Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 3 Week 17 Results

Options
  • 12-07-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Bengals backups demolish Ravens 38-9
    Whole defense rested and main RB's. Attempted to see what passing game would be like without Maclin and Gates but backup RB Javon Ringer took matters into his own hands with 240 yards, 4 TD's on 24 carries.
    When did try to pass the results were predictably bad, couple INTs and lot of bad misses
    Think that locks up the no.3 seed for me

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Bengals backups demolish Ravens 38-9
    Whole defense rested and main RB's. Attempted to see what passing game would be like without Maclin and Gates but backup RB Javon Ringer took matters into his own hands with 240 yards, 4 TD's on 24 carries.
    When did try to pass the results were predictably bad, couple INTs and lot of bad misses
    Think that locks up the no.3 seed for me

Well done Rob, good luck against the chargers in the play offs!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭notyalc666

Falcons beat the Saints 20 - 17 in overtime in an exciting final game.

Tony Romo gets injured early in the game to finalize a horrible year of injuries for the Falcons but Tyler Thigpen and Ryan Williams pick up the slack, to bring the Falcons back from 10 - 0 down at half time to 14 - 10.

Only for the Saints to score in the last 2 min of the 4th. Falcons score a last ditch Field goal after missing two all ready in the game to bring us to over time and yet again Williams runs up the pitch to get us in field goal position.

Finish 8 and 8 again, which i'm happy enough with. Although have noticed that my home record is terrible so i'm not a dome team so the plan for next year is any team that is not in a dome.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

notyalc666 wrote: »
    Finish 8 and 8 again, which i'm happy enough with.

The Falcons are the new Arizona 8 & 8s.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

Lions 3rd string lost to the bears. Think it was 35-3, can't remember. Paddy played well and was beating me quite early on, made some stupidly good catches and from then on I wasn't really that bothered and just wanted to keep all my players injury free. Almost had one of my starter cbs get injured when he came on for a couple of plays.

Sorry to the redskins I did try but preserving my players was my main aim here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Addilynn Clumsy Strawberry

Raoul wrote: »
    Lions 3rd string lost to the bears. Think it was 35-3, can't remember. Paddy played well and was beating me quite early on, made some stupidly good catches and from then on I wasn't really that bothered and just wanted to keep all my players injury free. Almost had one of my starter cbs get injured when he came on for a couple of plays.

Sorry to the redskins I did try but preserving my players was my main aim here.

i wouldnt expect you to risk injury for another team :)

congrats paddy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

congrats paddy

Another BFL conspiracy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

congrats paddy

Thanks nerd wasn't really much of a game I went ahead early with some good scores then it was just running out the clock. I'm sure you will be in the playoffs in madden 13. Raoul good luck in the playoffs

congrats paddy

Another BFL conspiracy!!!
    Haha if there's one thing you love it's a good conspiracy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

San fran 21 Rams 7. All points in the first quarter along with a crossbar challenge which ended up tied at one apiece. Fairly got flattened lucky its the last game ive two boys out with collarbones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

madalig12 wrote: »
    San fran 21 Rams 7. All points in the first quarter along with a crossbar challenge which ended up tied at one apiece. Fairly got flattened lucky its the last game ive two boys out with collarbones.

Good game, nice way to end the season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Lost to the Buccs. Does anyone know how to send a man in motion because I was trying to all game, pressed every single button there was and nothing happened and Hali got through untouched every time.

EDIT: And this loss means a lot to me as now I can't play my favourite team the Chargers in the divisional. Bills, Bengals or Titans.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

matthew8 wrote: »
    Lost to the Buccs.

This has somewhat ruined the surprise but anyways...

The Raiders welcomed the Bucs to the O.Co Stadium earlier this afternoon. The Raiders took to the field knowing a win would guarantee the number 1 seed and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. The Bucs had little to play for and looking to avoid injury, lined-up with only Tamba Hali from the regular starting 22 on the pitch - not including the Oline of course (can Olinemen get injured???).

The captains met at half way and the Bucs won the toss, electing to defer. The Raiders took the kickoff and marched into Buc territory. 3 incomplete passes later the bal was punted to bring 3rd string QB Dennis Dixon onto the field. Immediately the difference between regular starter Josh Freeman and Dixon were apparent when Dixon underthrew a wide open, 5th choice WR Jernel Jernigan and was picked by Timmons.

Matt Hill, then found Greg Olsen on a streak over the middle and a missed tackle from 6th choice CB DiMikael Branch (acquired in a trade for a colour TV) saw him scamper in for a 47yard TD - 7-0 Raiders.

Assuming, passing was not an option, the Bucs called on Matt Forte, back from injury and now backing up DeMarco Murray. A number of good runs and a few quick completions to Jordy Nelson saw the Bucs glide into the redzone. The Bucs then brought in "9th" choice RB Roddy White who scampered 13 yards for a TD. 7-7

The Raiders, after 3 quick Tamba Hali sacks (giving him a lead leading 28 sacks) and numerous errant/incomplete throws, turned to the running game with D Bell grinding out some hard yards on the ground. As the half came to a close the Raiders found themselves - 1st and goal on the Bucs 3 with 20 seconds left. An incredible stand from the Bucs 2nd team D including some great tackling from Sean Lee saw the Raiders pushed back and forced to kick a FG as time expired. 10-7 Raiders at the half.

The Bucs received the ball in the second half and were surprised to find after pasing into a 19mph wind in the 1st and 2nd quarter... they were passing into a 19mph wind in the 3rd quarter too!!! (can anyone explain the Madden logic here???) This became even more annoying when Dixon underthrew his second INT to Timmons - setting the Raiders up in good field position. They couldn't take advantage of this and were forced to punt.

Dixon was dropped at this stage in favor of second string QB Ryan "i move slower than continental drift" Mallett. However, after missing 3 passes in a row. The Bucs punted and Dixon was put back under center. This was not before Bell broke through a tackle, the game lagged dramatically, allowing Bell to matrix style move around the covering safety and scamper for a 46 yard TD to give the Raiders a commanding looking 17-7 lead.

The Bucs got the ball back but once again fell short and punted as the 3rd quarter ended. As the 4th began, the Raiders, with the no. 1 seed in their pocket began to play very conservatively and went 3 and out - once more off the back of another Matt Hill incompletion. The Bucs through Matt Forte cranked it up and quickly got into FG range with Vinitieri kicking from 31 yards to make it a 1 score game 17 - 10 Raiders.

Once again the Raiders conservatively ran the ball, going 3 and out and allowing, the Bucs one last opportunity as the game hit the 2 minute warning. A few quick completions to Jernigan and a long screen pass to Matt Forte set the Bucs up with 1st and goal. Following an amazing block from 6th round rookie TE Worley to set the edge, Forte ran in for a 7 yard TD and a potentially leveling score. With 80 seconds still on the clock, there was a debate whether to go for 2 points but sense prevailed and Vinitieri kicked to make the game 17-17.

A decent kickoff return from Reggie Bush put the Raiders in a position to drive for the winning FG. However, Matt Hill again failed to find Olsen on a streak and then over threw Johnny Knox on a streak giving the Bucs the ball back with 40 seconds to go and 80 yards to travel.

80 yards very quickly became 50 yards after 2 completions to TE Worley. A long screen pass to Forte then saw the Bucs reach the Raiders 12 yard line. The Raiders called their final timeout, stopping the clock with 12 seconds to go. Unfortunately for them, the Bucs, after some magical (if i dont' say so myself) game management still had one left. A Dixon knee allowed the clock to tick down to 2 seconds, allowing "Mr. Clutch" Adam Vinitieri, step up and kick the Bucs back-ups to the win!!! 20-17 Bucs as time expired.

Man of the Match: The entire Bucs second/third string defense - the Raiders have scored a ton of points this year and a accumulated truck load of yards including nearly 1,000 against the much vaunted Bills defense. The Bucs 2nd/3rd stringer held them to 200 yards - 100 of which come on the 2 broken, scoring plays. LE Muhammend Wilkerson and 52 overall rookie LE Darian Nix manned the center of the DLine admirably while Suh and Ratliff watched with much admiration. Their efforts allowed Hali to take the lead in the sack race. The LB corps held Olsen to only 3 catches and other than the "lag-attack" kept the running game reasonably in check. Finally, the secondary who allowed only 3 completed passes in the whole game and none in the second half also deserve praise!!!

Goat(s) of the game: Matt Hill, Greg Olsen and Jonny Knox for managing to complete zero passes/receptions in the second half with the number 1 seed on the line.

Outlook: Both teams go off for a well earned bye-week as the number 2 seeds in the respective conferences. Both GM's now know to meet again they'll have to win respective battles in MetLife Stadium at the Meadowlands.

Thanks for the game Matthew and for accommodating my hectic schedule!!! I'm sure you'll agree that was quite the nail biter. See you in New York ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

ibmax wrote: »
    Outlook: Both teams go off for a well earned bye-week as the number 2 seeds in the respective conferences. Both GM's now know to meet again they'll have to win respective battles in MetLife Stadium at the Meadowlands.

You'll have to win your divisional game first ;)

lined-up with only Tamba Hali from the regular starting 22 on the pitch - not including the Oline of course (can Olinemen get injured???).

Forte started too...

SantryRed wrote: »
    You'll have to win your divisional game first ;)

Well aware... and well aware who it's likely to be ;)

just thought it was a poetic way to end... meant to add a "your welcome Berty" too :D
    Forte started too...
    Assuming, passing was not an option, the Bucs called on Matt Forte, back from injury and now backing up DeMarco Murray

Well I don't know what sort of a starter has 1 carry while his backup has 21, as well as 4 receptions.

Well I don't know what sort of a starter has 1 carry while his backup has 21, as well as 4 receptions.

He means that while Forte was injured, Murray came in, played so well tht he now views him as his no 1 back, not Forte. I imagine if there were another off season Forte would be on the block.

etloveslsd wrote: »

He means that while Forte was injured, Murray came in, played so well tht he now views him as his no 1 back, not Forte. I imagine if there were another off season Forte would be on the block.

Thanks ET... You are the Schefter of the boards world... Mad deduction skills. I was gonna say:

A starter who is not a regular starter and as such is playing so the regular starter does not get injured. In this case Forte is starting to avoid and injury to Murray who would be the regular starter. Similarly, Dennis Dixon started so Freeman wouldn't get injured. Wilkinson starter so Suh could avoid injury and so on...

Hali was the only of the regular starters to start as he was in a healthy competition with Shalon Holmes of the Giants to lead the league in sacks. I'm sure you noticed the difference between a regular starter and a starter today in the amount of pressure he put in Hill while the rest of the line faffed about ;)

But I think your explanation clears it up nicely :)

Well really you were running a nano blitz so the rest of the line (and linebackers) were mere spectators no matter what. I was trying to move Bell to the right to... get in his way for a second to give me time to get the pass off. But apparently the motion controls are totally ineffective in that formation. I eventually got Olsen to get in his way which gave time, but not open receivers.

As for sitting Forte, are you crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

To answer your question ibmax, yes O-linemen can get injured. As my star RT Jeff Otah will attest to.
    Out for 8 or 10 weeks last season and has left at least 2 games that I can remember this season with injuries. Besides him it seems pretty rare alright

• Advertisement

Well really you were running a nano blitz

As for sitting Forte, are you crazy?

No need for name calling. There was no nano blitzing. I don't know how to do them and if I did I believe it contravenes the spirit of the league so I wouldn't do it.

Your big problem is you've amassed an oline of incredibly strong sloths. They are so slow that when they come up against someone like hali ( acc 98) he just runs around them... Not a single blitz was used all day... Just intelligent matchups and line ups from different formations... It also helps me that you only run streaks so you have to hold onto the ball for an eternity!!!

... As for forte, yes he's an excellent player but I've managed nearly 10 ypa with Murray in his absence (1100yards and 19tds from only 120 carries) so I don't see a need for change. Murray is very brittle too so I have to be careful how much he's used

To answer your question ibmax, yes O-linemen can get injured. As my star RT Jeff Otah will attest to.
    Out for 8 or 10 weeks last season and has left at least 2 games that I can remember this season with injuries. Besides him it seems pretty rare alright

Never had an olineman injured thankfully!!! Guess I got lucky with my 5 guys ;)

Well in my mind a nano is when defenders are stacked in an area in such a way that no lineman will even try to throw a block, which is what happened to Hali on every single play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Well in my mind a nano is when defenders are stacked in an area in such a way that no lineman will even try to throw a block, which is what happened to Hali on every single play.

Leave your TE in to block then and your O Line will adapt.

I lost Alex Mack to the same injury that neko's hillis got in an offline franchise.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Leave your TE in to block then and your O Line will adapt.

Well I did and that worked for the play that I tried it (except for the fact that I only had 3 receivers). Hey, what the Buccs did was within the rules and all, but it was still a nano, and you could've but CFL players in and they would have had the same pass rush.

3 sacks does not suggest every play!!! Rushing 4 does not constitute a nano blitz. Starting some plays with hali as an olb from a 3-4 and some as an end in a 4-3 does mean he'll be lined up over different linemen. This is perfectly legal.

Perhaps if you'd tried running a play other than a streak then these "nano-blitzes" might not be so successful ;)

3 sacks does not suggest every play!!! Rushing 4 does not constitute a nano blitz. Starting some plays with hali as an olb from a 3-4 and some as an end in a 4-3 does mean he'll be lined up over different linemen. This is perfectly legal.

Perhaps if you'd tried running a play other than a streak then these "nano-blitzes" might not be so successful ;)

Well vertical passing plays or not I need at least 2 seconds to throw the ball, which I didn't get. Every single passing play Hali raced around. At least half of those 12 incompletions were Hali hitting Hill, or forcing me to throw after 1 second.

Hey, what the Buccs did was within the rules and all, but it was still a nano

A psychologist would have a field day with this sentence... Perhaps you should look closer to home???

You seem to have been sacked an awful lot given how few human games you play. I guess everyone is running nano blitzes???

Scratch that... It must be nano blitzing... It couldn't have anything to do with only running 1 streaks play repeatedly and holding onto the ball for an ages. Eventually you'll get one away and it'll be a td... The rest of the time it'll be sacks... From nano blitzes of course... It's a good job the CPU doesn't nano blitz... Otherwise you'd be....

... Oh you were sacked by the CPU too...

Dirty cheating CPU!!!

• Advertisement

Like u did with the giants in the plate last year?
    You said yourself you don't care what your linemens awarness is you paid the price for it today

Advertisement