Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exercising a dog with arthritis?

• 12-07-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

hi :)
    our lab whos 9 has arthritis in her elbow, she has had injections from the vet which have made a big difference thank god and ive had a good search through old post about diet and suppliments etc. Bascily im woundering if anyone who has experence with this and their dog to help ha :rolleyes:... you cant not walk this dog she lives for them!! while getting the injections we did as the vet recommended small walks ten to fifteen mins just to let her sniff around etc but she was much worse at the time ! i dont want to be cruel to her but is a 30 - 40 min walk too much ?? shes quiet stiff when we get it ? after the injections we kinda built her up to stay out that long ! there not brisk walks shes on loose lead and we go were she wants to go.... i know every dog is different.. but we just got in from a walk and shes stiff and i feel like a terrible mammy :( .. thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We have a 12 year old cocker with a herniated disk which I know is slightly diffrent but does affect his mobility.
    My advice would be keep her walks short and regular rather than big long walks not so often.
    Before this he would happily walk a good 4 mile walk but now I bring him for maybe a 30 minute walk a few times a week.
    She will tell you if shes not able for it. I know with him when hes struggling he'll slow down and start looking back at me and maybe even walk at my feel rather than running ahead like normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is there a hydro centre near you OP? It could help with her condition and will wear her out. If she's getting stiff from the walks you need to cut them back imo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I'd say short regular walks might be better you should be able to tell when it's getting too much for her. What county are you in I think there's a Hydro center in Kildare. Or if you can get her to a slow flowing river, being a lab she might like the water anyway, swimming would really help take the pressure off her joints. Acupuncture might work as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd say short regular walks might be better you should be able to tell when it's getting too much for her. What county are you in I think there's a Hydro center in Kildare. Or if you can get her to a slow flowing river, being a lab she might like the water anyway, swimming would really help take the pressure off her joints. Acupuncture might work as well.

If you have the option of hydro go for it - tootling around in the river isn't the same as a hydro session. I know because my guy is floored after his hydro session but would be in the river all day if he had his way :) and not a bother on him. Also the water at hydro is warm which is better for their muscles and they can increase/control the current. We're in Dublin and go to Sharpwells every week - there's a few more in Dublin too. We were at the one in Sallins last week for their open day and it was great but I'm happy enough to stay with Sharpwells - there's no need for me to get in the pool with him like you can in Sallins - I get just as wet standing beside it!! :)

Advertisement