Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best way to complain to Tesco?

Options
  • 13-07-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

What's the best way to complain to Tescos?

Bought a shirt and a pair of shorts last night, thought I got a good deal until I was at the checkout, and found that they had the Sterling price large, and the euro price small which I find very misleading.

Wondering who could I moan to, to get this sorted? It's not like Ireland only has the one store in Ireland, so don't see why they don't have the euro in large here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Here you go...

Telephone 1850 744 844

E-mail customer.services@tesco.ie. Think the Tesco Ireland HO is in Dun Laoghaire.

Failing that, you can write to their HQ in Cheshunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

AFAIK there is no regulation on the size of font used on price tags as long as they are legible.

Its probably that way because they're a UK retailer :/ ??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the_syco wrote: »
    so don't see why they don't have the euro in large here!
    It would end up costing more. Just like if magazines or books had to produce different print editions for each country. Magazines, just like tesco, will tend to have the larger price tag in the region with the most sales.

I heard of staff in dunnes crossing out sterling ones, this is only going to add to an increase in prices on the products to cover this staff. This is why I have no problem with dual pricing.

Its weird all the complaints people have about this in the last few years, when books & magazines have been doing if for decades.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time complaining, even if I did feel strongly about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Bought a shirt and a pair of shorts last night, thought I got a good deal until I was at the checkout, and found that they had the Sterling price large, and the euro price small which I find very misleading.

Wondering who could I moan to, to get this sorted? It's not like Ireland only has the one store in Ireland, so don't see why they don't have the euro in large here!
    the irish stores [dunns] do the same in britain euro price is larger on the clothing than the stirling one,its simply that the main retail outlets are in euro ireland,stupid complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Dunnes got rid of dual pricing in 2008- they only have euro pricing on their clothes here. Sometimes you get the odd unimportant product from a supplier that's the same every single year- plain white t-shirts and black umbrellas. Everything else, no. It does make things more expensive, to have different tags for different countries. Not sure what they do for clothes in the UK, but since they are getting the better deal anyway it doesn't matter. They did it to stop the huge number of complaints when the sterling was strong. Huge number of complaints to frontline staff members, of course.

• Advertisement

I love your self importance shown here 'Wondering who could I moan to, to get this sorted?'
    They won't do anything for you as most people pay attention and notice the price. You even noticed it before paying attention so I can't see what your complaint is. If you are so against any sign of the UK market, i suggest you dont shop in a UK retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If you realised at checkout that they were more expensive than you thought why did you buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Stop shopping there. If enough people stop, they will take notice. Making a complaint will get no further than the staff that they hire to deal with complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How much more were they? €4?

Every been to River island!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The OP wants to make a complaint about something they were dissatisfied with. Feedback helps retailers better serve they're customers. I they get a few complaints about something they'll sort it. If it isn't a problem and simply a loan person complaining they're ignore it. I don't really understand why people are admonishing the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The OP wants to make a complaint about something they were dissatisfied with. Feedback helps retailers better serve they're customers. I they get a few complaints about something they'll sort it. If it isn't a problem and simply a loan person complaining they're ignore it. I don't really understand why people are admonishing the OP.

Because Tesco are not going to change the price tags, its not cost affective for them to do so and they've been listening to people bitching about it for years.

There's also a few issues with the op's complaint:
    - The price WAS displayed
    - The op finally read the displayed price at the checkout
    - They were not forced to purchase the item once they finally checked the price of the item

In that case vote with your feet and go somewhere else OP. I still don't understand why people are leaping to Tesco's defense - actively being protective of it. Is the consumer issues forum sponsored by Tesco? :eek:

It wouldn't cost them much to employ someone with a marker pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,593 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree its a small bit confusing till you have realised what is happening with the price tags, but then really you should be able to sort it. At least you can see how the price compares.

I shop at Tesco a lot, but, apart from an immediate complaint which is dealt with by customer service, I have found it a bit pointless complaining as there doesn't seem to be any follow-up, or even interest. Having said that, I imagine a department big enough to follow up all the complaints, from irrelevant gripes to serious issues, would be phenomenally expensive, and the customers would end up paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

In that case vote with your feet and go somewhere else OP. I still don't understand why people are leaping to Tesco's defense - actively being protective of it. Is the consumer issues forum sponsored by Tesco? :eek:

It wouldn't cost them much to employ someone with a marker pen.

