Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay ridge/fibre cement tile on fibre cement roof slate??

Options
  • 13-07-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I quite like the chunkiness and overlaps on clay ridge tiles. I am putting a structured slate from capco on my roof which resembles natural slate. Its a fibre cement slate and my roofer said the problem with the clay ridge tile is that it may not sit straight on the fibre cement slates. Has anyone done something similar to this in the past? I can always go with the capco fibre cement ridge tile.

The clay tile I was looking at is the ogee on p.17 of http://www.sig.ie/imagePath/dynamic/image/Low_Res_Natural_Slate_May_2011.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

I quite like the chunkiness and overlaps on clay ridge tiles. I am putting a structured slate from capco on my roof which resembles natural slate. Its a fibre cement slate and my roofer said the problem with the clay ridge tile is that it may not sit straight on the fibre cement slates. Has anyone done something similar to this in the past? I can always go with the capco fibre cement ridge tile.

The clay tile I was looking at is the ogee on p.17 of http://www.sig.ie/imagePath/dynamic/image/Low_Res_Natural_Slate_May_2011.pdf

Has he already priced the job? If so, he may be trying to discourage you from choosing them because he thinks that they would take longer to fit, or are more expensive than what he allowed for.

I have years of roofing experience, and I see no reason why they wouldn't sit correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭liamolaighin

johnr1 wrote: »
    Has he already priced the job? If so, he may be trying to discourage you from choosing them because he thinks that they would take longer to fit, or are more expensive than what he allowed for.

I have years of roofing experience, and I see no reason why they wouldn't sit correctly.

The cost isnt an issue as I told him I'd cover any extra cost. He said the fibre cement would sit better on the roof. Have you used similar ridge tiles on fibre-cement slates before. I like the way the tiles lap each other, gives some charachter to the roof. House 2 storey and is in rural setting.

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

i also have years experience roofing and what your roofer has said is rubbish... if anything those fiber cem ridge caps are very brittle and tend to break over time i would not put them on my house... the clay tiles are a lot more labour intensive and would cost more to put on also mixing and keeping roof clean from mortar and keeping any stains off the roof is more added hassle but if that what you want then TELL your roofer thats what you want. But id stay away from fiber cem ridge tiles they are soft and will fade over time.

sorry was looking at the wrong page, i have put up these particular caps on a lot of houses lately and they sit great and look great they are expensive though but worth it as they give a great look to a roof i dont know why your roofer would advise you against these, they take a little more time to fit but not a lot i would advise however to use long text screws whem fixing instead of ridge tile nails as ridge nails have a tendancy to lift over time. But yes i can not see any problems with these caps sitting properly and dont forget to order your end caps with them as they look great on the gable ends instead of trying to fill the ends,also check on delivery that none of your caps are broken because i have found this to be a problem and order a couple extra for breakages.they are a great cap to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

there is no mortar used to fix them ridge tiles, they are screwed down using a long screw similar to a tec screw.
    That type are fairly common on new houses nowadays, only real extra work is getting them up on the roof.
    go for them, they look far superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭liamolaighin

Thanks alot blackbird and jakko. I felt myself that the clay tile would look far superior. I think I will go for them tbh. I am getting a good deal as I arranged for purchase of 2 roofs and garages worth of slates directly with Capco but through my building providers. They are very helpful with samples etc also. Regarding extra time in fitting I can always give the roofer a hand myself but they should be fast enough as they are fixed with the screws rather than morter after all.

Btw I dont suppose anyone has any pics of those tiles fitted??? Or links...

Cheers

just keep an eye out for newly built houses they are becoming fairly popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

jakko86 wrote: »
    just keep an eye out for newly built houses they are becoming fairly popular.

I put them on mine. There held down with a long tec screw drilled into the top rafters. Class finish, and everyone comments. I have a face plate also on the gable ends, that come with those ridge caps. Nice job too.

Advertisement