Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian Cypress

Options
  • 13-07-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We currently have a whack of trees that prevent us from seeing into the neighbours back garden (inc from the bedroom window). While I dont like the trees I do like the privacy. Besides the trees are very tall for them and block their light so I wanna change that if I can.

I was thinking about Italian Cypress that will line up along the wall. Hopefully, they wont be as tall, still provide blockage of their backgarden from our eyes and will look uniform an tidy. I also was thinking of underlighting them - think they would look nice at night.

http://www.delange.org/CypressItalian/Dsc00220.jpg

This is what I hope they will look like. But Im worried they wont be thick or rigid enough . Can anyone offer alternatives or their point of view please.

Also are italian cypresses morbid?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not absolutely sure what you are asking here OP. Afaik Italian Cypress grow very tall, and if you are going to block the view completely you would have to plant them close together, which would still mean you had a solid, high block of trees.

You say you are concerned they will not be thick or rigid enough, well they are narrow trees, if you want wider trees then you would be better planting something else.

As to whether they are morbid, traditionally cypress is regarded as a mourning tree but you don't have to pay any attention to that. Personally I don't like the look of them at all except maybe as a feature in a very large formal garden, but that is just a personal thing.

What is in at the moment that you want to get rid of? There may be other trees that would be suitable but it depends on the size of the garden and the effect you are going for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What size of garden are we talking about OP? I also think the italian cypress need a certain scale of garden to look good. Otherwise they can end up forming a sort of 'cage' bars effect around a small garden. They really are very tall.

Also, they are a little bit on the tender side for Ireland. They can get hit by frost. You're not going to buy them full grown I'd guess, so you are talking about years before they get to that height.

Have you considered getting a good tree surgeon in to thin out the existing trees if they are too dense? Are they conifers or deciduous?

You could replace the trees with something less dense if they have outgrown the space for them. Something like birch is doesn't restrict too much light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

pwurple wrote: »
    What size of garden are we talking about OP? I also think the italian cypress need a certain scale of garden to look good. Otherwise they can end up forming a sort of 'cage' bars effect around a small garden. They really are very tall.

Also, they are a little bit on the tender side for Ireland. They can get hit by frost. You're not going to buy them full grown I'd guess, so you are talking about years before they get to that height.

Have you considered getting a good tree surgeon in to thin out the existing trees if they are too dense? Are they conifers or deciduous?

You could replace the trees with something less dense if they have outgrown the space for them. Something like birch is doesn't restrict too much light.

Thanks everyone - our garden is 100m so the garden would take the cypresses. I'm looking for something of a formal garden and think they would suit. I like the 'cage effect' - i think it would give great structure to the garden.

I am hoping to keep the trees at about 16 - 20 ft. How long would it take to get to that? Any other ideas for a tall thin tree that could be kept in a cylindrical shape.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

karlitob wrote: »
    Thanks everyone - our garden is 100m so the garden would take the cypresses. I'm looking for something of a formal garden and think they would suit. I like the 'cage effect' - i think it would give great structure to the garden.

I am hoping to keep the trees at about 16 - 20 ft. How long would it take to get to that? Any other ideas for a tall thin tree that could be kept in a cylindrical shape.

Thanks

Have you looked at "pleaching" the trees??

Fantastic results when its done propperly.:D

Can I also say "birch" too...as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

paddy147 wrote: »
    Have you looked at "pleaching" the trees??

Fantastic results when its done propperly.:D

Can I also say "birch" too...as an alternative.

Lol, Paddy, there is a group of us should be called the Birch tree supporters society, since we are always recommending them. They are pretty well the perfect tree though!

Another possibility OP is the fastigiate or columnular cherry trees. We have one that has been in - oh 15 years maybe, it is about 15 to 20 ft tall, and has stayed narrow without looking strangled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

They will look great in a formal garden. Hardier alternatives for Ireland would be juniper skyrocket, or yew (taxus baccata). There are another few juniper varieties that are tall and slim. Juniperus chinensis 'Hetzii Columnaris' would be a tall one... 15 to 20 ft.

Yew will give you the darker colour, but skyrocket will give the height.

Advertisement