Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Daily Mail brigade.

• 12-07-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

I used to wonder who read the Daily Mail. A relative of mine had it on their kitchen table and as I don't read the rag I flicked through it for curiosity value. The relative then tapped on the page I was reading and said 'That's the only paper that tells the truth. I get all my news from it, its a real newspaper'. It's actually scary to think there's people out there who not only buy the paper, they form their opinions on it.

Do all Daily Mail readers blame asylum seekers for everything, hate foreigners and think we need a zero tolerance crime policy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

lazygal wrote: »
    I used to wonder who read the Daily Mail. A relative of mine had it on their kitchen table and as I don't read the rag I flicked through it for curiosity value. The relative then tapped on the page I was reading and said 'That's the only paper that tells the truth. I get all my news from it, its a real newspaper'. It's actually scary to think there's people out there who not only buy the paper, they form their opinions on it.

Do all Daily Mail readers blame asylum seekers for everything, hate foreigners and think we need a zero tolerance crime policy?
    Racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Just to warn you, apparently they don't think much of lazy folks either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

This relative of yours, by any chance are they getting on in years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Does your relative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Chucken wrote: »
    Does your relative?

Yes, pretty much. But I'm don't know whether the Daily Mail has created those views or confirmed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Its actually a really good paper. But my subscription is usually stolen - by the bloody eastern block sociopaths in the neighbourhood. Really winds me up it does - but no point in going to the police about it.:mad:

p.s. We will always love you Diana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I love the Mail.

It's like that old guy down the pub who always has a story to tell. Sure, most of them are bullsh1t but at least it's entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Its just as good as the Independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The Daily Mail causes cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Jonathan Cainers in it = reason why half the readers buy it. The other half are paranoid and full of fear. And don't know Cainer has a free website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

"Divorce leaves Tom feeling flushed: Cruise visits loos THREE times in 20 minutes on Oblivion set"

- The Daily Mail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Love the daily mail buy it everyday. Nothing wrong with the paper or it's readers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Bull fcukin shít they did lol. Sounds like really shít commercial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Are you referring to the Daily Mail or the Irish Daily Mail?

If its the daily mail it is keeping in tune with every other paper in the UK in being ****e. I have never found a newspaper in the UK that comes even close to telling the truth/ not being biased/failing to hide who they politically support. You would get more accurate news in After Hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭baldbear

Hated the Tory Brit mail but have grudgingly given a little respect to some of the Irish mails storys. Recording the quinns in Kiev and there dodgy dealings, reporting the FG politician whinging about surviving on €140 k a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

I am an avid reader of their online "side bar of shame"

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭baldbear

Pantsface wrote: »

Did you read the story about the orphaned kitten getting pushed around in a trolly by its adopted mother? Had me in tears.
    I too am guilty of looking at the online crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Pantsface wrote: »

The Bikini bar?

baldbear wrote: »
    Did you read the story about the orphaned kitten getting pushed around in a trolly by its adopted mother? Had me in tears.
    I too am guilty of looking at the online crap.

I haven't seen that one! Aww though at the thoughts of it! waaaa

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    The Bikini bar?

Its where they have photos of celebrity woman and say that they are too fat / skinny / dressed like a tramp / look sh*t without makeup / tired / stressed and other nice things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

.....as I don't read the rag....

How did you manage to form an opinion on something you don't read??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Direct your relative to:

* https://twitter.com/StopDailyMail

* http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.ie/

...But then he might nor want to hear some real truths that exposes the main lies, he considers true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I always buy the mail and read it online all the time, dont see what the problem is unless its trendy to hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Idependent €1.90 Irish Examiner €1.90 Irish Daily Mail €1.00. I buy nothing else but why does Dunnes store not stock it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

The only people I've come across that buy this regularly are middle-aged/older women. That's not a put-down or anything, that just seems to be their demographic. The paper comes across to me as a bit gossipy and exaggerated, conveniently ignoring some facts sometimes.

