Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruitflies that can count?!

Options
  • 12-07-2012 6:10pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

A team of geneticists have bred fruitflies that can count apparently:
    team of geneticists has announced that they have successfully bred fruit flies with the capacity to count.

After repeatedly subjecting fruit flies to a stimulus designed to teach numerical skills, the evolutionary geneticists finally hit on a generation of flies that could count -- it took 40 tries before the species' evolution occurred. The findings, announced at the First Joint Congress on Evolutionary Biology in Canada, could lead to a better understanding of how we process numbers and the genetics behind dyscalculia -- a learning disability that affects a person's ability to count and do basic arithmetic.

The humble fruit fly -- which has been a popular experimental tool for geneticists since the early 1900s, its brief life span making it evolve faster -- is the first example of a test subject gaining the skills through evolution

Source: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/11/fruit-flies-can-count

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Thats actually amazing. If I didnt get the wrong idea from the article it shows intelligence improving based on artficial selection.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Thats actually amazing. If I didnt get the wrong idea from the article it shows intelligence improving based on artficial selection.

Yeah, thats what I took from it too. Pretty astounding in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah, thats what I took from it too. Pretty astounding in fairness.

Like the lab chimps in Rise of the Planet of the Apes? :O

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Like the lab chimps in Rise of the Planet of the Apes? :O

I for one welcome our new insect overlords :P

Advertisement