Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant Guppys dying

Options
  • 13-07-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    having an issue where guppys get pregnant, get very big. i move them to a floating net trap to catch the fry, 1-2 days later females are dead, no fry dropped. this has happened 3 times so far.
    water readings seem to be pretty much normal, im sticking to a good water change routine.

anybody think of anything else i should or could be doing to prevent this?
    thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hi all,
    having an issue where guppys get pregnant, get very big. i move them to a floating net trap to catch the fry, 1-2 days later females are dead, no fry dropped. this has happened 3 times so far.
    water readings seem to be pretty much normal, im sticking to a good water change routine.

anybody think of anything else i should or could be doing to prevent this?
    thanks a mil

What are your readings?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

Breeding traps can be very stressful on guppies, if you want to keep the fry you can set up a breeding tank with lots of plants for the fry to hide in and remove the mother once the fry are released. You can also do this in your regular tank although survival rates aren't very high (in my personal opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I believe I have 2 guppies pregnant at the moment ( they have the black spot ) I dont fancy putting them in a breeding trap and was thinking of just letting them have the fry in the tank which has a few plants etc and let nature take its course, I worry though is this also cruel....feels like a no win sitution.

Also if I do let them have fry in the tank naturally w ill the other fish also try to eat them ( have couple of ballon molly and electric blue ram and GBR and of course 2 male guppies ),Finally on average how many fry would they have

Tank is 80litre if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I have never had fry under 4 weeks survive in the main tank. Other species will also eat the young.
    You can have from 5 to 40 babies at a time (average 20). I use a box with a separator so that when the babies are born they can get away from the mother. Most survive this way.

Advertisement