Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda assaulted in Limerick

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Good spot toxic7, I think I'll opt out of further debate here based on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭adaminho

I'd love to know what everyones problem with this case is? Is it because he was a rugby player or because it was an off duty Guard he punched?

The reason I ask is that everyone is calling for him to be locked up for a first offence but no one seems to give a sh*t about scumbags walking around town with 100 odd convictions getting another 6 months suspended tacked onto their record.

While I don't condone what he did and €750 isn't much of a fine, he has been punished enough. I hope he learns from this and it doesn't affect his life too much. He will have to mention this in every job application for the next 7 years and will probably never get into the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Indeed, wonder what sanction the Gardai will take against a Garda who lies in Court?

Considering it's far, far more serious that two punches to the head, I expect there will be an angry boards.ie mob waiting to lynch Garda Bentley by midday tomorrow...

There was a thread about that Garda incident in this very forum and a very big thread about it in After Hours.

adaminho wrote: »
    I'd love to know what everyones problem with this case is? Is it because he was a rugby player or because it was an off duty Guard he punched?

The reason I ask is that everyone is calling for him to be locked up for a first offence but no one seems to give a sh*t about scumbags walking around town with 100 odd convictions getting another 6 months suspended tacked onto their record.

While I don't condone what he did and €750 isn't much of a fine, he has been punished enough. I hope he learns from this and it doesn't affect his life too much. He will have to mention this in every job application for the next 7 years and will probably never get into the States.

I think you will find that plenty of folk give a damn about scumbags who rack up scores of convictions and who still manage to get easy sentences in court. It is a topic that has been aired in this forum many times over the years.

I think that I have already explained my disgust at the act and also given examples of the kind of punishment I thought would wuit the crime, but I think that Amazo came up with a brilliant punishment for the crime and it is a shame that the judge did not have a bit of Amazo in his head when he ruled on the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cuttothechase

Looks like an act of utter stupidity from a young fella full of drink with no excuses warranted and he has got his punishment, light as it may seem. But if people think he will never play for Munster or Ireland again because of this they are wrong.

Cold truth is, if he is good enough to play he will. Wasn't Stevie Ferris involved in an assault not so long ago, someone already mentioned Shane Horgan, a mate of mines girlfriend was out in Tullow about 2 years ago and came across a blood soaked Sean O' Brien in a frenzied state (the blood wasn't his bye the way). I wonder was Alan Quinlan ever involved in a pub brawl in Tipp town?

For some reason sports guy get the break in these situations which does annoy the rest of us civilians. Anybody familiar with the Aidan O' Mahony (Kerry footballer) incident? Now this is a case where the two sides of this story get drawn into context. If he was not a Kerry footballer he would most definetley not be a member of an Garda Siochana at this present time. As 2Pac said "that's just the way it is".

• Advertisement

Looks like an act of utter stupidity from a young fella full of drink with no excuses warranted and he has got his punishment, light as it may seem. But if people think he will never play for Munster or Ireland again because of this they are wrong.

Cold truth is, if he is good enough to play he will. Wasn't Stevie Ferris involved in an assault not so long ago, someone already mentioned Shane Horgan, a mate of mines girlfriend was out in Tullow about 2 years ago and came across a blood soaked Sean O' Brien in a frenzied state (the blood wasn't his bye the way). I wonder was Alan Quinlan ever involved in a pub brawl in Tipp town?

For some reason sports guy get the break in these situations which does annoy the rest of us civilians. Anybody familiar with the Aidan O' Mahony (Kerry footballer) incident? Now this is a case where the two sides of this story get drawn into context. If he was not a Kerry footballer he would most definetley not be a member of an Garda Siochana at this present time. As 2Pac said "that's just the way it is".

I really don't see what him playing for Munster or Ireland in the future (if he proves good enough) has anything to do with it to be honest. A person can commit a crime, get a punishment that matches the crime, and then go on to achieve something later in life. Of course there are plenty of examples of people committing far worse crimes than the lad did as well and who went on to succeed in their fileds and one would not have to look any further than Limerick to see examples of far worse crimes having being committed (and receiving convictions in the courts) by people who often pop up nowadays in the socialite pictures and who get called things like "successful Limerick business person"

But if him being a rugby player of supposed future potential played a part in him getting a softer punishment then that is wrong in my eyes, just as it is wrong when a scumbag with 50 convictions gets a lighter sentence when some sob story is presented to the courts.

I would much prefer to see a young guy like the rugby player get a punishment that might make him think twice about doing something like this again (community service doing physical work in public or Amazo's excellent coaching suggestion maybe) than see him get away with a pretty soft punishment and maybe the mentality that breaking the law and/or attacking people is something that can be got away with handily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I could not care less if he was a potential star rugby player at the end of the day he attacked someone randomly on the street who he and his mates could identify as a guard, so in my book he is a scumbag and something seriously needs to be done to deal with the amount of tracksuit wearing scumbags wandering the streets of this city hassling people for no reason other than because they want to.

