Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German/Irish plugs?

Options
  • 12-07-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

How does replacing the plugs in power supplys work? Is it like a laptop where the socket end comes right off?

The only plug I have atm is from my laptop which is in a circular-triangle shape that goes into the brick. Will I be able to use this?

(This is the power supply I'm getting: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/500+-+600+Watts/30069/Super-Flower+Amazon+80Plus+550W.article)

If I need a different/special kind of plug what do I need to ask for in a shop like Peats?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

yes you should be able too... they are universal as far as i know...i'm using an old kettle lead for my old laptop charger at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Probably best place to get a cable if you don't have one.
    http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/Power_Cable_with_3_pin_UK_plug_180cm/index.html
    MemoryC have free shipping so great for small purchases like this.

I don't think you will be able to use your old laptop cable based on how you described it, if you look at the cable in the link above you can see the type of connection the power supply has. It's a squarish triangle shape (descriptions don't come vaguer than that :)). As U_Fig said though, if you have any old cables from a kettle or old PC it's probably the cable you will need and any of them will work fine, you don't need anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Places like Power City/DID and DIY stores like Woodies will carry standard IEC "kettle" leads too if you have one nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Check the info plate on the power supply to make sure it can take 240V. Most can.

If you replace the the kettle lead from somewhere like Woodies make sure it doesn't have a 13 amp fuse in it. If it does replace it with a lower amp fuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I got a power supply this week from hardwareversand and it came with a german plug, however to make matter worse it is faulty as it has alot of vibration and noise so I will have to send it back for a replacement or refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I'm getting worried with all the reports of faulty goods from hwvs lately.
    I guess theres a very high possibility of some of my parts being duds... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I'm getting worried with all the reports of faulty goods from hwvs lately.
    I guess theres a very high possibility of some of my parts being duds... :(

Haha ye same. We'll see next week I guess.

Advertisement