Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

27th anniversary of Live Aid

• 13-07-2012 9:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

27 years ago today Live Aid took place.

I watched it all the way through and thoroughly enjoyed it. Queen were the stand out performers that day and their set and performance were my outstanding memory.

Anyone else have any thoughts/memories of the event?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I would of been 11 months old, so I'd remember as much about it as Status Quo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh Vienna.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I was a 13 year old growing up on a farm in Mayo. I marched out of the hay field declaring to my grumpy Dad that "This is more important than feeding cattle". My first teen strop was on that day!
    I remember loving U2 and Queen but being very impressed with Elvis Costello walking out with just a guitar and leading Wembly on a big sing along to "all you need is love' with the words written on his hand. Have been an Elvis fan ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Since when are we celebrating an odd number like '27' as a milestone?

Can we not wait 'til the 30th anniversary like ordinary decent folk!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Bad Panda wrote: »

Back in your animal sanctuary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The important thing was keeping several revolutionary leaders in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I feel old now! I can remember being sent out to play, I was 12 at the time and my parents didn't want us annoying them while it was on that afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

because 27th is a milestone anniversary?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Frank Zappa was invited to perform, but refused because he believed that money raised by Live Aid did not address the core problems facing the developing world. He also questioned the legitimacy of Live Aid, saying "I think Live Aid was the biggest cocaine money laundering scheme of all time."

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,014 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was working that day in my summer job as a filling station attendant. I recall donating £20 which was half my week's wages. And I though Tony Iommi was so cooool! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It was a great event. Did fuck all for Africa of course, but at least the music was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

like almost all financial aid given to African countries it just made the problem worse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I remember getting the stereo tuned into RTE, putting the speakers either side of my telly. Stereo TV!! :eek: OMFG!!. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh Vienna.

means nothing to me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Bad Panda wrote: »

so i made a fcuking cake for nothing then :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Frank Zappa was right, whouda thunk it.

I was 3. So I don't remember it. I do remember people still going on about it for at least five years afterwards though, as well as "Feed the world" being played almost constantly every Xmas for those five years. At least now you might only hear it two or three times during December.
    I also remember the primary school teachers wetting themselves about Africa at the time, "Eat your sandwich, there are starving children in Africa", etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

It gave Bob Geldof a job for life!....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

"Give us your fucking money!"

Strange how this always quoted yet Geldof never even said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I was 6, I vaguely remember it being on TV.....prob cos I couldn't watch cartoons instead!

Was in a mate's house a while ago, we were both drinking all day and he put on the dvd of it, I remember as much about the dvd as I do from watching it live when I was 6! It was a long day and I was tired and emotional.....tbh I just wanted him to put on his Smiths cd anyway :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

seamus wrote: »
    Frank Zappa was right, whouda thunk it.

I was 3. So I don't remember it. I do remember people still going on about it for at least five years afterwards though, as well as "Feed the world" being played almost constantly every Xmas for those five years. At least now you might only hear it two or three times during December.
    I also remember the primary school teachers wetting themselves about Africa at the time, "Eat your sandwich, there are starving children in Africa", etc.

My mother used the "starving Africans" ruse to get myself and my brother to eat our dinner, until the day we advised her to send it to them.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I remember getting the stereo tuned into RTE, putting the speakers either side of my telly. Stereo TV!! :eek: OMFG!!. :)

The speakers on the new LCD TVs are so bad that I am back to doing that, 27 fcuking years later :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

whiplashed wrote: »
    "Give us your fucking money!"

Strange how this always quoted yet Geldof never even said it.

really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ejmaztec wrote: »
    My mother used the "starving Africans" ruse to get myself and my brother to eat our dinner, until the day we advised her to send it to them.
    Our second class teacher threw an absolute fit one day because on the "lunch table" (where we all had to leave our lunches until lunchtime), there were tonnes of crusts and half-eaten sandwiches. She went on a big rant about eating your food and that there were children in Africa who would love to be able to have those crusts.
    She them got very frustrated trying to backtrack when the whole class started trying to discuss the best way to send those crusts to the starving African children.

I have no idea what idiot came up with that meme, but every bloody primary teacher in the 80's seemed fond of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Live Aid, the event that propelled Paula Yates to worldwide fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Bought the Box Set during the 20th Aniversery, bought back memories. We too had to be quiet when it was on as Mum was taping it onto cassette by holding the tape recorder beside the TV.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Great recovery from Mr Phil Collins. I'd say not many noticed it at the time.

Bum note 1:09.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

"Are there any metal maniacs here?"

Poor Judas Priest didn't even get televised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I was in my mammy's tummy, two months away from blessing the world with my presence. :)

She's told me that I was bopping away to Queen though. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

So has the problem been solved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Thought the thread title was '27th anniversary of Lidl'. :pac::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

I still have 6 VHS tapes in the attic and bought the DVD when released. A brilliant day spent in front of the box although I could have and probably should have gone to Wembley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

It gave Bob Geldof a job for life!....

Bono got jealous and wanted to out do him, in latter life

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

a lot to answer for,the beginning of the trend to piss money against the wall that is africa,billions handed over,its no better off,begging bowl still out,the charities ect take their cut,whatever reaches africa is used for god knows what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Thought the thread title was '27th anniversary of Lidl'. :pac::o

I'll get your coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Queen at Live Aid is still one of the greatest live performances by a band ever, must have been incredible to see that in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

krudler wrote: »
    Queen at Live Aid is still one of the greatest live performances by a band ever, must have been incredible to see that in person.

Radio gaga was brilliant, they got the whole crowd involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lifelongnoob

for the 30th anniversary they plan to carpet bomb all of africa with hydrogen bombs to end the hunger there. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

for the 30th anniversary they plan to carpet bomb all of africa with hydrogen bombs to end the hunger there. :P

and start it here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Jester252 wrote: »
    So has the problem been solved?

The population of Ethiopia has doubled since '85, but many would still be starving today. :mad:

Reminds me of when I was in Egypt & a local said many have families of 10 or more & the population was almost 90 million. Most of the land is desert :rolleyes:

So I said how can a country improve prosperity & living standards for future generations in that scenario? He obviously didn't know & seemed totally shoicked when I mentioned it!!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm so old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I'll get your coat

I genuinely did! :o

Ethiopia's population has pretty much doubled since then, should we keep feeding them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was cool and wet here on that day as well. Africa is still misgoverned and starving.

Nothing changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mike65 wrote: »
    It was cool and wet here on that day as well. Africa is still misgoverned and starving.

Nothing changes
    Freddie died :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Phil Collins playing drums with Led Zeppelin. Who thought that was a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The only good thing about Concorde being withdrawn is that could not happen now! :p

Advertisement