Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat pulling fur out

• 13-07-2012 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Hi, i was wondering if anyone can give me advice . My cat has been pulling her fur out for the past week or so. She seems to be really miserable. I thought might be the wet weather but im not sure. We are treating her ears for ear mites at the moment too but why is she pulling her fur out? Thanks :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

What are you giving her for the ear mites? She could have fleas, mange or lice but if you gave a spot on thats unlikely. If it was a spot on you used she could possibly be having a reaction to it, is the skin inflammed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I have a cat who does this too. After him walking around with bald patches for a couple of weeks I brought him to the vet who says it is caused by a skin allergy - most likely to pollen - and the poor cat is feeling really irritated and itchy and so pulls out the fur in an attempt to get relief.

Unfortunately, this now means that every 4 - 6 weeks I have to bring said cat to the vet for an injection! Which is a bit of a pain (esp. as he freaks out every time and poos on the table in fright!), but the difference in him when he comes home is unbelievable. He definitely is happier, more relaxed and cuddlier.

Your cat obviously has some kind of skin irritation. It could be the mites, the treatment or some other kind of parasite.

Bring her to the vet to be on the safe side.

Just out of interest - where is she pulling the fur? Mine does it around the stomach and hind legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

Im giving her ear drops in the ears for the mites. I haven't given her the spot on treatment ill get it today. She is quite longhaired and moulting at the moment but pulling the fur out around her whole body. She also doesn't like being picked up anymore which she didn't mind before. She is just so miserable. Ill get the spot on today and if she isn't better by Monday ill bring her to the vet

Advertisement