretty rotten cause it also contained some sort of arachnid, though I heard that it wasn't quite dead when she ate it and it gave her a sort of tummy ache.

She contacted the poisons unit but they weren't much help.

After that she gave up being a vegetarian, and ate several species of animal, but the last i heard of her she had moved to holland and opened a fast food burger joint. I know in holland they eat quite a lot of horse meat, so I suppose she does too.

Not sure if shes still alive.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I dunno why, she'd swallow that fly....

...Happy Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Yes Khannie i learned since that first time you pull the head off and the wings and throw away and eat the rest.
    Some like the crunchy wings.
    The beetle i eat was darn big approx 3.5 inches with large pinchers.
    A horrible looking thing.
    There was a group of Thai waiting at a bus stop near the stall i buy it and they bust their asses laughing at my facial expressions as i eat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Deerhound

I have eaten tarantula and scorpion while I was abroad, they wouldn’t be top of my favourite menu but I have eaten worse.
    While in the wilds I have eaten grubs, ants, grasshoppers, crickets, cicadas and worms. If you are going to eat ants cook them first. Bugs are high in fats, proteins, and carbohydrates.
    I use worms quite a bit in outdoor cooking when I go out by myself or with my son for a few days or longer. When I collect the worms I clean them off well and put them into a clean tub or ziploc bag and starve them for 24 hours to clean them out inside. If it is sunny I will sundry them on a rock or if it is wet or overcast I will dry them out by the fire in leaves or tinfoil. When they are dried out I grind them into a powder and store them in a film canister until I add it to soup or stews while they are cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Welcome to the forum DH, great first post too! I've heard of worm powder alright, never tried it though. What do they taste like?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Deerhound

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum DH, great first post too! I've heard of worm powder alright, never tried it though. What do they taste like?

Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading the threads for a while now so I felt it was only right to contribute something back.

As for the worms, it rather depends on what type of soil you get them from, some can be bitter but I bring a small tub of curry powder with me for those times that what I catch/scrounge have a less then desired taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Deerhound wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading the threads for a while now so I felt it was only right to contribute something back.

As for the worms, it rather depends on what type of soil you get them from, some can be bitter but I bring a small tub of curry powder with me for those times that what I catch/scrounge have a less then desired taste.

Welcome, thanks for the input:)

Can I say 'Yeuch!'. This is why I like to have a stockpile of oats, flour, beans and so on.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

‘Bug Mac’ and larva quiche food of the future?

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 Irish Examiner
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/kfeymhkfaucw/rss2/

Time to set up a grasshopper farm?:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement