Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

carb vs fuel injection sv 650

• 13-07-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering which would be the best for strictly w end summer driving. Doing my ibt when i get back from my honeymoon end of august and looking at getting a restricted sv 650. Im 28 and would have messed about on 125s when i was younger but want to get licence now. The carb models are going for decent money or would i be better off paying extra few quid for a fuel injected model? Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Hi all, just wondering which would be the best for strictly w end summer driving. Doing my ibt when i get back from my honeymoon end of august and looking at getting a restricted sv 650. Im 28 and would have messed about on 125s when i was younger but want to get licence now. The carb models are going for decent money or would i be better off paying extra few quid for a fuel injected model? Thanks

Both are as reliable as each other TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

mate i wold go for the newer model if i could afford it - so fuel injected for me. and SV 650 is twin beast - i like them a lot. you can find "03" for no money - i mean cheap. :) gl with your decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Bikerguy wrote: »

mate i wold go for the newer model if i could afford it - so fuel injected for me. and SV 650 is twin beast - i like them a lot. you can find "03" for no money - i mean cheap. :) gl with your decision

Just bought a carbed SV-S for the SO myself, the bike being in good condition is more important than whether carbed or injected. I got a mint 02 bike, 9k miles on it, for 1900.

I wouldn't attach any extra value to an injected one, tbh..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

galwaytt wrote: »
    Just bought a carbed SV-S for the SO myself, the bike being in good condition is more important than whether carbed or injected. I got a mint 02 bike, 9k miles on it, for 1900.

I wouldn't attach any extra value to an injected one, tbh..

a lot of new/better features were added to bike after the newer model came on market in 03 mate. but either way its a solid bike, also for few more e you could get 2003 injected beast i am talking about 2k-2,2k budget.

9k miles is nothing for that bike. it should go through 50k+m with gentle owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Can I stick an ore in..... I had a K5 model and picked that one after HUGE amount of research, my main reason was that in 2005 the perfected the model and changed the frame to black. The K3 had problems and was replaced by the K4, the K4 also had some minor issues and was then replaced by the K5 which was around really until 2008-9 (with only minor changes)

The K5 is a solid, great looking bike with easy access to parts because you can use such a large year span, where as the K3 and K4 nearly have all individual parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Bikerguy wrote: »
    a lot of new/better features were added to bike after the newer model came on market in 03 mate. but either way its a solid bike, also for few more e you could get 2003 injected beast i am talking about 2k-2,2k budget.

9k miles is nothing for that bike. it should go through 50k+m with gentle owner.

.....as she's coming back to bikes after nearly 10 years off the road, we'd only be splitting atoms buying a newer one. I fully expect her to drop it at least once :cool:

...And, being a bit cheaper, it freed up some €€'s for insurance, training (I made her do it), lowered suspension, full front-back service and span new tyres. As she only spins on it for a few hours a week, this bike could easily outlive me.

Oh, and it came with a lovely Carbon Co pipe on it too. Very Ducati-ish.....sound :P But without the trauma :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Thanks for the replies lads. Looking forward to getting back doing some proper riding and the sv 650 really is appealing to me so hopefully after the ibt I'll go shopping. Herself isn't giving me too much earache bout it and had to laugh at her lookin at the pink shark helmets when I picked up some safety gear few weeks ago :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

If it's of any interest to you, I have a full power ecu for a pointy sv 650 should you happen to pick up a factory restricted one and decide to upgrade at some point in the future.

Advertisement