Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tayto recipe

Options
  • 12-07-2012 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

I was going to try to make home made tayto, has anyone tried to make them and is it hard? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tayto brand in particular? or are you saying it like "hoover" and just mean crisps.

I made crisps years ago, just kept peeling a potato, rinsed all the starch off and deep fried them. Some stuck together on me and not cooking right, so I was having to separate them. It was a fair bit of work for what you get. I would sooner spend my time making perfect double or triple cook chips.

If you had a mandolin it could speed things up and make a more substantial thick cut crisp.

Theres lots of hits on google, might be better searching "potato chips" to get US hits for crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I had homemade chips before, somebody else made them, just not the same as a bag at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

rubadub wrote: »
    Tayto brand in particular? or are you saying it like "hoover" and just mean crisps.

I made crisps years ago, just kept peeling a potato, rinsed all the starch off and deep fried them. Some stuck together on me and not cooking right, so I was having to separate them. It was a fair bit of work for what you get. I would sooner spend my time making perfect double or triple cook chips.

If you had a mandolin it could speed things up and make a more substantial thick cut crisp.

Theres lots of hits on google, might be better searching "potato chips" to get US hits for crisps.

Sorry about that, yes I meant crisps instead of tayto, I might try giving that a go, the hard part would be slicing without a medalion and stopping them sticking together. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ElizabethDante

I have tried making them before too. I just thinly sliced potatoes and fried them in the fryer, although I'm sure you could also do them in a frying pan in shallow oil.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

For flavouring I used stuff called chip mate, which was a salt & vinegar flavoured powder I had. Vinegar will just wet them, you want citric acid instead is used in commercial crisps and can be got in asian supermarkets. But you can try any old dry spices, like steak seasoning, paprika, or salt & pepper of course. Lovely while still hot

I imagine if you dried them off they would not stick nearly as much, its just a bit of work for what you get.

I wonder if you could make some sort of snacks more efficiently. Like having mashed potato in a icing piping bag and squeezing a thin stream of it into the frier.

You can get prawn & garlic crackers in asian shops if thats of any interest. They are tiny discs which explode in volume, the are lovely while hot. I never see the garlic ones in takeaways for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/gadgets/micro-chip-crispr/invt/051057/

I was going to buy the above in homestores today but went to tesco instead and bought a massive family pack of tayto. Too much like hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

As best I remember used a potato peeler to get the very thin kind laid them out on paper toweling and dropped them one by one into the hot oil. I don't know what I used for seasoning besides a little cayenne and salt. They were tasty but really just a sort of fun thing to try at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

To stop them from sticking you have to wash, wash and wash again. The idea is to have no starch on the potatoes. The water should be completely clear, no cloudiness, then pat them dry and only add a small amount at the time to avoid sticking and make sure the oil is hot. As said above use dry spices to season them, dont want them soggy. I usually use salt and Mexican seasoning or chilli powder. Enjoy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I've made homemade crisps loads of times over the years. There is no commercial crisp that beats them.:p

23t4nk2.jpg

2a7h9gn.jpg

The ones in the pictures are quite thick as I sliced them with the food processor. Normally I use the mandoline, they are then perfect.

Wash, wash, dry, dry and fry in hot oil. Take 'em out before they become too dark (like pictures :o). They will take on more colour and crisp up nicely while draining on kitchen paper. I simply add sea salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

**** me, the look savage, I will have to give it a go, thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

You need to slice very thin, soak and wash and dry. Do not cook too many at once. You need a pretty big frier to do even one potato at once properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

No mention of the essential ingredient, spuds! The varieties used for crisps such as Tayto are grown specifically for crisp making, they have a high dry matter and give good fry colour. The odd time crisp making varieties such as "Saturna" pop up in shops in the cheap potato packs but if you were to steam boil them like regular potatoes they be still hard as rocks so frowned upon by the Dept of Agriculture. Lady Rosetta is another potato crisp that you sometimes see in the value potato packs.

http://varieties.potato.org.uk/display_description.php?variety_name=Saturna
    http://varieties.potato.org.uk/display_description.php?variety_name=Lady%20Rosetta

Think I used Idaho (brown) potatoes, the sweet red ones are too starchy for crisp chips. I wonder how a Yukon gold would work? still probably too much starchiness but that lovely buttery flavor of a Yukon Gold has me now wondering? I get so hungry when I come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

I made crisps the other day actually when I had leftovers slices from a gratin (I used a mandolin to thinly slice). I just put them into a hot oiled oven tray sprinkled some salt on them and put them into the oven at 180 for about 15mins. Delicious! I've tried it a few times now - first on baking paper but the potato stuck to it. The oven tray worked quite well but the crisps were a little oily (I probably should have patted them dry with kitchen roll or something - but they were just so delicious to eat hot!)

If you do them in oven do you think you could use one of the nonstick cooking sprays maybe an olive oil one ? Did you turn them or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

I'd say that a spray would work really well. And no I didnt turn mine... but more because I forgot all about them rather than anything else!

Advertisement