Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride On Mower - Deals to be had ?

Options
  • 12-07-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All -

Apologies if this seems to be a repeat post. All the ones I saw were a few years old at this stage. Just wondering what the current state is in this space with regard to the recession (depression!!). Are there "deals" to be had ?

I am based in Galway. I have a 3/4 acre to cut. Gentle incline at front of house (Rises 1.5 meters over a distance of 35 meters). Back is level.

I'm looking for 42" deck (48" at a push if price is right) and good horse power to get the job done well and get around quickly. And will last a while. Would rather buy new, second hand mowers can be dodgy I've heard.

Are there any liquidation sales / deals to be had ? Maybe buying in Northern Ireland ?

Makes I've looked at:
    - Husqvarna
    - Honda
    - Jonsered
    - Craftsman
    - Castlegarden

Engines:
    - Briggs & Stratton - Heard these are a good engine.
    - Kawasaki - How does this engine rate ?
    - Kohler - How does this engine rate ?
    - Honda - How does this engine rate ?

Who/where are the "best" dealers that are willing to bargain ? (PM me if this contraviens Dealers advertising).

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi,

I'm also looking for a good value mower, but probably second hand as on a very small budget.

I'm a little confused about which is the best type of lawnmower for cutting a pitch 9500 m2 (2.25 acres approx very level).
    For a start on a very low budget €1000 - will go to €1300 max for a good bargain (I know my choice is going to be limited)

Countax - has been recommended, but I see good and bad reviews. Is it possible that the machines are not being serviced correctly or being mis-used or are they just sh1te?
    Westwood - as above
    Castlegarden - people tell me there too lite (not robust)
    Husqvarna - told they are very reliable and east to service
    Honda - told very reliable
    Viking - reliable
    John Deere/Murray/MTD - ????

Originally was looking for 18hp 40+" deck with grass collection.
    Told by dealer that 13.5HP would be good enough as pitch is level and grass will be kept short.
    He is offering a Honda 2313 for €1000 - is this good value?

Any views, information or advice appreciated Anyone with one for sale?

DoneDeal - Presume you have tried it (some sales in Galway)
    AM Rentals Newry - offering good value (if you can supply a VAT no.)
    Local Hire Companies - might have good offers for a straight cash deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Bravobabe... What dealer was selling the honda for 1000 euros? Btw did you purchase in the end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi Jayo99, It was a place in Navan selling s/h Hondas.
    Don't see any ADs for him at the moment (Donedeal).
    If you PM me I will forward on his number - if you want to follow up.

I'm looking for one for a Club. Could not get the Treasurer to give the go-ahead, but looks like we are getting a old Westwood via a contact for < €1000.
    Will let you know what it looks like?

Advertisement