Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

124,000 warrants never executed

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

well hopefully the 124,000 people to be arrested have jobs
    so then they get fired
    them BAM were back to a good eco, or at least most people on the dole will have a job ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

saiint wrote: »
    It isn't 124,000 people. The article pointed out people who have multiple warrants are counted in the 124,000.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jaysus, Dublin has a fair amount outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

saiint wrote: »

If you have one to your name it's likely you have another few

Frog Ward has four outstanding for him before he met his end, just an example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It isn't 124,000 people. The article pointed out people who have multiple warrants are counted in the 124,000.
    That makes it worse, imagine there are people out there walking free with muliple arrest warrants against them:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

We need Ash Ketchum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Add another 600 odd thousand warrants to that total for the non-payment of the household charge :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

We need Ash Ketchum!

Gotta catch em all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Pushtrak wrote: »

I agree but if a person has multiple warrants (for whatever) i do think they should be sought out and have them executed.

also its up to 124,000 from 1,142 in 2000 (a 10,758% increase) - thats a plain and simple disgrace - its giving the message "do the crime and never the time/punishment!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The PULSE system is a joke. It's an application slapped together by years of contractors who've come and gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I agree but if a person has multiple warrants (for whatever) i do think they should be sought out and have them executed.

also its up to 124,000 from 1,142 in 2000 (a 10,758% increase) - thats a plain and simple disgrace - its giving the message "do the crime and never the time/punishment!"

Article references more serious charges are prioritised and doesn't go into detail of what the outstanding warrants are for. A lot of them could be minor offences such as non payment of fines.

Edit:
    Also to note, its never mentioned, but I wouldn't be suprised if the problem could be related to a lack of prison space as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Article references more serious charges are prioritised and doesn't go into detail of what the outstanding warrants are for. A lot of them could be minor offences such as non payment of fines.
    Mick Wallace?

Mick Wallace?

Tax isn't a fine. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

smash wrote: »
    The PULSE system is a joke. It's an application slapped together by years of contractors who've come and gone.

It's one big massive csv file, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's one big massive csv file, right?
    It's an oracle db but with all the hacked in code it might as well be an access db.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

SocSocPol wrote: »
    And people wonder why some people have no regard for the law, why would they if they can just ignore the courts!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/almost-124000-garda-warrants-still-to-be-acted-on-3167405.html

but this is the irish independent, how do we know this news piece is true?
    apparently the independent has 'no agenda'

news to me :confused: how could they tell us lies?

VEN wrote: »
    but this is the irish independent, how do we know this news piece is true?
    apparently the independent has 'no agenda'

news to me :confused: how could they tell us lies?
    What are you on about, these are Dept of justice figures, quoted on RTE and other media as well, why are you trying to derail the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

What are you on about, these are Dept of justice figures, quoted on RTE and other media as well, why are you trying to derail the thread?

no, i believe it to be correct, the evidence is there, on the irish independant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

If there is a warrant for the arrest of someone with a murder charge, or assault, the gardai are looking for him. These are probably all minor offences.

What computer systems do is in fact ampify these warrants. A warrant for non-paid parking violation in Mayo which used to be kept in a cupboard in the barracks in Mayo is probably now on the computer system nationally. Which, I bet, explains the increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Edit:
    Also to note, its never mentioned, but I wouldn't be suprised if the problem could be related to a lack of prison space as well.

Yeah you have that, others would be when it is known the person is homless, or it is know they are not currently in the area etc, the can be many reason why they are not acted on.

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »
    Yeah you have that, others would be when it is known the person is homless, or it is know they are not currently in the area etc, the can be many reason why they are not acted on.
    None the less 124,000 unexecuted warrents does little to engender faith in the justice system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

None the less 124,000 unexecuted warrents does little to engender faith in the justice system.

Well that depends on a few things, I know loads of lads with minor warrents, if they were lifted there would be no space for them and they get a turn around. However, one of them does something serious and there is a car waiting for them outside my clinic, and if they don't get them there they get them somewhere else.

Something like that would not effect my faith in the justice system. Warrents IIRC have to be renewed every so often, especially for the minor ones; I would like to know how many of these would fall in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

24,000 belong to just 5 people from dublin the rest are shared out evenly between everyone from limerick :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

124,000 warrants never executed...

Add another possible 400,000 onto that if they don't pay their household tax and it should be some fun in the courts next year! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

They should allow bounty hunting for this kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I am the Dug. The big bad Dug the bounty hunter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

hate to be the people doing that paperwork
    its weird because their was a warrent for my mate
    (didnt pay his tax) YES I KNOW SCUMBAGGGGGG!!!!!

and the garda were at his door
    and this was well after 2011 his arrest warrent came to light
    he didnt he know ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

That makes it worse, imagine there are people out there walking free with muliple arrest warrants against them:mad:

The vast majority are for minor offences, it's not like we have thousands of gun-toting psychos prowling the streets.

