Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twelfth = St. Patricks Day

• 13-07-2012 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭

Was at my first Twelfth parade today (was right outside my house) and it got me thinking is that the twelfth is the Unionist version of St. Patricks Day?

If you take a step back, cut out the crap of going places where you are not welcome (marching in a nationalist area) and the burning of Tricolours at the bonfires are they not kinda the same?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

This should be good.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

6679 wrote: »
    Was at my first Twelfth parade today (was right outside my house) and it got me thinking is that the twelfth is the Unionist version of St. Patricks Day?

If you take a step back, cut out the crap of going places where you are not welcome (marching in a nationalist area) and the burning of Tricolours at the bonfires are they not kinda the same?

st patricks is celebrated all over the world, the 12th is celebrated by bigots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yeah if St. Patrick's day is a celebration of the slaughter and misery of protestant people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

But that's all it is - sheer bigoted triumphalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Yeah if St. Patrick's day is a celebration of the slaughter and misery of protestant people.

Is it not? All these wasted years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭6679

Would unionists celebrate Paddys day at all? As I very much doubt any Catholics would be celebrating the twelfth.

From what I observed some aspects of it seemed to be the same, lot of showing your colours, family day out and everyone drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

alproctor wrote: »
    This should be good.....

It wont be :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

In other countries, maybe. Not here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

But if you cut out the crap, it ceases to exist at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

St Patricks day = religious Holiday ie "saints day" with religious connotations of getting rid of the de pagans out of The country. Certainly bigoted to pagans IMO....

That said - both involve

Matching
    Bands
    Wet weather (usually)
    Historical myths
    Tv coverage
    International following

So def something there :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

A brief summary of what the twelfth of July celebrations really mean.

The twelfth of July is a day celebrated in Ireland by Irish men who want to be English men, who march in July to commemorate a Dutch man (who killed an English man)

Its very confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Funny thing is, Saint Patrick's Day isn't just a Catholic festival - it's also recognized by the Anglican Church and several other protestant churches. "The Twelfth" is just a triumphalist and sectarian celebration organized by the Orange Order and their minions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

So you are calling most Northern Protestants and a fair bit of Northern Ireland Catholics bigots then? Poor effort. To say nothing of some people in the Republic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Ghandee wrote: »
    A brief summary of what the twelfth of July celebrations really mean.

The twelfth of July is a day celebrated in Ireland by Irish men who want to be English men, who march in July to commemorate a Dutch man (who killed an English man)

Its very confusing.

A brief summary of what St. Patrick's Day celebrations really mean.

The 17th of March is a day celebrated in Ireland by Irish men who want to get drink, who march in March to commemorate an English man who was a slave.

Its very confusing.

getzls wrote: »
    So you are calling most Northern Protestants and a fair bit of Northern Ireland Catholics bigots then? Poor effort. To say nothing of some people in the Republic.

No, I think he's just referring to the tricolour burning, bonfire lighting, loyalist band supporters who sing anti catholicism songs, and anti Irish songs on the 11th night at the bonfire/pissup. And prob sol the members of the orange order (an order that, in its very nature its entirely bigoted in everything it represents and stands for)

As for the 'fair bit of catholics' I presume your not referring to the poor souls in areas like Ballymena, Randalstown.etc, who through fear of being burnt out/ jumped on for a few weeks leading up to the parades, and likewise after it, are afraid to leave their houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Are they moving it next year, i thought it was the 17th

Stinicker wrote: »

The 17th of March is a day celebrated in Ireland by Irish men who want to get drink, who march in March to commemorate an English man who was a slave.

Its very confusing.

What's confusing about wanting to drink to your national patron saint, regardless of his nationality (which was widely believed to be Welsh incidentally)

There's no Triumphalism in saint Patricks day, none at all :confused:

(especially not over religion)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I went to one of those orange parades in rossnowlagh when i was a kid to see my cousins play, twas a grand day out and near the beach. Its mostly just a family gathering, a celebration of a culture and harmless enough. Saying that I probably wouldnt go to one in the north because they are a lot more knackers about.:p

I like patricks day too because of the massive ****ing piss-up element of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

I seriously doubt it.
    What do they think of all of those tri-colours with KAT (Kill All Taigs) written on them?

I think a march on the 12th of July should be encouraged in every town in Ireland, would guarantee us all one day of good weather a year at least.

