Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I dyslexic ?

• 12-07-2012 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

I keep saying stuff like "I went to the the thing" and "I once did did something". And even reading it back I dont notice it until I happen on it later and just notice something odd about it.

I type this stuff and read back over it and never realize I have done it. Is this common or am I technically handicapped ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

You can spell dyslexic therefore are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

That's just a plain old bad habit OP.
    You're unlikely to be dyslexic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Found I cure dyslexia a for :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Standard.
    Does anyone else go back over a post, maybe a few hours later, and realise they've left out entire words!? Not just small words like 'and' or 'it' but a big one that renders the sentence nonsensical?

I've often done it and thought to myself 'how in the name of muppetry did you manage that ya gob****e'? I reckon that it's something to do with my brain racing ahead with thoughts and the fingers trying to keep up typing them out.

Anyway, we're not writing academic essays here FFS we're yapping on an internet forum for lols. I'd sacrifice good grammar for a bit more creativity and personality in my writing - no contest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

yas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

It worries me though that I can say "I'll read this now and make sure its fine" read it and not notice that I've doubled up on some words". I think my brain is broked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

maybe you do have sexdaily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Does it happen a lot, or just now and then?

Either way, you aren't dyslexic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

LordSmeg wrote: »
    I keep saying stuff like "I went to the the thing" and "I once did did something". And even reading it back I dont notice it until I happen on it later and just notice something odd about it.

I type this stuff and read back over it and never realize I have done it. Is this common or am I technically handicapped ?

I do the same but I had crap teachers who never corrected my mistakes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

You must be a paedophile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

If I'm typing really fast, at times I'll post words out of sequence. though I've gotten more a handle on that in recent times. That isn't dyslexia either, don't know if there is a term for this type of thing.

Happens a lot, sometime's I write entire phrases twice so I pick up on when I read back but if its just a doubled word I dont notice it until after I post.

I actually thought it was something wrong with boards at one stage because I was convinced I couldnt have missed it when reading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

As my primary school teacher told me, "your not dyslexic, your just stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Did you hear about the dyslexic druggie?

He thought he was getting LSD but ended up with quicker broadband.    

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

You might just have lost your train of thought while typing, it just you probably on autopilot. Often happens that I repeat a sentence or miss half of a sentence if on autopilot or my mind is somewhere else and loose my concentration and train of thought. Its not unusual.

I often repeat words twice too and don't think you are dyslexic. If you were you wouldn't be able to distinguish and spell words correctly or write letters a different way? Its really on difficulty being fluent with reading, comprehension, writing and spelling. That you get mixed up with things but at a more incomprehension-able level.

What I find I could do is write 'to' instead of 'the' and vice versa, they instead of the or at instead of to or and or an. Sometimes when I type no or not, I forget to type in the T or else my touch typing isn't pressing hard enough on the keys. Other things like that as well but sometimes I type and write things before my head can catch up with it or that I miss a word in a sentence sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Sit down, I have shocking news for you.

You are, in fact, a cyborg. You are stuck in a goto loop when this happens.
    Something must be out of kilter with your positronic net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

It's p obably a p oblem with you keyboa d-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I know a dyslexic racist.

He hates gingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

-o pe haps all you need is a p oof eade .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Old McDonald was dyslexic,

E - P - O - Q - G

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Old McDonald was dyslexic,

E - P - O - Q - G

Your a bit of an amiture when it comes to dyslexic jokes aint ya!

Its actually

I - O - E - I - O :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think it's just a matter of typing skills. I notice it myself sometimes because I build up a rythym when tapping away and sometimes pause, then repeat the previous part again.

It's also the reason why I kind of make the same spelling mistakes all the time. Notice it more so with "becasue."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Cancer.

I build up a rythym when tapping away

*Sniggers*

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jon_459

Dyslexia rules - KO!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Snowie wrote: »
    *Sniggers*

Dunno how you could of missread that, there's no F :P

Dunno how you could of missread that, there's no F :P

wut :confused:

I was talking about self abuse :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Not until you walk into a bra !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Dyslexia? No.

Stutter? Yes.

• Advertisement

Someone just told me that they remembered a teacher telling them about this years ago. They said most people who read at average+ speed will fail to notice the extra word. Similar to how you can read wehn the splleing is all msesed up. Your brain recognizes what its supposed to be and it just makes sense to you and if it makes sense you dont question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SavageHenry

ah the old ones are the best!

Two Dyslexic robbers run into a bank and shout:

"Air in the hands mother stickers this is a F*ckup!"

Seriously though OP I do it all the time. I am in my very late twenties and have noticed a marked decline in my vocabulary and regularly stuck for words. I have started reading more to keep my brain a bit more active. I blame the IPOD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Stutter, not dyslexia ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Did you try rubbing it?

Did you try rubbing it?

Tried rubbing it, pickin at it and prodding it with a stick. All to no avail :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

When doctors told me they could cure my dyslexia, it was music to my arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Tried rubbing it, pickin at it and prodding it with a stick. All to no avail :(

The outlook is not good then.

Advertisement