Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete Novice Flyer Advice

Options
  • 13-07-2012 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Advice for Complete novices, what type planes best to build first etc. Any place to learn and ask questions from seasoned builder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hi There,

I'm a little unsure about your goals here.

Are you completely new to R/C flying and want to get a plane in the air
    OR
    Have you flown planes before and a competent flier and now you want to build a plane from scratch i.e. a kit?

If the former then I suggest not building from a kit first time round. What would be best is an ARTF (Almost Ready To Fly) plane. This only takes a couple of hours to get it flight ready and then you can fly. Scratch kits can takes weeks to build.

If it's the latter then I'm not really in a position to answer that but somebody will be along shortly to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭haribos

Hey, basically im completely new to flying ! Ive looked at a few of those ARTF kits but there does not seem to be a lot of information as to build difficulty. Will some models be easier to fly even then others?

Is there a nice model of plane from experience that a beginner could build and fly without too much issue, also are they strong? I can imagine there will be a few accidents involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

haribos wrote: »
    Hey, basically im completely new to flying ! Ive looked at a few of those ARTF kits but there does not seem to be a lot of information as to build difficulty.

Well, in this case you definitely want to go for an ARTF plane. ARTF means the plane has been built up nearly completely, with the exception of the bulky pieces like wing, undercarriage and tail fins.

Here are 2 common starter models.

Jumper 25 - I learned to fly on this.
    Tutor 40

Apart from the final construction of the plane you just need to fit the engine, fuel tank and electronics. All in all it takes just a few hours to complete.

Most ARTFs are easy to build, especially those aimed at beginners.

Checkout these videos on what is involved in ARTF construction:

Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6
    Will some models be easier to fly even then others?

Yes, this is very important. The flying characteristics of a plane really boil down to the wing position (high, mid, low) and type (symmetric, tapered etc) of the plane. For a beginner you want a "high wing" type plane like the two I have linked to above. These are easiest to fly and the most forgiving.. they also glide really well if the engine cuts out.
    Is there a nice model of plane from experience that a beginner could build and fly without too much issue, also are they strong? I can imagine there will be a few accidents involved!

See the two planes I have linked to above. I have experience with both these planes and in general they are strong enough to put up with beginner knocks. They are also basic enough that they can be easily repaired.

--
    Are you considering getting into flying? if so then what is your budget and I can help you put together a shopping list of essentials.

Also, this just crossed my mind: I am currently in the process of upgrading to a more advanced plane and radio gear. I have a heap of stuff here and could put together a package of plane/engine/electronics and radio to get you started. I don't have a plane so if you liked you could pick a trainer and I could build it for you with all my gear and do a deal with you.

Where are you located? If you intend on taking this great hobby seriously you will need to get yourself some flying tuition through a buddy lead system with an experience flier.

Advertisement