• Advertisement

Glassheart wrote: »
    I seriously doubt it.
    What do they think of all of those tri-colours with KAT (Kill All Taigs) written on them?

harmless fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I think it would be more accurate to compare it with the annual KKK rally. St. Patrick's day is an inclusive event. The twelfth is an exclusive event for bigots, racists and sectarian morons. I've never seen a bonfire on St Patrick's day burning the names of massacred civilians, like was done on one Twelfth bonfire.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I think it would be more accurate to compare it with the annual KKK rally. St. Patrick's day is an inclusive event. The twelfth is an exclusive event for bigots, racists and sectarian morons. I've never seen a bonfire on St Patrick's day burning the names of massacred civilians, like was done on one Twelfth bonfire.

Do they not burn some sheep effigies or something? That's the only thing I can think of St. Patrick triumphing over. Well snakes too but that's be a dodgy bonfire once people brought their own things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It is inclusive, UTV showed a norweigan girl in the parade:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Do they not burn some sheep effigies or something? That's the only thing I can think of St. Patrick triumphing over. Well snakes too but that's be a dodgy bonfire once people brought their own things.

fail troll:pac:

Taken from a bonfire site last night.

Harmless fun I tells ya.

Glassheart wrote: »
    I seriously doubt it.
    Of course that's wrong as with the insult to the Bloody Sunday dead. How many KAT flags? Any child can write these things. Yes some bonfires burn the Irish flag. The Union flag is burned on some Interment day bonfires, not really a bit deal imo.

Harmless fun I tells ya.

Google Interment Day bonfire photos.:cool: Yes, it is harmless.

Google Interment Day bonfire photos.:cool: Yes, it is harmless.

Interment day.....

Union flags get burned in disgust at how a former British government threw thousands of innocent men and women in camps (like the nazis) without juries or trials. Many imprisoned for years. (without any crime being committed)

The flag represents the disgust in a government, not a religion.

(but then again, you already knew that) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Harmless fun I tells ya.

The terrible thing about that is that they're burning a flag that represents peace and unity between Protestants and Catholics; the orange representing Protestants, the green representing Catholics and the white representing peace and unity.

If burning the tricolour is one of the main events on their community's calender, then it really shows you how deeply ingrained sectarianism is in their culture. Imagine if we burned the Union Jack in a large bonfire for Saint Patrick's Day.

So as a Protestant and an Irishman i am free to join the A.O.H. Whoops! No Prods please. Bit KKK there too then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

A day for a bunch of fat bigots to march and act the clown over an event that no one else remembers.

So as a Protestant and an Irishman i am free to join the A.O.H. Whoops! No Prods please. Bit KKK there too then?

Don't know, don't care. I'm not sure what relevance it has to what I posted. I doubt I could join them either, as I'm not a Catholic. What's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

gozunda wrote: »
    St Patricks day = religious Holiday ie "saints day" with religious connotations of getting rid of the de pagans out of The country. Certainly bigoted to pagans IMO....

That said - both involve

Matching
    Bands
    Wet weather (usually)
    Historical myths
    Tv coverage
    International following

So def something there :)

When I saw the title, was thinking along the same lines as gozunda. But would only be the same if all hatred was taken out of the 12th. It's a really tough subject as the 12th is really just a "Eff you catholics" type of day. But the whole list that gozunda made is true, take religion and the hating of each other out of it, and they're damn similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

how many parades do the A.O.H organize in loyalist area each year?
    how many union jacks do they burn within sight of unionists?

• Advertisement

Don't know, don't care. I'm not sure what relevance it has to what I posted. I doubt I could join them either, as I'm not a Catholic. What's your point?

You compared the 12th parade to the KKK, i could compare the same for the AOH. Compare one then you have to compare the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Stinicker wrote: »

Its very confusing.
    You must be protestant.

You compared the 12th parade to the KKK, i could compare the same for the AOH. Compare one then you have to compare the other.

No I didn't. I compared the events surrounding the twelfth to that of a KKK rally. They burn flags/symbols to intentionally antagonise their neighbours, write offensive and sectarian messages about their neighbours, disrespect the memory of slaughtered civilians, all the while intentionally inciting violence and hatred.

I don't give a monkeys about the AOH, but the day they start doing all of the above - I'll start condemning them too.

Try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The funny thing is the Pope backed William of Orange.

Probably not something discussed down the Shankill.

12th does to an extent equal Paddy's Day.

Both total s***e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

rabble rabble.

Look past the minority, most of us have moved on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement