Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gear for the Camino?

Options
  • 12-07-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all.

I'm going doing the camino de santiago in Spain in August for 5 weeks, next month.

I am on a limited budget and here a few of the things I need to get for the walk;

Walking shoes/boots

Sandles - straps

Socks - bridgedale preferably

Light poncho

wide rimmed hat

50L max rucksack with waist strap

Silk sleeping bag lining

I'm looking to buy the items preferable second hand or else new.

I am living in the Cork city area.

Do you know of any second hand stores or shops in the Cork area?

Do you know of any websites whereby you could buy the stuff for a good price, maybe even second hand?

I am looking for quality shoes + rucksack and I am not too concerned about the rest.

I would be open to buying from anybody who may have some of the stuff in the Cork area.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Mahers on Oliver Plunkett street or Hillwalkers in Union Chandlery on Penrose Wharf. TK Max is probably worth a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 iredia

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know anywhere I can get some used gear?

Is there any online website?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

The forums on ukclimbing.com and climbing.ie both have a gear for sale section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

www.adverts.ie has a good bit of gear going including some decent rucksacks.

Personally I wouldn't buy shoes from anywhere but a shop. You need to try them on and make sure they are comfortable. You also need to break them in before doing something like the camino - you don't want to get blisters over there.

tkmax for socks - and you may pick up some decent trekking trousers there too - I got a pair of Craghoppers for 20 euro recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 solsqeez

Pack as little as possible!!!! One set of clothes to wear and one to wash and dry. So many peregrinos end up posting more than half their stuff in a package to santiago de compostela to pick up at the end, because they find their ruck sack too heavy.

50 litre is way too large in my opinion, 35 litre would be large enough.
    Hiking runners should be enough and a pair of flip flops for the evening.

You can always buy things along the way. You will be walking through villages every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 iredia

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your replies!! You have been a great help!!

I was just wondering if anybody would know where to get a product called pyrethrin, which is suppose to be very good to repel bed bugs.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Bring as little as you can get away with, and make it as light as possible. I did it a few years back, and I had a large rucksack packed with things, and within a couple of days my shoulders had swollen to a few times their normal size! All the albergos and hostels have areas for washing, so you only need a minimal amount of clothes. The weather can get very inclement in that part of Spain, so make sure you have good quality rain gear. And, not to point out the obvious, ensure your shoes are up to scratch, and that you're worn them in beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daithi2004

Hi iredia, I have just come accross this post. How did you get on? I am hoping to do oy next year.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Daithi2004 wrote: »
    Hi iredia, I have just come accross this post. How did you get on? I am hoping to do oy next year.:D
    yeah me too i done it in 2007 on the bike fantastic trip but hard some big hills to get over, i was with a few lads we had a support wagon with us all the way stayed in hotels booked them a year in advance went in september so hotels were very reasonable .;)

Advertisement