Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable TV for 5 year old

Options
  • 12-07-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Son has out grown, Peppa Pig, Ben&Holly,Thomas & Bob.

Any one with boy of similiar age any opinions on what is now suitable. We don't have all the channels, only have the free to air satelite channels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

Hi Ocy,

My son is nearly 5 too and he loves the Octonauts and Mike the Knight, and he quite likes TreeFu Tom, all on Cbeebies (If you have Cbeebies - we get this on our free to air satellite).

The Octonauts in particular is great - very educational, he knows lots of stuff about sea creatures now.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

We only have YouTube but our 5yo loves Mr Benn, Bagpuss and all those awesome 1970's David McKee creations. He also likes Charlie and Lola (on ceebeebies as well as youtube)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

Kaylee wrote: »
    Hi Ocy,

My son is nearly 5 too and he loves the Octonauts and Mike the Knight, and he quite likes TreeFu Tom, all on Cbeebies (If you have Cbeebies - we get this on our free to air satellite).

The Octonauts in particular is great - very educational, he knows lots of stuff about sea creatures now.

:)

Absolutely agree on all of the above.

A great one (and v educational) on youtube is 'magic school bus' - its a US programme where a school teacher brings kids on journeys of exploration on the school bus. For example, in one episode, the bus shrinks and goes inside the body to explain what happens to food being digested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

My guys still watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, The Hive. What about Power Rangers, Ben 10, Mr.BEan, Tom & Jerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi Ocy,
    my nearly 5 year old is outgrowing cbeebies at the mo too , but he still will watch octonauts, mike the knight, treefutom etc.
    He was fire man sam dvds, also sponge bob square pants is a fave, and he is loving discovering Shreck:)
    We only have free to air too, he loves tinypop, he likes madeline, millymolly and timothy goes to school. I hate the ads though which is why i encourage cbeebies and dvds

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ulysses, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, the Once Upon A Time... series, Sesame Street, Willy Fog, Tom and Jerry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We have a three year old that has outgrown peppa, B&H etc. too. He's now big into Power Rangers (and all their millions of variations). He also likes Tree Fu Tom, Mike the Knight and Charlie & Lola (all on CBeebies).

We also have netflix because you can control what the children watch and also (more importantly) it cuts out the incessant adverts that play between many kids shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Please do yourself a favour and do not show him Ben 10. I have an addict going cold turkey at moment........its rough but i think we'll make it! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

racso1975 wrote: »
    Please do yourself a favour and do not show him Ben 10. I have an addict going cold turkey at moment........its rough but i think we'll make it! :-)

I think Ben10 drives my son off his head... TBH all Ben10 and powerrangers type progs only serve to drive him crazy so I keep them away as much as possible. I hope make it through:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

Thanks to all, have recorded a few of tree Fu Tom, Mike the Knight, Charlie and Lola. Will see how we get on with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

My 4.5 year old twins started watching Ben 10 last week despite me avoiding it for ages. They have been on about it for months after seeing one episode and hearing about it in creche. Addicted to it already. Damn you Ben. Super hero squad is another favorite. They have gotten bored with cbeebies also although one of them would watch gigglebiz all day if he could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I made the mistake of buying our 3 year old a Ben 10 magazine a few months ago, in the magazine there's a pull out comic. Ever since he saw that he's Ben 10 mad! All he saw was the comic! I've never seen an episode of it myself and neither has he, the comic was enough to hook him in. There's something about little kids and superheroes!

Anyhow, I overheard a conversation between him and his eldest cousin about the cartoon and he told him it's on Sky! Now I have a 3 year old badgering me for sky so he can see Ben 10! Its a scourge I tell you :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No idea whats on FTA TV.

We like getting box sets Ben 10, Muppet show, Peppa, Thomas Tank Engine, Red Tractor, Postman Pat, you can get them cheap on DVD or the library often has DVD's and boxsets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

what about some movies?
    the land before time,
    toy story,
    the lion king...etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The Iron Giant and Laura Star are two favorites of ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

We have 'freeview' and my 5.5yr old and 3.5yr old seem to enjoy watching 'Milkshake'(collection of different programmes) on channel 5 in the early morning.

CITV has 'Art Attack' and 'Horrid Henry' which they enjoy, but I am not sure what times these are on as we don't have the tv on that much.

Apart from that they watch DVD's on a rainy afternoon or when really wrecked.

Does your little boy have a passion for anything?Mine loves dinosaurs and we watch that on youtube (eg 'Walking with dinosaurs' etc)Educational too, so guilt free!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

Thanks again for all the replies;
    We have recorded all the Planet Dinosaur programs which he likes,
    He has always been allowed watch 2 programs before bed which used to be from our collection of recordings (Peppa Pig, Fireman Sam, Bob the Builder, Thomas, Shaun the Sheep, Ben & Holly) and this has been fine for the past 2 years.
    Lately he has been asking for Ben10, but I think this is only on the Cartoon Network which is not available on free to air.
    He does like films especially Ice Age-Dawn of Dinosaurs and Shrek 1, but these are fine for a wet saturday not really the 10/15 minute program before bed.

Mike the Knight didn't seem to rock his boat. Tree Fu Tom fared slightly better so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

I suppose it depends on what TV you have. We have SKY and my 5 yo loves Milly Molly, Timothy goes to school, Captain Mack...but he's also into Top Gear, which is a bit weird seeing as nobody in my house wtaches it!

Its really horses for courses when it comes to kids TV...1 things for sure and thats all kids TV today is fantatstic. Its educational, fun, triggers their imagination....well thought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

I forgot about 'Milly Molly'-our 5 year old likes that too.It's on 'Freeview' around bedtime and is on for about 15minutes. Also 'Madeline' and 'Franny's feet' are nice quiet programmes to wind down to. Channel is TINYPOP and TINYPOP+1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Sorry for being a parental bore here.....but...

All telly is bad for a 5 year old!

(only joking).

I read recently an article about 'good' and 'bad' TV for kids to watch. One of the points made was with regard to attention span. That TV shows with longer and more developed plotlines was better for kids, in that they encouraged kids to have greater concentration, attention spans, ability to engage in a story etc. Conversely, shows that are all action and jump around all the time contributes to shorter attention span. I didnt read too much into it but I guess you can google if interested. Anyway I recall Spongebob was one that was particularly cited as being in the 'bad' camp, for what its worth.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, Fireman Sam - Great Fire of Pontypandy. An EPIC piece of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

My little one recently started watching Bosco(dvd)and seems to be loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

If you have free to air you should be able to get Tiny Pop and Pop which have loads to cater for a five year old. We have a five year old, a two year old and twin one year olds and Tiny Pop has something for them all!!

I am not too sure but CITV at around 7am on a Saturday morning could have Ben10 on it. For some reason at that time you will get some really good cartoons which they change every now and again. I have recorded Dora and the Hive (which is a huge favourite in our house with all ages!!) at 7am on Saturday morning so keep an eye out!

Advertisement