I was parked up at the side of burger king last week for a few minutes and was looking at Arthurs Quay park it was busy lots of teenagers, nice few tourists around enjoying the park. 3 scumbags in tracksuits carrying walking sticks over their shoulders entered the park slagging everyone and hassling people. I never saw a place empty as quick. Should these scumbags not be arrested ? of course in my book if you are swinging a walking stick over your head, you are trying to intimidate people and it is a weapon they should be confiscated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

kilburn wrote: »
    I was parked up at the side of burger king last week for a few minutes and was looking at Arthurs Quay park it was busy lots of teenagers, nice few tourists around enjoying the park. 3 scumbags in tracksuits carrying walking sticks over their shoulders entered the park slagging everyone and hassling people. I never saw a place empty as quick. Should these scumbags not be arrested ? of course in my book if you are swinging a walking stick over your head, you are trying to intimidate people and it is a weapon they should be confiscated.

THIS is the solution:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Looks like a good solution to me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Toxic7 wrote: »
    Wow what a joke sentence.

Out of curiosity is this the same Garda that got caught lying in front of a judge?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/judge-appalled-by-video-footage-after-man-says-garda-broke-his-arm-1-4036016

Oh.

I'd heard of good cop, bad cop before - but this is a new one on me ??????

It seems that Garda Bentley may have Situational Awareness Difficulty Disorder (SADD) - Sufferers of SADD might not notice colleagues breaking innocent bystanders arms for no good reason or perhaps might mistakenly think people are conveniently stocious drunk when in fact they are seriously sober.

I think its possible that Garda Bentley may in fact have unwittingly bashed his confused head offa rugby dudes fists multiple times due to his SADD therefore causing his own cut lip and wobbly tooth.

- I can only hope and pray and dream that Garda Bentley recovers soon and gets back out there on our streets doing that thing he does best - and may he be very, very well paid and pensionable for it too........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Raiser wrote: »
    Aw - You've really got to feel sorry for Shannon RFC - First of all they were unlucky enough to have Limericks Mayor McLoughlin drag their name around the mud and now this <edit>person</edit> is just adding to the impression that they are a club with ankle height standards, now I bet people will draw the conclusion that impressionable young people in their care are influenced by their píss poor values and embarrassing carry on.

The next time a Shannon RFC club official considers writing a reference for some <edit>person</edit> who has been out assaulting innocent people on our streets they might consider having some moral sense and instead expel them from their organisation in order to protect the clubs reputation instead of happily signing up to the notion that Shannon RFC thinks this behaviour is fine

Wasnt Eddie Halvey from Shannn RFC too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Another Shannon club "legend" gave a character reference in another infamous court case where an ex rugby player escaped jail

Was that the fella who murdered someone yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Was that the fella who murdered someone yeah?

No, the guy mentioned in the post just above yours.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/mothers-pain-as-drinkdrive-rugby-star-escapes-jail-term-1736862.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

yeah that's the same fella I was thinking of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

because this guy is an (allegedly) potentially successful rugger bugger people think he needs to be taken down a peg or two.
    I think people are out for blood on this, as there seems to be a trend of the rugger buggers hitting people and getting away with it.
    adaminho wrote: »
    The rugger bugger getting away with beating someone for the fun seems to go hand in hand with someone "from a bad area" getting away with beating someone up for the fun.
    But if people think he will never play for Munster or Ireland again because of this they are wrong.
    Double O Rugger Bugger; license to batter people for the fun.
    Holy crap.

=-=

Play rugby and you get away with assault, murder... holy crap. I wonder if these rugger buggers see anything wrong with the 100+ conviction scumbags walking the streets, and if they do, do they see the irony?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Could you not have just said "rugby players" instead of that stupid phrase? >_<

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

the_syco wrote: »
    I think people are out for blood on this, as there seems to be a trend of the rugger buggers hitting people and getting away with it.

What other players have assaulted anyone?

The Eddie Halvey case was an absolute tragedy but unfortunately he's not the only person to have escaped a larger sentence for committing a similar crime.

Shane Horgan had an incident with a bouncer but that was 10 or more years ago now.

Doug Howlett was meant to have been involved in an incident in Kilkenny a couple of years back.

I can't really think of anyone else to be honest so I'm not sure where your trend is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What other players have assaulted anyone?

The Eddie Halvey case was an absolute tragedy but unfortunately he's not the only person to have escaped a larger sentence for committing a similar crime.

Shane Horgan had an incident with a bouncer but that was 10 or more years ago now.

Doug Howlett was meant to have been involved in an incident in Kilkenny a couple of years back.

I can't really think of anyone else to be honest so I'm not sure where your trend is coming from.

I have seen a certain Munster Hooker throw a few digs at some lad in Coppers before.

I also know of a case regarding a young munster player who physically assaulted a 23 year old woman in the Cornmarket area of Limerick last year.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

did you get the police involved then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

CatFromHue wrote: »
    did you get the police involved then?

The employees of Copper Face Jacks dealt with the first incident and as for the second incident I believe the aspiring young chap was arrested. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Could you not have just said "rugby players" instead of that stupid phrase? >_<
    No. I know a few rugby players, and they're upstanding people.

The rugger buggers are the scum of rugby. I know of a few of them, and I'd be surprised if they haven't assaulted someone yet.

Advertisement