Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GU10 NIGHTMARE

Options
  • 13-07-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hi guys
    I recently put in 2 4 bulb lights there gu10 ( 8 BULBS IN TOTAL) and the bulbs keep going Im getting around 2 weeks from each I tried a led and after 3 weeks that went just there.
    Heres the background
    Used to be a single screw type fitting that consantly blew the bulbs every two months the kitchen is on the same ring thats worse its a 3 bulb fitting NOT GU10 and only seems to stabalise when the last bulb is left,
    recently replaced the switches in the room and the fittings tought the first batch was due to cheap bulbs however there is an issue with vibration from "bigfoot" upstairs.
    Im getting 235 into the fitting but the wiring seems fine at the price these bulbs are Im going out of my mind checked for heat dissapation and the top into the cieling while warm is fine but the bulbs are enclosed in stainless which does heat up a scary amount.
    could it be a fault on the ring or am I just unlucky??

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi guys
    I recently put in 2 4 bulb lights there gu10 ( 8 BULBS IN TOTAL) and the bulbs keep going
    Halogen GU10s are generally never very good IMHO. You may have installed some from a bad batch that were shaken badly in transit.

I tried a led and after 3 weeks that went just there.

There are plenty of cheap and nasty GU10 LED lamps for sale.
    Used to be a single screw type fitting that consantly blew the bulbs every two months the kitchen is on the same ring thats worse its a 3 bulb fitting NOT GU10 and only seems to stabalise when the last bulb is left,
    Coincidence I would think.
    recently replaced the switches in the room and the fittings tought the first batch was due to cheap bulbs however there is an issue with vibration from "bigfoot" upstairs.
    Vibration can be a problem at times.
    If the switches were not dimmers it would not make any difference.

Im getting 235 into the fitting
    235VAC is OK. If the meter is not something professional like a Fluke it could easily be out you 10V anyway.
    but the wiring seems fine at the price these bulbs are Im going out of my mind checked for heat dissapation and the top into the cieling while warm is fine but the bulbs are enclosed in stainless which does heat up a scary amount.
    I doubt that your wiring is the issue. I would suggest buying good quality LED lamps.

This is the best place to find out more information

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

cheers for the reply I never even seen the other thread all hidden away right in front of me :o
    The phillips master it is

Ps no I dont want to buy them from the manufacturer my local providers will be more than adequate thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

I was having the exact same issue. I got some cheap gu10s in Dealz in Blanchardstown,2 pack for €1.49,thinking they would hopefully do until I decide what LED's to get. The are going nearly 2mths,havn't lost a single one. The dearer/branded ones I couldn't get a week out of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Rangi wrote: »
    I was having the exact same issue. I got some cheap gu10s in Dealz in Blanchardstown,2 pack for €1.49,thinking they would hopefully do until I decide what LED's to get. The are going nearly 2mths,havn't lost a single one. The dearer/branded ones I couldn't get a week out of.

Theres an issue of heat build up with normal GuU0s.Normal GU10s get so hot,they you cannot handle them at all with your bare hand.You would get severe burns.

So you couldnt get a week out of the likes of a Philips Master 4watt GU10 LED then???;)

Advertisement