Then again, most of the other papers are complete rags that pander to their demographics too so the mail isn't better or worse than them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What did Stephen Fry say ~ how can one not be inordinately fond of something the Daily Mail despises

[insert cliche about Daily Mail dilemma - illegal immigrants beating up paedophiles]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Daily Mail: "One in four cannot read"

Nice to see a newspaper finally acknowledging their audience :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The paper that put out a story that Amanda Knox was found guilty and put in comments from the prosecutor, described the shock in the courtroom, how Amanda looked stunned and lots more info in descriptive language.

Except she was found not guilty and none of it ever happened :pac:

Screenshot
    http://www.journalism.co.uk/agile_assets/130/daily_mail_amanda_knox.png_resized_460_.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

They do fantastic photos on their website to be fair

Beautiful pics of scenery and animals

Lots of interesting historical stories too

Mad obsession with Hitler though, easily 3 or 4 stories on the Fuhrer every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Pushtrak wrote: »
    The Daily Mail causes cancer.

It cures it too though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It cures it too though!

Air-brushing cures everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

cymbaline wrote: »

That video makes me want to shave and put on a suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

The daily mail online is brilliant it can have a story about how global warming is causing all the bad weather and then further down the page have a story about how scientists have discovered that the world is actually getting colder.Its utter rubbish,but I just cant stop reading it.

• Advertisement

Samantha Brick reckons ye are all mingers and mad jealous of her :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I love the Mail!

My special favorites are the "Council haven't changed light outside mothers house for 3 months" followed by said mother standing outside by the light with a big frown on her face. Quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

We have our own version of The Mail here in Donegal.

It gives us exclusives such as

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/07/11/found-alive-three-kittens-dumped-inside-bag-beside-river/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Colleague of mine buys it every week to read what Joe Higgins has to say and then spends the rest of the day moaning about what 'that f***ing communist' said. :D
    Good puzzle pages though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I bought the daily mail today and I have no shame in saying so.

My shoes were wet and I needed something to help dry them out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

A little too expensive for toilet paper for my liking, rough on the rear end too unlike Andrex.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 348 ✭✭Actor

Thankfully Daily Mail readers outnumber Guardian readers by at least a factor of ten.

The Daily Mail online website is on of the world's most popular media sites.

OP: maybe you don't like it's content, but you have to admit that they are doing something right? Also, why does it bother you what other people like to read? Typical left-wing snootiness if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

People tend to read newspapers that confirm their beliefs, not challenge them. Still, most their readership probably don't even care about the above issues save for the odd whinging session down in the pub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 348 ✭✭Actor

People tend to read newspapers that confirm their beliefs, not challenge them. Still, most their readership probably don't even care about the above issues save for the odd whinging session down in the pub

Let me guess... A Guardian reader?

People tend to read newspapers that confirm their beliefs, not challenge them.

The Daily Mail is madly popular not just because of its politics, it's choc full of fashion, diets, celeb news, TV reviews and gossip and other stuff the wimmins like
    Other papers do this but not everyday and not for €1

It's pretty much half their website too

It sells

Still, most their readership probably don't even care about the above issues save for the odd whinging session down in the pub

Sure you said it yourself :)

Readers don't care about current affairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Actor wrote: »
    Let me guess... A Guardian reader?

actor pls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

dttq wrote: »
    A little too expensive for toilet paper for my liking, rough on the rear end too unlike Andrex.
    plus wont it just replace the faeces with ink? that is a poor trade off.
    the only use can see for using UK daily mail as bog roll is if streakers use it;the overpowering stench of logic and impartiality being thrown out of the window & replaced with overemotive wording and biases will keep any old fashioned football players up to date on disability benefit claimants being a bunch of frauds/dole claimants spending the tax payers money on private yachts/big tvs/plastic surgery for their wife... as they run the footballer off the pitch.

the UK daily mail is a bit like crossing very old people with a milder form of the BNP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

A tabloid that thinks it's not. Double standards.

A bit like me hehe.. I am an avid subscriber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This is why I hate the daily mail: in an article entitled "acid attack victim pleads for death" this is their opening line:

"The events of April 22, 2003, are burnt into Sonali Mukherjee's memory, and her face."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

This is why I hate the daily mail: in an article entitled "acid attack victim pleads for death" this is their opening line:

"The events of April 22, 2003, are burnt into Sonali Mukherjee's memory, and her face."

And that why I love reading it

• Advertisement
Advertisement