Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What a koad of me arse

• 13-07-2012 3:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

A key suggestion will be to extend regular vehicle checks across the European Union to two- and three-wheel vehicles, not the case in a number of countries -- Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal and Romania.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/eu-wants-life-saver-tests-cars-motorbikes-160751041.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

juice1304 wrote: »
    A key suggestion will be to extend regular vehicle checks across the European Union to two- and three-wheel vehicles, not the case in a number of countries -- Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal and Romania.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/eu-wants-life-saver-tests-cars-motorbikes-160751041.html

I think its a good idea.If you have a good propper roadworthy working machine and you look after it,then you have nothing to fear.

This test of motorbikes will take alot of unroadworthy/unsafe machines off the road.

This test wil also make people be more responsible for their machines and keeping them in propper safe working order.

I would be in favour of a test for bikes.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Five people die on Europe's roads every day in accidents linked to technical faults

What's the population of Europe? And what percentage of that does 5 people make up?

How many die because of Drink/Drug related accidents? Utter load of ****e if you ask me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

paddy147 wrote: »
    I think its a good idea.If you have a good propper roadworthy working machine and you look after it,then you have nothing to fear.

This test of motorbikes will take alot of unroadworthy/unsafe machines off the road.

This test wil also make people be more responsible for their machines and keeping them in propper safe working order.

How many unsafe non roadworthy bikes are around?
    Who will do the testing?
    How much will a test cost?
    How much will a retest cost?
    What age of bike is exempt from testing?
    Bikers tend to be pretty good at keeping their machines in good working order, in a car its pretty easy to drive around with a flat tyre or a brake that doesn't work, because there are 3 other wheels, on a bike you'd be aware pretty much immediately if there was a problem.
    What percentage of injuries/fatalities have been caused by motorcycle faults in the last 5 years?
    You'd be the first to complain when your Ducati fails the emissions test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

personally wouldnt be in favour of an untrained monkey rag my bike, having signed a disclaimer exonerating them for any potiental damage to said bike, and paying 80e a year for the pleasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Doesnt seem to work for cars............nct seems to be at the drivers discretion....

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    How many unsafe non roadworthy bikes are around?
    Who will do the testing?
    How much will a test cost?
    How much will a retest cost?
    What age of bike is exempt from testing?
    Bikers tend to be pretty good at keeping their machines in good working order, in a car its pretty easy to drive around with a flat tyre or a brake that doesn't work, because there are 3 other wheels, on a bike you'd be aware pretty much immediately if there was a problem.
    What percentage of injuries/fatalities have been caused by motorcycle faults in the last 5 years?
    You'd be the first to complain when your Ducati fails the emissions test.

How many non roadworthy/unsafe cars are there on the roads?

How many non roadworthy/unsafe bikes are on the roads?

Answer is no one actually knows.

So thats a pointless question to ask,in my opinion.

Car owners in general tend to be pretty good at keeping their cars in a good state of condition too.

Alot of the questions cannot be answered,until such a test is actually put in place or the actual rules are given out,about the test and how it will work.

PS-When my car and jeep failed the NCT and DOE before,I didnt come onto an internet forum whinging and complaining about it.I simply got the faults fixed and got the jeep and car restested and got them passed 2nd time around.

Must be my old age kicking in here.

Time for my electric mobility cart so.:D

RosieJoe wrote: »
    What's the population of Europe? And what percentage of that does 5 people make up?

How many die because of Drink/Drug related accidents? Utter load of ****e if you ask me!

Regardless of population,5 people a day is still too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

yes but I think this will probably do nothing to reduce that statistic....as the untrustworthy vehicles are in the main owned by people who will continue to break the law and bring them out on the road without a test anyway - like the bangers I see teetering around the place here and in estates all the time

basically...if it was to be enforced and operated properly its probably a good idea but being a pessimist I just see a money making scheme for more parasites with clipboards with little or no benefit in terms of safety for raod users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Just a thought here but I can't help but I wonder if a legal requirement regarding how regularly the vehicle is serviced might perhaps be better and more acceptable to people. Most people probably already get their bike regularly serviced, since their own safety is dependent upon knowing that it's all in working order, and so the only change they would experience would be that they would need to have proof of this servicing with them when on the road.

The NCT has been shown to have a number of problems, e.g. with staff taking bribes to pass unsafe vehicles (as was shown in the documentary on RTE regarding taxis) and problems with the equipment being unsuitable for some cars (my uncle was repeatedly failed on headlights even though a number of garages could find nothing wrong, in the end it turned out that the sensor was too high relative to the height of the lights on that model of car).

I think Wossack raises a good point, in that if they do go the NCT-style route they should at the very least require all testers to be trained sufficiently to ensure that they do not damage bikes in the process and also that they have some insight into the significance of a specific test (and more importantly whether any problems could be quickly rectified or should the vehicle be scrapped) beyond it just being another tick on a list. If people have to worry about a test, that's supposed to be for their own safety, damaging their bike, and so possibly risking their safety, getting them to agree to it will be quite an uphill struggle. All you need is one person to have a mishap due to damage after a test (even if it was possibly there before the test but missed by the tester) and there'd be a media circus, leaving others unwilling to risk the same.