The reason a lot of these don't get processed is the gardai simply don't have the time and resources to do it, and will obviously have to prioritise the ones involving more serious crimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Shocking levels of shite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Can I use my lasso?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

There's quite a few people avoiding summons for non-payment of speeding fines/tv licenses etc. When they are caught up with, they worst that happens is they report to prison, sign a form to say they were there and go home an hour later. There is no follow through on minor offences and word of that is beginning to spread, hence the exponential rise in figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Sometimes a better perspective can become apparent by looking problems like this in a different way. Given that the criminal justice system which we have created is and has been for many a day creaking at the seams, what would have been achieved had the entire 124,000 warrants been executed., i.e. the loading of 124K warrants onto the existing system ? In what way would that have facilitated the administration of justice given that the likely outcome would have resulted in the collapse of the entire system ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I'd imagine most of them are penal warrants for non payment of fines, gardai have enough to do without arresting people on penal warrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

:eek: Bit harsh. Though, if we executed all 124000, it would free up a fair bit of space etc. We could dig a big hole in Leitrim to bury them all in. What way do you want them executed? I'm thinking bet to death with old copies of the Daily Mail. Or made stand alongside a freshly chipped stretch of road - the flying stones would keep a Mullah happy, might be a bit hit and miss tho. I'm coming around to this execution idea, it seems entirely reasonable.

Pottler wrote: »
    :eek: Bit harsh. Though, if we executed all 124000, it would free up a fair bit of space etc. We could dig a big hole in Leitrim to bury them all in. What way do you want them executed? I'm thinking bet to death with old copies of the Daily Mail. Or made stand alongside a freshly chipped stretch of road - the flying stones would keep a Mullah happy, might be a bit hit and miss tho. I'm coming around to this execution idea, it seems entirely reasonable.

Or maybe execute the warrants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Or maybe execute the warrants?

No prison spaces. Make kneecapping an official punishment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I think I have a warrant for punching an asshole who tried to punch my then british girlfriend, for being british. I never even turned up at court that was like 6 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I think I have a warrant for punching an asshole who tried to punch my then british girlfriend, for being british. I never even turned up at court that was like 6 years ago.

Punching an asshole? Don't you mean fisting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Have you been stopped by guards since and had your name called over the radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

You should get this sorted if you are stopped and they do a check on you the bench warrant will show up and they will arrest you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

All those who think they have somehow slipped between the cracks in the floorboards might like to ponder this. Seems that the 124K warrants are now about to be computerised in a linkup system which automatically searches for 'unfinished law enforcement business' in respect of each name searched.
    Recalcitrance may not be an option for much longer if the errant one wishes to retain uninterrupted mobility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Why didn't you just go to court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I'd like to see it become impossible to collect social welfare, pay for anything by credit card, attend a hospital etc with an outstanding warrant.
    Most of these are for piddle shít stuff. They shouldn't be left hanging on, I doubt most of them are even trying very hard to avoid the Gardai anyway.

I'd like to see it become impossible to collect social welfare, pay for anything by credit card, attend a hospital etc with an outstanding warrant.
    Most of these are for piddle shít stuff. They shouldn't be left hanging on, I doubt most of them are even trying very hard to avoid the Gardai anyway.
    I'd love to see this too. But you would be denying people their basic human rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi all I was attacked only noticed how long ago back in 2007 in Sligo town on a night out was in pub then a club along the river and was drinking but not falling around or didnt say anything bad or look wrong at someone anyway the guy just came up behind and lay into my head didnt even know he was there eventually got him away and 2 of his friends grabbed him and apologised they believed he must have thought I was someone else. 5 mins later was talking to a few people just waiting on my friend and then yet again the same thing happened same guy but this time he had something in his hand and busted my eye. Blood all over me eventually got attention of guards who were great caught him and arrested him he then tried to get me again at the station. Didnt know him never met him still dont know why to this day went to court he never showed bench warrant out for him and still no sign of them getting him many years on

Hi all I was attacked only noticed how long ago back in 2007 in Sligo town on a night out was in pub then a club along the river and was drinking but not falling around or didnt say anything bad or look wrong at someone anyway the guy just came up behind and lay into my head didnt even know he was there eventually got him away and 2 of his friends grabbed him and apologised they believed he must have thought I was someone else. 5 mins later was talking to a few people just waiting on my friend and then yet again the same thing happened same guy but this time he had something in his hand and busted my eye. Blood all over me eventually got attention of guards who were great caught him and arrested him he then tried to get me again at the station. Didnt know him never met him still dont know why to this day went to court he never showed bench warrant out for him and still no sign of them getting him many years on

Punctuate!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I'd love to see this too. But you would be denying people their basic human rights.
    Pretty sure "free use of a credit card" isnt in the Convention. For the others, just link their pps # to the justice dept and when someone is flagged, Gardai are en route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Punctuate!!!!!!
    P**s O** Im not applying for a job oh no i didnt put capitals or spaces in wright place bothered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

We need Ash Ketchum!

No brah, we need Dog the bounty hunter!

Pretty sure "free use of a credit card" isnt in the Convention. For the others, just link their pps # to the justice dept and when someone is flagged, Gardai are en route.

Yeah all 124,000 of them. Meanwhile murder cases get nowhere. I had an warrant once, I moved house and missed a traffic violation, missed that I didn't pay the fine, and had sold the car so I didnt re-register the address for the car - which would have sent the increased fine I think. The result was a warrant.

Anyway I did find out about it and sort it but its the kind of thing that most of these warrants are for. You may have one.

They should not let people not turn up for assault cases in court - the Gardai should have tracked that down, for sure, but for the trivial ****e people get caught when they are otherwise pulled over for something else, and radioed in. And thats all the work the Gardai should do ( for me it was different, a background check, I still wouldnt know I as sold my car and never, therefore, meet the police or get pulled).

• Advertisement
Advertisement