Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour rate for slating, felting and battening

Options
  • 13-07-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for an approximate labour rate ( I have all the materials) per slate or sqm for slating a low roof (ridge is 3metres above ground level) in natural slate (600x300) Double eaves course is 14m and roof area is 28sqm. There are no rooflights or other features.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks. Wazzo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

your ridge is 3m above wallplate level i presume is what your sayin?How many slate have you to lay?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi,
    I'd hazard €100 per day / 75 for any laborers. Bit more again if there's any travel involved for the lads.
    m f

jes so a labourer is nearly on what a tradesman is on?You will be looking at 200 or so per day for labourer and good roofer to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

jakko86 wrote: »
    your ridge is 3m above wallplate level i presume is what your sayin?How many slate have you to lay?

Don't know if my sums are right but roof is 28m2 and I have 600mmx300mm slates which I think means 15 slates per m2 (100mm headlap). 15x28=420 slates.

To clarify the roof is a lean to roof. eaves are 2m above ground level, ridge (is this the right term for top of a lean to roof?) is between 3 and 3.5m above ground level.

Thanks for the response

Wazzo

Don't know if my sums are right but roof is 28m2 and I have 600mmx300mm slates which I think means 15 slates per m2 (100mm headlap). 15x28=420 slates.

To clarify the roof is a lean to roof. eaves are 2m above ground level, ridge (is this the right term for top of a lean to roof?) is between 3 and 3.5m above ground level.

Thanks for the response

Wazzo

Hi,
    - Yes if it leans to the main structure 'lean to' is the correct term. (i.e. an extension with one single pitch leaning towards a wall on the main structure) If its a single pitch its a 'mono pitch' or 2 pitches 'duo pitch' from your description is sound like the latter having a ridge.
    I haven't seen the roof, but from your description / quantification I'd allow:
    3 x men ( 2 roofers / 1 labour ) - for strip, felt & batton = 2 days
    2 x roofers - re slate, ridge, flash & dress leads etc = 4 days

Not taking into account the Irish weather & if your renewing facia / soffit etc.
    I would be err'ing on the side of caution with those times - and personally speaking for such a small roof I would be trying to get it done on 'price work, to avoid any cost over runs in your labor cost.
    As for paying a roofer 200 - 250 per day, P/m me if ya have any jobs :D

Mike F

• Advertisement

Hi,
    - Yes if it leans to the main structure 'lean to' is the correct term. (i.e. an extension with one single pitch leaning towards a wall on the main structure) If its a single pitch its a 'mono pitch' or 2 pitches 'duo pitch' from your description is sound like the latter having a ridge.
    I haven't seen the roof, but from your description / quantification I'd allow:
    3 x men ( 2 roofers / 1 labour ) - for strip, felt & batton = 2 days
    2 x roofers - re slate, ridge, flash & dress leads etc = 4 days

Not taking into account the Irish weather & if your renewing facia / soffit etc.
    I would be err'ing on the side of caution with those times - and personally speaking for such a small roof I would be trying to get it done on 'price work, to avoid any cost over runs in your labor cost.
    As for paying a roofer 200 - 250 per day, P/m me if ya have any jobs :D

Mike F

Thanks for the response, It's a mono pitch roof, (I was mistakenly using the term ridge for where the top of the roof is flashed into the wall). Roof is already stripped and rafters are ready for felt batten and slate.

Thanks for the response, It's a mono pitch roof, (I was mistakenly using the term ridge for where the top of the roof is flashed into the wall). Roof is already stripped and rafters are ready for felt batten and slate.

I'd stick to an average of 100 per man per day, and 125 max.
    Take into consideration the met forecast.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Try not to leave structural elements exposed to the elements for a prolonged period of time.

250 euro per day, i'd flash it in zinc, copper and glass !

420 slates ready to lat and felt? if its leaded at ridge? 2 roofers 2 days max.Your lookin at 600 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

All very easy to give figures looking at the details on a page here,

Are the battens on at the correct centres?

Are they straight?

Is the felt/ flashings fitted correctly?

Sc024

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

SC024 wrote: »

Are they straight?

Sc024
    This is the Prices/costs forum. Please dont drag the thread off topic and read the forum charter before posting again.

• Advertisement

SC024 wrote: »

Are they straight?

Sc024
    If you read OP posts it has to be latted and felted so its ready to felt and batten, easy to give costings when you have the details.

Thanks everyone for the spot on information, Roof finished yesterday for 600 Euro. Very happy with the quality of the work.

Wazzo

bang on.
    Thanks everyone for the spot on information, Roof finished yesterday for 600 Euro. Very happy with the quality of the work.

Wazzo

Advertisement