Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help.

Options
  • 13-07-2012 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Right so my PC arrived today, I had it built by Hardwareversand.de.
    Started it up, Windows 7 is in German, go to install the copy of English W7 I bought. It restarted and now my monitor won't turn on. So I can't even see what I'm doing... this is very frustrating, Could the drivers for the monitor be gone now? How can I get this working?
    I have a laptop and I tried to connect the desktop to use laptop as a monitor but I can't seem to get that to work.
    Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Is the LED on the monitor coming on?

Make sure you're using the video port on your graphics card and not the port on your motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ABDublin

Is the LED on the monitor coming on?

Make sure you're using the video port on your graphics card and not the port on your motherboard.

The only port the cord fits into is "D-Sub" on my monitor and I put it into "DVI" on the motherboard (I assume), Tried switching, but the DVI on my graphics card section doesn't fit, it's slender, not like the cord I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

What graphics card did you buy? Only very rare models come without DVI (like ones with 6 mini displayport). Does your monitor have displayport?

srsly78 wrote: »
    What graphics card did you buy? Only very rare models come without DVI (like ones with 6 mini displayport). Does your monitor have displayport?

This is the monitor; http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=58698&agid=603&lb

This is the graphics card; http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=57695&agid=1165

The monitor came with a cable with both ends like this; http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/Vga-cable.jpg/256px-Vga-cable.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

ABDublin wrote: »

You need a DVI cable, or a VGA/DVI adapter. DVI gives better picture quality tham VGA, so your best bet is to go out to Peats, Maplins etc. And pick one up.

• Advertisement

Eboggles wrote: »
    You need a DVI cable, or a VGA/DVI adapter. DVI gives better picture quality tham VGA, so your best bet is to go out to Peats, Maplins etc. And pick one up.
    Just looked in one of the boxes... there's a VGA to DVI adapter. Sorry I'm being so simple.

Ok now everytime I start up I'm getting
    Install Windows
    The computer restarted unexpectedlt or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and the restart the installation."
    Then when I do restart I get the same message, how do I fix this?

(Btw you guys are very helpful and I really appreciate it)

Just looked in one of the boxes... there's a VGA to DVI adapter. Sorry I'm being so simple.

Ok now everytime I start up I'm getting

Then when I do restart I get the same message, how do I fix this?

(Btw you guys are very helpful and I really appreciate it)

Go into your BIOS, and change the HDD setting to AHCI. You have it as RAID.

Go into your BIOS, and change the HDD setting to AHCI. You have it as RAID.

In BIOS, Will try to find HDD settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You are pressing the wrong button for bios. Read the manual to find correct button.

Also note that hwvs may have made many mistakes on the build (they have done so on many of mine). Open it up and make sure the dvd drive is plugged in correctly etc. Then go into bios and make sure dvd is set as first boot device. Then proceed to install windows again.

srsly78 wrote: »
    You are pressing the wrong button for bios. Read the manual to find correct button.

Also note that hwvs may have made many mistakes on the build (they have done so on many of mine). Open it up and make sure the dvd drive is plugged in correctly etc. Then go into bios and make sure dvd is set as first boot device. Then proceed to install windows again.

I'm in the BIOS and I can't seem to find the HDD options. My motherboard is; http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=57623&agid=1601

The tabs I have are "Main, OC Tweaker, Advanced, H/W Monitor, Boot, Security and Exit"

(Sorry I'm not very good at doing stuff like this and it's my first custom PC :/ )

How would I check if DVD is set as first boot?

Found the options there, says my SATA MOde Selection is already AHCI, not RAID.

• Advertisement

I'm in the BIOS and I can't seem to find the HDD options. My motherboard is; http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=57623&agid=1601

The tabs I have are "Main, OC Tweaker, Advanced, H/W Monitor, Boot, Security and Exit"

(Sorry I'm not very good at doing stuff like this and it's my first custom PC :/ )

How would I check if DVD is set as first boot?

Found the options there, says my SATA MOde Selection is already AHCI, not RAID.

Have you verified your install disc? It could be corrupted or something.

Otherwise, your DVD drive could be messed up. Maybe try a USB?f

EDIT: Did you format the SSD as NTFS? It might help.

I know it's verified because I had to use the code when I intially started this morning, the DVD drive works too because it started installing windows 7. The reason I'm getting this message is because I turned off the computer when I was having the monitor problems above, so now I need to wipe my hard drive most likely so I can fresh install Windows 7, but how can I do that if I can't even get past the error message...

I know it's verified because I had to use the code when I intially started this morning, the DVD drive works too because it started installing windows 7. The reason I'm getting this message is because I turned off the computer when I was having the monitor problems above, so now I need to wipe my hard drive most likely so I can fresh install Windows 7, but how can I do that if I can't even get past the error message...

Hold on, you already have Win7 installed? I was under the impression you were trying to install it. Where are you exactly in the installation? Or are you booting just after the install finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

meh I have to assemble a pc this weekend, so all this is potentially ahead of me...

So when I switch on the pc for the first time, I need to get into bios & set up boot drives in order of dvd first and SSD 2nd (which is where windows o/s will be installed) and then restart computer with the windows-iso dvd in drive?

Hold on, you already have Win7 installed? I was under the impression you were trying to install it. Where are you exactly in the installation? Or are you booting just after the install finished?

I started this morning and Windows 7 was in German, I also had a sealed English Windows 7 that came with my package.

I got past the error message by using this;
    1) On the same error screen press SHIFT+F10 and it will open up a black Window. (a command prompt window)
    2) In the black windows type the word "regedit"(without the inverted commas and hit enter. That will open the registry editor.
    In the Registry Editor..
    Browse to....
    HKLocal machine/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion, and after highliting childcompletion,on the right hand side check for setup.exe. if the value is 1 change it to 3.(by double clicking on setup.exe and changing the value shown in the box).
    Then close the registry editor and then also close the black window.
    Then click on OK for the error and the computer will restart and the installation may complete. just try it and let me know if it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

We should set up some sort of chat room. Almost everyone has a Laptop and a webcam these days. Just point it at your build and let people help you out :)

I started this morning and Windows 7 was in German, I also had a sealed English Windows 7 that came with my package.

I got past the error message by using this;

So it's working? I'm confused :confused:

So it's working? I'm confused :confused:

Yeah I googled my problem and began looking and eventualy found the solution. Like I said before I'll encounter another problem soon...

Thanks everyone though for helping, this forum is so helpful.

Yeah I googled my problem and began looking and eventualy found the solution. Like I said before I'll encounter another problem soon...

Thanks everyone though for helping, this forum is so helpful.

Ok then, glad you got it sorted :).

Where exactly did that error code popup? It's just if someone were to have the misfortune of dealing with it, at least someone here could help them out.

• Advertisement

Ok then, glad you got it sorted :).

Where exactly did that error code popup? It's just if someone were to have the misfortune of dealing with it, at least someone here could help them out.

I posted it on Page 1, It's;
    Install Windows
    The computer restarted unexpectedlt or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and the restart the installation."

Seem to have another problem... My screen resolution only goes upto 1400x1050 while the screen is 1900x1080?
    Edit: Fixed it, forgot about the drivers :)

Advertisement