Yes it would. Every step in the process costs time and money, be it pricing, security tagging. The customer would pay more.

Besides the extra costs involved it actually aggravates customers more if one of the prices is covered. They automatically think the retailer has something to hide.

While I agree with you second point the cost of having a member of staff cross through pricing on drapery in even a large Tesco would negligible. In fact if they started doing it tomorrow I doubt they would even increase staffing levels the work would be done though a productivity increase. There's not a chance Tesco would increase its pricing in the current climate even in Ireland where they have a fraction of the competition they have in the UK.

Coming from a retail background where we dealt with 50 - 500 price changes a day I've seen the figures on what it was costing two large businesses in man hours. Okay I admit one of them did go bust :D

Cross though would take around a tenth of the time to restickering allowing them around 2000 - 2500 cross throughs on an average day. I have no data on Tescos drapery sales but I'm pretty sure they aren't doing over 15,000 units a week. Even if they where - I'd find you the efficiency savings in any Tesco store, in a week, for 30 - 50k units. A simple solution to your problem would be to have the Sterling prices on a detachable tab. I forget which retailer it is that does this.

This wonderfully interesting conversation aside I'm still confused as to why the OP was getting a telling off. If someone doesn't like the service its better they complain. I was very happy dealing with customer complaints as a Store Manager - it showed me where I could improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TIMOC

Tesco has terrible customer relations. I went to Tesco Finglas to get a multi buy deal on weissbier. Do they go through? Of course not! Is customer service open? Are you joking? Eventually after explaining to the staff with the aid of a diagram that I was not mistaken the deal is recognised. It's fairly frustrating because something very similar happened in Tesco on Thursday. Then I go to buy petrol because there's money off if you spend €50 or more. After battling with the pump I show my receipt. Oh no, they say, that doesn't start till tomorrow. It's written up there on the sign they say. I point out that it isn't. Go back to customer service they suggest. It's closed, I reply. A shrug was my only response. What a joke

While I agree with you second point the cost of having a member of staff cross through pricing on drapery in even a large Tesco would negligible. In fact if they started doing it tomorrow I doubt they would even increase staffing levels the work would be done though a productivity increase. There's not a chance Tesco would increase its pricing in the current climate even in Ireland where they have a fraction of the competition they have in the UK.

Coming from a retail background where we dealt with 50 - 500 price changes a day I've seen the figures on what it was costing two large businesses in man hours. Okay I admit one of them did go bust :D

Cross though would take around a tenth of the time to restickering allowing them around 2000 - 2500 cross throughs on an average day. I have no data on Tescos drapery sales but I'm pretty sure they aren't doing over 15,000 units a week. Even if they where - I'd find you the efficiency savings in any Tesco store, in a week, for 30 - 50k units. A simple solution to your problem would be to have the Sterling prices on a detachable tab. I forget which retailer it is that does this.

So you think that making a detatchable tab won't cost extra that won't be passed on to the customer? :rolleyes:
    This wonderfully interesting conversation aside I'm still confused as to why the OP was getting a telling off. If someone doesn't like the service its better they complain. I was very happy dealing with customer complaints as a Store Manager - it showed me where I could improve.

The OP didn't complain about the service by the way, but has an issue with the marketing of their pricing. TBH I reckon it's because since the introduction of the euro in 2001, the majority of high st clothing stores (both UK and European) have dual pricing on their tickets and the UK companies will of course highlight their own currency if that is their main marketplace. It's not a new thing by any means.

Running the tickets though something to perforate the end again would cost so little per item it isn't worth mentioning.

The point I'm trying to make is if someone want to complain to a retailer they should. The arguments being made about cost here are spurious at best. I guess just as there are companies out there who can do no right by some (Ryanair say), there are some which seem to be able to do no wrong. The rest seems to be just calling the OP stupid which I personally didn't find very fair. Especially given 90% of people who end up with consumer issues did so because of not having their wits about them.

Running the tickets though something to perforate the end again would cost so little per item it isn't worth mentioning.

The point I'm trying to make is if someone want to complain to a retailer they should. The arguments being made about cost here are spurious at best. I guess just as there are companies out there who can do no right by some (Ryanair say), there are some which seem to be able to do no wrong. The rest seems to be just calling the OP stupid which I personally didn't find very fair. Especially given 90% of people who end up with consumer issues did so because of not having their wits about them.

Tesco get a fair bit of bashing on a lot of threads. As do Dunnes/SV etc so it's not as if 'they can do no wrong'.

I have no qualms about consumers complaining when they have good reason but this particular 'complaint' isn't good grounds I'm afraid. No consumer rights have been violated, nor has the retailer overcharged for the item. The consumer read the ticket incorrectly and maybe felt embarrassed and pissed off at point of purchase.

Heaven forbid they go to the US where the sales tax isn't included in the sales ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Those tickets will be changing from s/s 2013. There is no way a value clothing retailer would have someone manually pricing / adjusting every item. if they did, they would not use 1.15 for the exchange rate. Next do not use this rate but they price in euro over every lablel. I know what id prefer!

• Advertisement

TIMOC wrote: »
    Tesco has terrible customer relations. I went to Tesco Finglas to get a multi buy deal on weissbier. Do they go through? Of course not! Is customer service open? Are you joking? Eventually after explaining to the staff with the aid of a diagram that I was not mistaken the deal is recognised. It's fairly frustrating because something very similar happened in Tesco on Thursday. Then I go to buy petrol because there's money off if you spend €50 or more. After battling with the pump I show my receipt. Oh no, they say, that doesn't start till tomorrow. It's written up there on the sign they say. I point out that it isn't. Go back to customer service they suggest. It's closed, I reply. A shrug was my only response. What a joke

Off topic but as was said to the OP, vote with your feet. Go shop somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

Hello OP,

True, it is a bit annoying, but is having the sterling price tag larger than the euro one really having such a negative effect on your life that you need to "moan" about it?

I would suggest contacting customer services but I doubt it will get you anywhere as Tesco have not violated any laws. Remember, Tesco is a British company-of course they will have the sterling price on their clothes. It's the same for any major British retailer in Ireland.

Surely there are worse things in life?

MangoLime wrote: »
    Hello OP,

True, it is a bit annoying, but is having the sterling price tag larger than the euro one really having such a negative effect on your life that you need to "moan" about it?

I would suggest contacting customer services but I doubt it will get you anywhere as Tesco have not violated any laws. Remember, Tesco is a British company-of course they will have the sterling price on their clothes. It's the same for any major British retailer in Ireland.

Surely there are worse things in life?

Why should it be acceptable for a retailer operating in Ireland to not prioritse it's Irish customers? Perhaps they should just close down any Irish HO function and simply do what Time Computers used to do and stick a sign up basically saying "Hi Paddy - we can't be bothered so just add 20% to out prices for punts - oh and by the way if you need customer services here's a UK number for you to call at your expense"

Perhaps my sensitivity to this issue is compounded by British retailers just thinking Ireland is part of the UK in many of their policies, not least the way they deal with staff. Nice to see a lack of the same sensitivity from the Irish consumer in a way I suppose its a posative thing.

The irony of me being English isn't lost on me.

EDIT - Was no need for me to be rude! Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

have to say that I agree with the OP

As far as i can see, Tesco deliberately make their signage & pricing to confuse people. I've regularily seen special offers showing a price...but when you take a bit of time to look at it and read it properly the headline price is not the price at all. i see it as being designed to catch people who only scan over the tag/sign and trick them into thinking the product is a different price -knowing that people wont check at the tillpoint...and if they do they wont put the item back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Buffman

I don't mind seeing the Sterling price, actually I think it can be a good thing. If I think I'm being ripped off in comparision to the Sterling price, I won't buy it.

Anyway, if somebody can't see the difference between £ and €, it's time for a visit to the optician.

If it lowers the cost of the item to display dual prices, I'm all for it.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

tesco-multi-buy.jpg

tescofigrolls.jpg

Tesco are noted for confusion with labels , and Panaroma UK even highlighted this in a programme before .

Tesco have a special website for complaints and here it is :

https://www.tescocomments.com/

Advertisement