Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5000 Jobs

• 13-07-2012 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭

I read the IDA have created 5,000 jobs already this year.
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/139-01.html
    That is a huge figure. Last year was one of the best years ever, when there was 13,000 positions created. The only downside is: this region doesn't seem to be getting many if any of these jobs.
    I wonder is it because:
    Our politicians don't care? or
    We the citizens don't care, or
    The authorities have difficulty bringing jobs into the region ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

TBH I've a feeling they couldn't care less about Limerick people. There seems to be an attitude over the past ten years from the media and the government which is quite frankly discriminatory towards the Limerick region. No jobs, regeneration which was a monumental disaster. The highest unemployment rate in the country speaks for itself. Last year it was what 22% now at 28% considering the amount of people I know who have emigrated it is too high.Factoring thqat this figure is inclusive of the overall population it seems that the working population here in Limerick is very small.

The politicians control the jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Asides from noonan we've no political clout down here, Dessie O'Malleys missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Disgraceful :mad:

Although we reap what we sow, if idiots stopped voting for WOD we might have proper representation in the Dail.

In saying that I don't think any of our other T.D's in Limerick are much better..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,012 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

5,000 new jobs created my arse, if this was in fact true, how come the bottom line unemployment figures remain static, more good news spin I am afraid.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Dempo1 wrote: »
    5,000 new jobs created my arse, if this was in fact true, how come the bottom line unemployment figures remain static, more good news spin I am afraid.

The reason umemployment is staying high is there are job losses in retail etc.

Check out the IDA website, you will see the jobs and where they go.

I'd like someone to ask M Noonan or Jan O Sullivan why no jobs here.

I see WOD has been moved from enterprise and jobs to social protection, it was laughable having him in that position, as he hardly got a job into Limerick even during the Celtic Tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Up to recently a week hardly went by when jobs announcements were regularly broadcast with Galway and Cork the prime beneficiaries.

Good luck to both btw, two cities that seem to have either dynamic leadership, political clout or both, but whatever it is it works for them on so many levels, not just in attracting IDA jobs.

But there's no denying we have been left well in their wake and continue to be.

Do Shannon Development have any function anymore? It has failed at so many levels that my initial joy of the DAA shackles being removed from Shannon Airport was quicky replaced with pessimism when I found out SD were to take over the reins at the Airport. Shannon Developments' existence is, if anything, a handy get out clause for IDA regarding its record in (not) delivering jobs to Limerick and the Midwest region.

@liammur....true for you. We had Willie.....not even during a boom could that twat deliver jobs. The Heathrow slots debacle, when he ran for cover was bad enough, and the even more embarrassing eleventh-hour trip with Calamity Coughlan to Texas in order to show face when the Dell horse had bolted must still rank as one of teh most toe-curling episodes in his record book.

Noonan and O'Sullivan should take note and begin delivering for this region. I can only hope neither take solace in the amazing fact that WOD still sits in the Dail Chamber thanks to his superb attendance record at funerals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Asides from noonan we've no political clout down here, Dessie O'Malleys missed.

Jan O'Sullivan is also a minister of state.

Both of them as useless as the other it seems... no major jobs announcements in Limerick since Dell left.

europa11 wrote: »
    Up to recently a week hardly went by when jobs announcements were regularly broadcast with Galway and Cork the prime beneficiaries.

Good luck to both btw, two cities that seem to have either dynamic leadership, political clout or both, but whatever it is it works for them on so many levels, not just in attracting IDA jobs.

But there's no denying we have been left well in their wake and continue to be.

Do Shannon Development have any function anymore? It has failed at so many levels that my initial joy of the DAA shackles being removed from Shannon Airport was quicky replaced with pessimism when I found out SD were to take over the reins at the Airport. Shannon Developments' existence is, if anything, a handy get out clause for IDA regarding its record in (not) delivering jobs to Limerick and the Midwest region.

@liammur....true for you. We had Willie.....not even during a boom could that twat deliver jobs. The Heathrow slots debacle, when he ran for cover was bad enough, and the even more embarrassing eleventh-hour trip with Calamity Coughlan to Texas in order to show face when the Dell horse had bolted must still rank as one of teh most toe-curling episodes in his record book.

Noonan and O'Sullivan should take note and begin delivering for this region. I can only hope neither take solace in the amazing fact that WOD still sits in the Dail Chamber thanks to his superb attendance record at funerals.

Excellent post, and I'm afraid I have to agree with you re Shannon Development & the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

europa11 wrote: »
    and the even more embarrassing eleventh-hour trip with Calamity Coughlan to Texas in order to show face when the Dell horse had bolted must still rank as one of teh most toe-curling episodes in his record book.

There's a story\rumour that they showed up to the meeting with HP laptops which didn't impress the dell guys at all.

The old fella knew Dessie O'Malley well and he's always going on about how the dublin business leaders were going on to dessie(when he had industry and commerce)about taking shannon's business and that o'malley had to fight tooth and nail to keep alot of it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

vkid wrote: »
    Jan O'Sullivan is also a minister of state.

Both of them as useless as the other it seems... no major jobs announcements in Limerick since Dell left.

Dell haven't left Limerick, they moved their manufacturing operation to Poland. They still employ around 1000 people in Limerick which is still one of the biggest employers in the mid west region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Until there is a proper functioning regional authority we're going to be pissing in the wind.

It's time for Clare and Limerick, and probably North Tipperary to be amalgamated. Simple as.

The thing is that we've a very good built and natural infrastructure in the region that should attract investment, but with three or four local authorities, and other State agencies all working to different plans under different management, we are massively falling short of our potential. Time to grasp the nettle.

liammur wrote: »
    Excellent post, and I'm afraid I have to agree with you re Shannon Development & the airport.

Shannon Development was actually a really high performing State agency in the beginning. It brought a huge amount of investment to the region. I don't know what went wrong though in recent years though. I seem to remember that Micheál Martin neutered them in some way when he was at Industry & Commerce about 10 years ago?

zulutango wrote: »
    Shannon Development was actually a really high performing State agency in the beginning. It brought a huge amount of investment to the region. I don't know what went wrong though in recent years though. I seem to remember that Micheál Martin neutered them in some way when he was at Industry & Commerce about 10 years ago?

Well up to 1996, the region was certainly booming, and you'd have to ask what has happened since.
    It's a shame no local radio station or newspaper will ask the questions that need to be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Well up to 1996, the region was certainly booming, and you'd have to ask what has happened since.
    It's a shame no local radio station or newspaper will ask the questions that need to be asked.

Dare I suggest around then O'Dea became the main TD for the region?

Dare I suggest around then O'Dea became the main TD for the region?

He certainly was no good, but no one man will do the business by himself. It takes a joint effort, local people, businesses, media etc. The very fact that people here are discussing it is impressive. If only the people at large did so as well, the pressure would eventually tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The reason umemployment is staying high is there are job losses in retail etc.

Check out the IDA website, you will see the jobs and where they go.

I'd like someone to ask M Noonan or Jan O Sullivan why no jobs here.

I see WOD has been moved from enterprise and jobs to social protection, it was laughable having him in that position, as he hardly got a job into Limerick even during the Celtic Tiger.

If I were a MNC looking at a thread like this I'd be put off the city for fear the posts were representative of the population.

There is an issue I posted here already in that Shannon Development is now a hindrance when MNCs are looking to be shown around. If the IDA was setting out 4 options including Limerick rather than 3 plus SD setting out Limerick's stall, they would at least be comparable, however the region does benefit from UL and the Crescent, which when shown to families of CEOs (if brought on the trip) seems to have swung Limerick in some cases, together with the more reasonable house prices.

The reason, one could hypothesise, for lack of job creation in Limerick is because there are people who expect everyone else to do it. Cork and Galway do not get jobs because they have government ministers, they get jobs because there is a clear can-do attitude not tainted by a "why us" victim complex.

It is the job of the IDA (which doesn't have a remit in the Mid West) and Shannon Development (which does) and Enterprise Ireland to drive the creation of jobs, not government ministers.

ninty9er wrote: »
    If I were a MNC looking at a thread like this I'd be put off the city for fear the posts were representative of the population.

There is an issue I posted here already in that Shannon Development is now a hindrance when MNCs are looking to be shown around. If the IDA was setting out 4 options including Limerick rather than 3 plus SD setting out Limerick's stall, they would at least be comparable, however the region does benefit from UL and the Crescent, which when shown to families of CEOs (if brought on the trip) seems to have swung Limerick in some cases, together with the more reasonable house prices.

The reason, one could hypothesise, for lack of job creation in Limerick is because there are people who expect everyone else to do it. Cork and Galway do not get jobs because they have government ministers, they get jobs because there is a clear can-do attitude not tainted by a "why us" victim complex.

It is the job of the IDA (which doesn't have a remit in the Mid West) and Shannon Development (which does) and Enterprise Ireland to drive the creation of jobs, not government ministers.

I don't buy you argument for the simple reason up to 1997, these companies were flocking into the region.
    I would say Cork got jobs because M Martin was minister for enterprise and jobs, and in true parish pump style brought many to his area. Galway benefits because it qualifies under the BMW scheme, thereby making it more attractive for MNCs to locate there.

That's incredibly insulting to pretty much everybody in the region. Well done.

I hear plenty of moaning, but nobody is suggesting any solutions.

I've suggested scrapping Shannon Development and giving companies a comparable product.

But yet again, your post displays exactly what makes me sad about Limerick, a victim complex.:mad:

I've suggested scrapping Shannon Development and giving companies a comparable product.

But yet again, your post displays exactly what makes me sad about Limerick, a victim complex.:mad:

eh??

You obviously haven't read my posts.

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote: »
    eh??

You obviously haven't read my posts.

I referred to the one that called my bluntness an insult. If that insults you, a trip to a tannery for some thick hide is necessary.

On the contrary, zulutango is very much aware of the situation. Unfortunately, you are confusing 'moaning' with stating the facts. Solutions include contacting local media and local politicians. Not much else the average man on the street can do.

On the contrary, zulutango is very much aware of the situation. Unfortunately, you are confusing 'moaning' with stating the facts. Solutions include contacting local media and local politicians. Not much else the average man on the street can do.

He could walk into Enterprise Ireland/ CEB with a business plan or even idea, as many have done before.

You don't need to be a genius so long as you have an idea and the willingness to put your money where your mouth is the supports are there.

Not everyone is suited to that route, and that's fair enough.

The average guy on the street could write to the IDA board and ask if there is a particular strategic reason or problem cited by companies for not choosing Limerick (might do this myself actually).

Then the average guy on the street could go about doing their bit in fixing that problem if it bothers the average guy on the street enough that he's asking every 6 months why Limerick has been overlooked for investment.

Ninty9er, please stop trying to be wise. It doesn't suit you.

Your series of posts in this thread betray an ignorance and lack of understanding that would be dangerous if you were in any way important.

He could walk into Enterprise Ireland/ CEB with a business plan or even idea, as many have done before.

You don't need to be a genius so long as you have an idea and the willingness to put your money where your mouth is the supports are there.

Not everyone is suited to that route, and that's fair enough.

The average guy on the street could write to the IDA board and ask if there is a particular strategic reason or problem cited by companies for not choosing Limerick (might do this myself actually).

Then the average guy on the street could go about doing their bit in fixing that problem if it bothers the average guy on the street enough that he's asking every 6 months why Limerick has been overlooked for investment.

Complete nonsense, maybe there are a few selfish ones that have a job and then it's easy to say 'all is fine, I'm alright Jack'.
    I've written to the IDA on several occasions over they years, and not 1 reply. I'm not looking for a job, but don't like to see a situation where the region is completely overlooked by a variety of interests - and I would you include in this bracket.

But since I'm not I'm just as insignificant and ignorant as anyone else here.

And that relates to job creation how?

But since I'm not I'm just as insignificant and ignorant as anyone else here.

?

No need to be putting yourself down, everyone has an opinion, and each should be respected.

And most ordinary people couldn't have done as bad a job as our politicians/government - 13,000 jobs created last year, 5,000 this year, and the region with the worst unemplyment rate gets how many.

I've just emailed someone at Shannon Development to see if there are cited reasons and if there is anything civic society (that's you and me) can do to address any cited reasons.

If I can get a contact for someone at IDA I'll do the same.

I've just emailed someone at Shannon Development to see if there are cited reasons and if there is anything civic society (that's you and me) can do to address any cited reasons.

If I can get a contact for someone at IDA I'll do the same.

Well, I must give you credit for that. If you go to the IDA website, you'll get their email addresses. I'm beginning to wonder though if it the likes of Noonan/O Sullivan etc that people should be putting the pressure on.

• Advertisement

Well, I must give you credit for that. If you go to the IDA website, you'll get their email addresses. I'm beginning to wonder though if it the likes of Noonan/O Sullivan etc that people should be putting the pressure on.

Let's figure out what the problem is first, then ask them to fix it.

(I've found the email address of who I think is the right guy at IDA and sent the same email)

Advertisement