Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaming surrond sound 5:1

Options
  • 12-07-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Lads just got a new gaff and its perfect to set up a nice surround sound system..

any suggestions on something half decent(mainly gaming and a bit of music for after the pub)

I have a budget of around 200 snots.. give or take a small bit..

Cheers
    Dwighet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Have you got a sound card or anything like that already?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

occasionally you can pick up some logitech z5500's at that price if you look around.

^ And if you can get them, they're probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Serephucus wrote: »
    ^ And if you can get them, they're probably your best bet.
    have you compared them to your z906’s?

I haven't actually (though I'd like to) but from what I've read on the internet, they're fairly similar, with the Z-5500s edging out in certain scenarios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

I have been using creative t6060 speakers for years, great sound and reliable unlike the logitech 5.1's they replaced that failed within one year of purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Have you got a sound card or anything like that already?

No mate I dont..
    This is the mobo Im using.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MadHarlequin

I have a set of z5500 speakers and I love them. Got them a few years ago to use with my xbox and I would definitely recommend them.

I have a set of z5500 speakers and I love them. Got them a few years ago to use with my xbox and I would definitely recommend them.

I will definatly consider them....Bit pricey but I guess you get what ya pay for. Just going to have to dig a bit deeper into the old wallet:(

Well I got mine on overclockers when they were doing a crazy cheap deal on them. You could also have a look at the z906 Im pretty sure thats what logitech replaced the z5500 with.

Theres a bloke on gumtree selling a z5500 second hand that might be worth a look at

• Advertisement

Well I got mine on overclockers when they were doing a crazy cheap deal on them. You could also have a look at the z906 Im pretty sure thats what logitech replaced the z5500 with.

Theres a bloke on gumtree selling a z5500 second hand that might be worth a look at

I was just on the logitech site and couldnt find the z5500 so was guessing it was superseeded by the z906..

would you recommend a sound card to compliment it or would the audio from my mother board do the job

Well Im no expert but Im currently planning to build a gaming PC and had a look into whether sound cards are worth bothering with and the general consensus seems to be not really.

Unless you have the money to spend on a top shelf sound card its probably not worth it. Given your budget I would say your better off spending the money on a good speaker setup rather than a cheap sound card and some decent speakers.

Ok so the budget is going to be blown away but f*&k it...
    Here is what im thinking.
    sound card
    speakers

What do ye think...Is it over kill or would they compliment each over well?

I'd look at the Auzentech X-Fi Forte as well. It's the card I have, and has a very similar feature set to the Creative, but is €50 cheaper in most places.

I'd look at the Auzentech X-Fi Forte as well. It's the card I have, and has a very similar feature set to the Creative, but is €50 cheaper in most places.

Were did you get it from?

Amazon, though they don't appear to sell it any more. AFAIK, it's EOL, so maybe Adverts or eBay would be your best bet.

Apparently there is very little difference between the fatal1ty recon3d and the cheaper models. See http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/pcw/docs/475/452/25.jpg for a comparison of the features between the two along with the older x-fi series.

Ive also heard good things about the asus xonar cards. Its hard to compare sound cards though since audio is so subjective, how good they are isnt just based on what features they have.

On the speakers Id say go for it. Ive seen comparisons with the z5500 claiming the bass isnt as good on the z906 but personally I found the bass to be over the top on the z5500. First thing I did when I hooked them up was turn down the sub. If you are buying them though dont get them off dabs hardwareversand has them for nearly 140 euro cheaper.

Apparently there is very little difference between the fatal1ty recon3d and the cheaper models. See http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/pcw/docs/475/452/25.jpg for a comparison of the features between the two along with the older x-fi series.

Ive also heard good things about the asus xonar cards. Its hard to compare sound cards though since audio is so subjective, how good they are isnt just based on what features they have.

On the speakers Id say go for it. Ive seen comparisons with the z5500 claiming the bass isnt as good on the z906 but personally I found the bass to be over the top on the z5500. First thing I did when I hooked them up was turn down the sub. If you are buying them though dont get them off dabs hardwareversand has them for nearly 140 euro cheaper.

I cant find the speakers at all on HWVS:confused::confused:

See here, its not in stock at the moment though.

See here, its not in stock at the moment though.

thats a good price. Will keep my eye on that as i wont be buying until late in the month... Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement