Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with new tank!

Options
  • 12-07-2012 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi folks, first time poster longtime lurker!

Ok so for the past 4-5 months I've been thinking of getting my first tank.

From all research and a lot of help from reading up on here I know that I'd like to keep a tropical tank as big as my budget allow's.

Its early days yet and I'll probably have to start a lot more threads with more questions in the future but for now I just want to ask about a tank.

So since I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here so I'll just ask a few bits!

So what are peoples true opinions? Only buy second hand if you must or are they all just true bargains? With my inexperience comes a certain paranoia about buying second hand tanks. Also as it's my first tank I like to think that I'd like to do it all myself!

I know there are some good bargains out there but do people think that tanks should be bought new as much as possible? Also transport is a bit of a problem for me so sometimes I see a bargain and it happens to be way to far away. I seen an offer in a shop a few months ago and although the offer is gone I was assured it will be back in a while depending on the offers they do.

Does anybody know of any websites or shops that do great deals on tanks often or is it a matter of just keeping an eye out when one comes up?

I'll post up the offer and see what people think! I know some people will probably recognise the offer but as I said its from a good while ago.

The offer was a 220lt north star tank with a cabinet, with a free canister filter. The total price was a few cents off €450.

So is this offer any good? What about the tank make? will I find better??

So thats it really!
    Also please add any personal remarks about tanks you've bought or where to buy! any info appreciated really!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

New tanks are very expensive and lose their value dramatically as soon as water is put in it. My advice would be to get the biggest tank you can afford/accommodate as you will almost certainly in time wish you had got the bigger tank.

Have a look around averts.ie and you should see some second hand tanks for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Definitely go second hand, with a bit of patience and hunting you can expect to pay about 1 euro per litre volume. The package you're talking about wouldn't go for more than €250 second hand and you might get a few extras like substrate, ornaments, heater etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

Second hand is a much better option. If you join some of the aquarist forums and keep an eye on the for sale section or even put up a thread looking for a specific tank you'll be sure to find one. They are usually in good shape and a lot of the time you can get filters, heaters, stands etc for a bargain too. As said, go for the biggest you can because eventually you'll want it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Loads of 2nd hand complete tank setups for sale over on the Irish Fish Forum.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

450euro for a 220L? They would want to be installing it for that price full of fish and everything else you need.

I bought my 3 tanks on www.adverts.ie

I got a 125 rio with cabinet and inter filter for 150euro

98L square fluval tank with external and cabinet for 100euro

450L rio 400 with cabinet, external filter, heater, every single thing needed for 500euro.

Decide what kind of space you have first of all

Very good point by Sleepy, dont pay more than 1euro per Litre.

I have a 220L Hex tank and stand for sale if interested with filter heater etc. Havent put it up for sale yet but will be going on adverts.ie next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

If I had to do it again, I'd ONLY buy 2nd hand! I bought a boys tl550 last year, which comes with a stand and extras for marine (I have it as a cold freshwater) for 280. But I bought a 98l aquel tank a few months ago for 80! And that had tonnes of extras!

I'm not saying that every 2nd hand tank will be a true bargain, but you'll get more for your money, and usually some advice from the person! Plus, if it doesn't work out for ya, it's less painful to part ways

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Im not even going to say what my 2 large tanks and equipement cost me.

One was from Petstop in Swords,as a new shop opening deal (haggled like mad with the store manager).

The other tank is a custom built cabinet,tank and sump setup up from Seahorse Aquariams.

If you are only starting out or on a tight budget,then go with 2nd hand equipement and get a feel for everything and fish keeping in general.:)

Advertisement