Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - My Garden is a Mess

Options
  • 12-07-2012 6:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all, at the moment I am looking at my back garden? The grass is three feet high and I cant cut it with a mower because it is full of holes and bumps and hollows. Ideally, I would like to turn all the sod in the garden and put down new grass seed. Can anyone give me a step by step process as to how to get a new flat lawn that i could cut with a mower when needed? What machinery would i need to turn the sod etc. Any help would be great. Thanks a million..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

how big is your garden? first thing to do is get a petrol brush cutter or strimmer. and cut the grass down to the point were a lawn mower will pass over without clogging up and cutting out. then..you could either manually dig/turn the soil with a garden fork,or hire a rotovator to break up the soil nicely..or you could cover the soil with black plastic/weed membrane,blocking all light. this will kill all grass/weeds etc. and then you can roll the garden nice a flat..before sowing seed.

http://www.azhire.ie/equipment.hire.products.dublin.ireland.php?sectionnumber=113&number=326

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi all, at the moment I am looking at my back garden? The grass is three feet high and I cant cut it with a mower because it is full of holes and bumps and hollows. Ideally, I would like to turn all the sod in the garden and put down new grass seed. Can anyone give me a step by step process as to how to get a new flat lawn that i could cut with a mower when needed? What machinery would i need to turn the sod etc. Any help would be great. Thanks a million..

Brush cutter/strimmer and one of these........a petrol powered turf cutter machine.Costs around 40 euro a day to hire one out from a plant hire shop.A fantastic machine.

It basicly cuts the grass sod clean away from the soil.

Then you can roll it up and skip it or recycle it.:)

Hire out a rotivator/tiller an rotivate/till the existing soil.

Remove any large chunks of stone too.

Then get some topsoil and grit,shovel it in and use a leveling rake to create a new level area of soil,ready for grass seed or turf roll.

Best Regards.:)

Advertisement