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I think it's a good idea to test bikes. Obviously enthusiasts such as posters here find it an unnecessary intrusion because they keep their machines in good order, but many do not, and they need to be assessed. My big concern would be that classic bikes will be scrapped if they can't meet the criteria - much like the scooter purge a few years ago in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I agree but my point was aimed at the little figure they are talking about when they are other factors that contribute to more fatalities that should be addressed first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I don't want to pay 55euro for a NBT every year because there is a small percentage of people out there on bikes which are not road worthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

All it is is another money spinner. There will still be piles of you know what floating around on the road no matter what and it's not going to have any impact on deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Reku wrote: »
    Just a thought here but I can't help but I wonder if a legal requirement regarding how regularly the vehicle is serviced

You've just outlawed home servicing :rolleyes:

If this is brought in here it's almost certain it'd be done through the bike shops, plenty of opportunities to rip people off. Very very few bike shops in this country are remotely trustworthy or competent imho. Setting up centres to test bikes (or adapting NCT centres) would cost way too much money for the small number of bikes in this country.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

So, under the rules the EU want to bring in, if you own a motorbike and a car over 6 years old, both would have to be tested EVERY year!
    I have my bike serviced every year by a motorcycle mechanic in a nearly town, if i have any problems inbetween services that i cannot deal with myself i take the bike over to him to get him to check it over. I wouldnt agree with a nct type system mainly because a person with say a 10 year old car can get an nct on a monday, have an accident that evening leaving the car driveable but possibly not roadworthy/safe -yet they have a certificate that is good for a whole year! I know this would be an extreme case but i know of people who have done it! To me having an NCT proves nothing!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/eu-proposes-tougher-testing-rules-for-aging-cars-558996.html

The European Commission is proposing new rules under which six-year-old cars would need an NCT every year.

Under the current legislation, cars over four years old are tested every two years, and only cars over 10 years old are tested every year.

The Commission's proposals would also mean compulsory tests for motorbikes and scooters.

"Given such a high percentage of motorcycle accidents are due to technical problems, it does not make sense that these vehicles are not subject to testing," a Commission statement said.

"This is especially the case as motorbike and scooter riders, particularly young riders, are the highest risk group of road users."

The suggested rules must now be approved by both the European Parliament and member states before becoming law.

"If you're driving a car which is not fit to be on the road, you're a danger to yourself and to everyone else in your car – your family, your friends, your business colleagues," Commissioner for Transport Siim Kallas said.

"What's more, you’re a danger to all the other road users around you.

"It's not complicated; we don't want these potentially lethal cars on our roads."

It's just another scam. I keep my bike serviced regularly. I don't want to pay the government for a car "mechanic" to tell me what I already know, my bike is safe and roadworthy.

chasm wrote: »
    <EU Commission said>"Given such a high percentage of motorcycle accidents are due to technical problems,

Bollocks, pure and simple. The EU Commission have had an anti-bike agenda for many many years now.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

It's still a load of crap.
    Recent studies from the UK and Germany indicate that up to 10% of cars at any point in time have a defect that would cause them to fail the tests.

But in the UK and Germany they already have vehicle testing including bikes. Logical fail. Seems to me the answer is to get the police off their butts and deal with unroadworthy vehicles they see on the road, rather than just leaving it up to the NCT or MOT or TUV or whatever. A periodic vehicle test only really catches out the law-abiding, those who don't give a damn and are willing to take their chances of (not) being caught on the roads won't care.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Another thing is are these guys in the test centers actually holders of a bike licence ?? Are they going to know how to handle a 250 - 300 kilo machine ???

I f*cking doubt it . Not a chance will I let anyone other than a trained mechanic near my pride and joy :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

According to figures produced by MAG in 2010, less than 1% of motorbike accidents are due to mechanical fault and this is the same across Europe.

If there aren't enough bikers in Ireland to justify the removal of the wire barriers then how are there enough bikers in Ireland to justify something that will cost the state a lot of money in new equipment, training of bike mechanics and the opening up of NBT centres across the country.

I don't see it happening here to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Dunno how I'd feel about this. I know a few guys on bikes though, who barely know how to oil the chain. One of them has never tightened his chain and didn't even know it was something that should be done.

Another pal had never heard of the IBT, yet got his learner permit and insurance with no issues. Why the hell does nobody ask to see the IBT cert, ever? I know of gardai in the traffic corps, ON BIKES, who have never heard of the IBT. Also, when applying for my full license after passing my test, they never asked for the IBT cert. WTF?

If there was a bit more common sense, it'd be a good start.

I think most of us on the forum would keep our bikes well, etc., etc., and not see the point...but there are people out there who just ride them and don't give a cr*p about understanding or maintaining them.

I would love to know how many accidents were down to a bike fault though. I would say it's insignificantly low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

rat_race wrote: »
    I would love to know how many accidents were down to a bike fault though. I would say it's insignificantly low.
    The MAIDS study said that 0.7% of accidents were caused by a technical fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...unless they send all the NCT staff out to do their bike licence's, then they're not allowed on a bike.

So, they'll all be waiting 2+ years, and €600+ each for their licences ?

Sorry, but Applus ain't going to spend it.

And even if they do, they're still not getting on mine.

And people dying from faulty bikes in Irish roads ? Nope, don't believe that, either.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

ninja900 wrote: »
    You've just outlawed home servicing :rolleyes:

Doh, you're right, failed to consider that.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Only downside I can see to this is that they're going to regulate the **** out of what we can and can't put on our bikes with this.

They could possibly starting taxing us based on emissions, engine size, etc

edit ; as in at first it would be to remove non road worthy bikes

then they'd just use it as a method of enforcing any laws they want to pass regading regulating bikes.

Checking power levels, etc

They can pass laws and then use it as a method of enforcement of whatever ridiculous laws they want to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I think it's a nice side step into type approval for them.

Advertisement