Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 3G wifi

• 12-07-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hello all

Hope someone can help.In the last 2 weeks I've had problems with my wifi.Ive an iPhone 3G and it just drops wifi connection or loses it completely.We have 2 iPhones in the house and only mine has a problem,even in work I can't keep a connection.Im 100% sure it's a problem with my phone and not my UPC Internet.

I've tried doing a complete system reset but no change.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

by reset do you mean a restore in itunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

guil wrote: »
    by reset do you mean a restore in itunes?

Yep

did you restore from a backup or as a new phone?

did you restore from a backup or as a new phone?

Set it up as a new phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If it's a new problem the phone hardware is probably not the issue.
    It could be something from an app you've downloaded or a update or whatnot.
    Backup phone fully to icloud or itunes then do a restore as suggested to a new phone.
    Then move contacts, calendars over and don't put apps on for a day or so.
    If wifi is holding add the apps one by one.

Phone is 3g, what version on the operating system?

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    If it's a new problem the phone hardware is probably not the issue.
    It could be something from an app you've downloaded or a update or whatnot.
    Backup phone fully to icloud or itunes then do a restore as suggested to a new phone.
    Then move contacts, calendars over and don't put apps on for a day or so.
    If wifi is holding add the apps one by one.

Phone is 3g, what version on the operating system?

Ok I'll try that.ios is 5.1.1

i'd imagine its a problem with the wifi receiver, its cheap enough to get a new one, contact cathal in irepair for a quote or try it yourself

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Ok I'll try that.ios is 5.1.1
    iphone 3g doesn't support 5.1.1.
    What version are you on now?

Try to restore as new phone before you do anything else, imo. Just make sure to back up everything first.

Euthyroid already said thy restored as a new phone. Good spot on the firmware though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭giggsy07

Having a similar issue with a 3gs after a factory restore and apple unlock from a jailbreak.Drops wifi then picks up and drops again.Never suffered from it before the apple unlock and restore.Doing a full restore again looks the obvious way forward but the taughts of moving apps and all that again.Am wondering would a reflash of the baseband improve it?.:confused:

• Advertisement

iphone 3g doesn't support 5.1.1.
    What version are you on now?

Try to restore as new phone before you do anything else, imo. Just make sure to back up everything first.

Well I'm definitely running 5.1.1(9b206)It was a hand me down phone so I just presumed it was a 3g

Thats a 3GS

Would reflashing the baseband improve it guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭cc

have you been able to reproduce when using another wifi network?

cc wrote: »
    have you been able to reproduce when using another wifi network?

Same problem occurs.Ive never had problems until about 2 weeks ago.I have UPC at home and Eircom in work and it will struggle to get a connection

Have you changed anything on the phone since it start happening

Let us know what steps you have taken up until now and we'll guide you further.

Have you changed anything on the phone since it start happening

I've changed nothing.I've reset it today to factory settings again.I've set it up ad a new phone and wiped all info including contacts,calenders apps and every other bit of info.

Same problem tho,still wifi struggles to connect.

It seems you've eliminated all software possibilities. If you can then it would be time to take the phone apart and inspect the connections inside that may be corroded or not tight.
    Or have a shop do it.

• Advertisement

It seems you've eliminated all software possibilities. If you can then it would be time to take the phone apart and inspect the connections inside that may be corroded or not tight.
    Or have a shop do it.

I had the same problem guys losing wifi connection while my brothers never did.i downgraded the baseband and reflashed then factory reset and last 2 days it's 100%..

Prob worth a shot. Can you clarify exactly the steps for the OP?

Prob worth a shot. Can you clarify exactly the steps for the OP?
    Ye sure no problem i downgraded the baseband using redsnow0.9.14b2 rebooted then done a full restore and hey presto.. http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22652
    The following link has all the info you need..

Thanks for the replies lads.ive tried the above step but no change.ive bought a kit to take the iPhone apart and replace the wifi part.

I've an old iPhone 2.Can any parts from this be used to replace on my 3GS?wifi,home button,sleep button,volume control?my phone is a bit battered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads.ive tried the above step but no change.ive bought a kit to take the iPhone apart and replace the wifi part.

I've an old iPhone 2.Can any parts from this be used to replace on my 3GS?wifi,home button,sleep button,volume control?my phone is a bit battered

No 2g parts are interchangeable with the 3g

Advertisement