Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Courses?

• 12-07-2012 9:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

OK So I spoke to my guidance teacher before the summer holidays. As you all may know I wanna do pharmacy. It needs a lot of points. My Guidance Teacher said the easiest way to get in for pharmacy is to first study a science subject in college then go for pharmacy since some science subjects don't require that much points. Now my question is which science should I go for which requires the least amount of points?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

That doesn't sound like the easist route into Pharmacy :confused:

There are lots of Science courses in ITs that are usually as little as 200~ points, but I don't understand how doing one would get you into Pharmacy.

You can do similar courses within the same college, say medicinal chemistry or science in Trinity. But again, I don't think you can just transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

You can't really do one science subject in college.

If points are an issue, there are many different ways to get into pharmacy or something near enough pharmacy.

You could do for example,

Biopharmaceutical chemistry
    Biomedicine (focusing on pharmacology)
    Medicinal science as Fewty said up there
    Regular science ~( focusing on pharmacology aspects)
    Chemistry and molecular modelling (mapping enzymes and developing drugs (how they look) etc)
    Nanoscience
    Microbiology

There are thousands of ways. Chemistry is the main science involved in Pharmacy. Doing a course with chemistry for the main module/subject may be a good starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

fontdor wrote: »
    OK So I spoke to my guidance teacher before the summer holidays. As you all may know I wanna do pharmacy. It needs a lot of points. My Guidance Teacher said the easiest way to get in for pharmacy is to first study a science subject in college then go for pharmacy since some science subjects don't require that much points. Now my question is which science should I go for which requires the least amount of points?

You're basically looking at doing 2 degrees. 8 years to do Pharmacy?

The easiest way is to work hard for your Leaving Cert, check out the Pharmacy courses and see what subjects are required for entry, choose those and work hard.

Having said all that your thread from last week is you going on about changing subjects because chemistry because it's too hard, yet this thread and your other one are about you trying to get into pharmacy and medicine, both of which require chemistry. Pharmacy in particular is going to be fairly heavily weighted towards chemistry. You need to sit down and work out what it is you really want.

Also the fact that you want to go for a course that requires 'the least amount of points' suggests that you are not particularly serious about these courses because if you were you would be focusing on getting the maximum amount of points for your ability and not looking for the easiest way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

Pharmacy is all related to Chemistry. It basically requires you to study Chemistry and nothing else for 4 years. If you don't like Leaving Cert Chemistry and find it difficult then you WILL end up having to drop out of pharmacy as your grades will frankly be ****. You should do something you like, that you find challenging but not too difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The easiest way to do pharmacy is to work your arse off over the next year or 2 years and get the points. Guidance teachers love telling you about 'backdoors' in to courses, but these shouldn't be plan A. They're generally a very drawn out and expensive way of doing things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement