Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Term Moratorium on Mortgage

Options
  • 13-07-2012 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

I have been offered a job in New Zealand and may have no other choice but to move. Both my wife and I and on the dole but still meeting the mortgage by using the childrens allowance.
    If we move I will not be earning enough to live there and pay any shortfall left by renting and like most others we are in negative equity so selling is not really an option.
    Is there any chance the bank would offer us a moratorium for a year or two that would allow us the chance to get settled and possibly allow the housing market to rise a little so we could sell at not too much a loss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

It would be unusual that any lender will give you a moratorium on the mortgage repayments for longer than a number of months - perhaps 3 - 6.

Could you rent out the property and use the rent to service the mortgage?

Advertisement