Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Package or Sky

Options
  • 12-07-2012 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

What do people here recommend, I know you cant get broadband with sky but could I get that separate from another provider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mr j tayto

I got UPC package including tv(no sports or films),phone and broadband in last sept and apart from one minor problem with a box it's been ok for me. I did see recently that they are increasing their prices, so I might rethink things come next sept if they start uping the ante too much.Reason i chose upc was because i signed for sky but they never showed up on the arranged install day which cost me a days pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I have sky with a couple of extra channels, its 45a month and we have separate broadband that costs another 40 so thats 85quid a month for something that UPC will give you for less......so im led to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

We have Sky for TV & UPC for Broadband.

The UPC Broadband is great, lightning quick. We've had both Eircom & Vodafone broadband is the past but they are just useless in comparison

My folks have the UPC TV package which unfortunately is complete muck compared to Sky.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Prefer Sky myself, but its probably as handy getting it all at once from UPC. After all these years, I hoped that UPC would put better software on their boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

S28382 wrote: »
    I have sky with a couple of extra channels, its 45a month and we have separate broadband that costs another 40 so thats 85quid a month for something that UPC will give you for less......so im led to believe

Do you have sky sports for taht price? I would like to go with sky and can some recommend an internet provider other than upc

• Advertisement

Do you have sky sports for taht price? I would like to go with sky and can some recommend an internet provider other than upc

Yeah iv sky sports news and sky sports 1, sky are clever ****ers they put sky sports 1 for a cheaper price and then they put a good few of the premier league games on sky sports 2....and im not allowed get that cause my missus says so :pac: so in a way they are robbing people with that price its really annoying as where im living i cant UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Used have UPC Broadband and Sky Tv. Recently got half price for the year for Sky in the letterbox. Look over in the Bargain Alerts section for Half Price Sky Info and then get UPC Broadband. Upc TV was dirt so we cancelled it and got Sky instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ellie1984

I had Sky for a while, then the reception started giving problems so I rang them and was trying to get someone to have a look at the box/dish. They quoted me 70 euro, so the boyfriend did a bit of diy on the dish and we got it back but still left me a bit disappointed with the sky service. I have UPC for a while now, the only issue I had was that they left me hanging for 2 days before I could get a technician to get the signal into the house. The bb is great (i used to have o2) and i just got an upgrade to 30mb. From what I know also they are bringing on demand and 50/100mb in waterford within the next 3/4 weeks so happy days:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Go with UPC - TV,Phone and BB for €66 or €71 per month.
    On Demand TV coming to Waterford around August :)
    Oh and the bonus - sign up for all 3 in either Carphone Warehouse, DID or PC World and get a voucher for €250 from that store or through Boards and get 4 months half price and a €50 voucher for either DID or Carphone Warehouse :)

Good Deal :)

Elbows22 wrote: »
    Oh and the bonus - sign up for all 3 in either Carphone Warehouse, DID or PC World and get a voucher for €250 from that store or through Boards and get 4 months half price and a €50 voucher for either DID or Carphone Warehouse :)

whats on demand tv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Elbows22 wrote: »

whats on demand tv

Basically you will have hundreds of boxsets of different shows to watch at your leisure free as part of your package, Rte Player, Tv3 player and also the day a movie is released on DVD you can rent it out through your Upc box... There is a video on the Upc website i think that will show everything about it.
    I found with Sky they are very demanding when it comes to bills. I paid one month with my laser, 6 months later my bill was 2 days overdue and they took the funds through re-using my laser details even though they should have deleted them from system. In fairness sky do have a lot more channels and sky sports HD but majority of the extra channels are junk except for extra music channels.
    Broadband with upc is something else though- apart from the outage 2 weeks ago i have never had a problem in 5 years. 500gb usage allowance is deadly for the online gaming. Vodaphone would be next best but still miles off imo.
    At the end of the day straight up i would never go back to sky- only thing appealing is Sky Sports hd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

Sky for television and UPC for broadband. UPC tv is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Sky for television and UPC for broadband. UPC tv is rubbish.

This ^^.

UPC Broadband is top notch
    UPC TV is pure ****e (No Sky sports HD, No BBC red button,)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Yep, I've got Sky for TV and UPC for Broadband. The UPC bundles are handy, i.e. tv, phone + broadband, but the TV service is ****, less channels than Sky, the menu is impossible to use and loss of signal happened way too regularly for my liking.

I was paying €92 per month (UPC TV + Broadband incl. Sky Sports)

so what I did was dropped the UPC TV and Sky Sports and just kept the Broadband so now my bills look like this:

UPC Broadband 30meg: €43(ish) per month (Can't remember)
    +
    Sky+ TV: €32(ish) per month

I'm only marginally saving compared to my old bills and have lost Sky Sports but the kids are delighted with all the channels that Sky has and it's Sky+ so I can record etc with ease of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I was with UPC (TV), they were a nightmare to deal with, only takes 5 mins to sign up , but 3 months to discontinue.

Sky are much better for TV

what are wimax like for Broadband

It's not real broadband, more like 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I have the wimax broadband and its fine i never have any bother with and thats with 3 xboxes a mac, 2 phones all connected to it and it does the job, its no where near the speed of UPC but it doesnt drop out as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

7upfree wrote: »

This appeared on our boxes today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Seems on demand is gone live in Waterford. Nice addition to upc.

Haven't missed sky since I got it out. Plenty on the skybox for free too.

Advertisement